Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

I Run a G.M.O. Company — and I Support G.M.O. Labeling

TTIP is running into problems in Europe over GMO labeling but this article is about GMO labeling in the US

GMO business guy supports labeling.

The way I see it, you chew the GMO product up, let's say a carrot. This starts the breakdown process, you're saliva starts to dissolve some of the carrot. The carrot goes into your stomach and is further dissolve by acid. Now this carrot slurry goes into your gut. You're gut treats the slurry like a grocery store, taking the valuable nutrients and leaving the unusable stuff behind. Bacteria help out.

There's no reason to fear GMOs. It's just food like all the other food we eat.

Much, much more at this link

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/16/op...-labeling.html

I became a founder of a biotechnology company that makes products with genetically modified organisms for the food industry. Like 88 percent of my fellow scientists, I believe that genetically engineered foods are safe. But unlike many of my colleagues, I’m among the 89 percent of Americans who believe that bioengineered ingredients should be identified on food packaging.

To me, there’s no contradiction in these two beliefs. For years, scientists have celebrated the many benefits of genetic engineering, from increased crop yields to improved nutritional content. They have also been embracing transparency, in the form of open access to research findings and calls for increased public engagement. It doesn’t make sense to advocate a better understanding of biotechnology in one breath and, in the other, tell consumers they don’t need to know when that technology is used to make their food.

Foods with bioengineered ingredients are safe, but shrouding them in secrecy breeds doubt and fear. Clear, informative labeling is a first step toward transparency that can build trust and educate consumers. But trust has to go both ways: Biotechnology companies and food producers must trust consumers to educate themselves and make informed decisions.

Some major food companies, most notably Campbell Soups, have recently announced that they will start putting G.M.O. labeling on their products. This is a good first step, but more companies need to follow. The same goes for a new labeling law in Vermont — which is likely to set a de facto national standard — that requires that foods containing bioengineered ingredients be labeled with the words “produced with genetic engineering.” This is not nearly enough information for consumers to make informed choices.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Can I have a super-carrot please?

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with GMOs. It's just more of the anti-vaxxer type nonsense. Places like Whole Foods have marketing departments too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    People avoiding GMO's because they believe they cause cancer isn't an informed choice either.
    It's a more informed choice then having no information at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    It's a more informed choice then having no information at all.
    Misinformation is worse than no information.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind labeling, as long as retailers don't start charging a premium for the GMO products.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    There is nothing wrong with GMOs. It's just more of the anti-vaxxer type nonsense. Places like Whole Foods have marketing departments too.
    Who honestly knows anymore what to believe these days?

I tend not to believe a damn thing anymore, not against- or in favor of things, thanks to so many groups claiming different things these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Misinformation is worse than no information.
    Well society hasn't collapsed despite misinformation being a popular tool in many segments of society. I don't know why people make such a big deal about it in this context when it goes on all over the place all the time.

Though speaking of misinformation: Why are you sure GMO are safe? There have been many instances in the past where something seemed safe but then after years it suddenly turned out to be quite dangerous. From the top of my head: smoking, asbestos, that medicine that caused birth defects.

my personal opinion is that they are probably safe if used responsibly and ethically, but they currently aren't being used responsibly and ethically in at least some cases, and thus not regulated enough.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-17 at 09:47 AM.

People have a right to know what it is that they're purchasing and eating. That way they're free to pick and choose as they see fit and the burden of responsibility is upon their shoulders.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Who honestly knows anymore what to believe these days?

I tend not to believe a damn thing anymore, not against- or in favor of things, thanks to so many groups claiming different things these days.
    Really, that is the best attitude to have (I'm not being sarcastic).

In Vermont, Bernie's home state, they passes a law making them put “produced with genetic engineering.” on the label. I think that wording is going to instill needless fear in the masses. How about "a GMO product" or just "GMO"?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Dude, you really need to use quotes. I thought you were someone accomplished instead of a random dude on GenOT now for a minute. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In Vermont, Bernie's home state, they passes a law making them put “produced with genetic engineering.” on the label. I think that wording is going to instill needless fear in the masses. How about "a GMO product" or just "GMO"?
    One term is pointlessly technicalising the product, while the other is marginalising the product with yet another abbreviation you guys love so much. How about you instead make it a useful label and say "Genetically modified with X" where X is the type of modification?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Good for him, he is free to put that on his products.
    I don't see why it should be added. It doesn't matter and only promotes uninformed choices.

This line might be the most important one:

People avoiding GMO's because they believe they cause cancer isn't an informed choice either.
    Why is it so bad someone doesn't want to eat that?

False or partial information is often worse than no information.
    Not in cases such as this. It's far, far better for people to be able to know exactly what they're consuming than it is for them to not know what it is that they're eating. If many businesses and producers of food products can bend over backwards to accommodate religious preferences such as 'Halal' by clearly labeling them as such then there's no real reason why they can't extend the same courtesy to those who may not wish to consume genetically altered products.

It's a lifestyle choice. Much like how people choose to become vegetarians, pescetarians or vegans.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to eat non GMO foods go live in a secluded section of the Amazon and pick wild berries for food. Otherwise, you're eating GMO food.

Quote Originally Posted by Macedonicus View Post
    If you want to eat non GMO foods go live in a secluded section of the Amazon and pick wild berries for food. Otherwise, you're eating GMO food.
    What? xD

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    What? xD
    A lot of wheat and rice is genetically modified, most people eat it.

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A lot of wheat and rice is genetically modified, most people eat it.
    Are you one of those people that can't tell the difference between actual modification of gene code and crossbreeding? :P

Back in the day people didn't know asbestos is toxic, that doesn't mean it didn't kill people before they realised that. As long as there are doubts whether GMO food has no long-term harmful effects on human organism, people have the right to know what they're eating. Those who want to risk it are free to do so, those who don't should also have that right. I personally don't really care about GMO, but I understand people that do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.