Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The dutch rudder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dutch courage, for people that need a beer to grow a pair.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well in Italy(and most places they sell coffee) they have Caffè Americano(American Coffee).

Its Espresso with added water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Well in Italy(and most places they sell coffee) they have Caffè Americano(American Coffee).

Hahaha nice burn

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Hahaha nice burn
    You also have the American Deadlift. Its a Deadlift with a shorter range of motion so you can pull more weight.

That came about in WW2 when American troops stationed in Italy wanted a drink more like the filter coffee they were used to at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ah there we go, I knew we had something. Totally forgot about these. They'd be better without the sugar coating on top, though.
    I know right?
    Very moist with some rum-y flavor but no sugar glazing.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Pass the Dutchie.

10+ Year Old Account

In the USA it's water with a pinch of Coffee added....
    And for some stupid reason Americans call Espresso Expresso..

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Cool American = Ranch style Salad Dressing here in Germany.

I only know 'American Dressing'

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    "Deep pan" pizzas usually get referred to as American style over here.

Deleted
    We've got something called Boston Cucumber here in Sweden that has nothing at all to do with Boston. It's a kind of pickled condement. It's really nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    In the USA it's water with a pinch of Coffee added....
    And for some stupid reason Americans call Espresso Expresso..
    yep, I hate drinking coffee in the US. They are so close to some of the worlds best coffee producers, but they butcher the raw ingredients and make some horrible black mud.

Norway on the other hand, is far from the source, but make great coffee. Might be because we consume more coffee per capita than anyone else.

Deleted
    There is a town called America in the southern part of the Netherlands. It's named after the continent.

As far as things being called American I can indeed only think of clothing size, with American sizes being short and wide as opposed to long and slimmer as is the norm here. Some stores and restaurants also like to slap 'American' on things associated with fastfood (though now that I think of it, the store that does this the most is originally German).

I never heard of the 'Amerikaanse fuif' but that sounds like something from the 50's or 60's. The word 'fuif' gives it away. The 'Amerikaanse toestanden' I do remember but we got over that phase, though things like school shootings are still considered to be typically American.

As far as derogatory Dutch terms go, I always liked the Dutch nightingale, also known as a frog.

EDIT: As for the coffee consumption, Finland wins that most of the time. Highest 3 tend to be Finland, Netherlands and Norway and the order differs from statistic to statistic.
    Last edited by mmoc7a2ccf784d; 2016-05-17 at 01:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    We've got something called Boston Cucumber here in Sweden that has nothing at all to do with Boston. It's a kind of pickled condement. It's really nice.

Here we just call it cucumber salad

10+ Year Old Account
    yep, I hate drinking coffee in the US. They are so close to some of the worlds best coffee producers, but they butcher the raw ingredients and make some horrible black mud.
    I had a friend, American who is working in the coffee business. He once explained to me the reasons why.
    The US imports only a certain set of coffee beans. Europe imports a larger variety, hence the better coffee flavors.

Dutch courage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_courage

Going Dutch, splitting the bill

Double Dutch
    Dutch uncle
    Big in Japan
    Indian Summer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I had a friend, American who is working in the coffee business. He once explained to me the reasons why.
    The US imports only a certain set of coffee beans. Europe imports a larger variety, hence the better coffee flavors.
    Thats one reason. Another is how they burn the coffee beans afterwards. In addition the coffee is usally suited for the American tounge, so they places that sell coffee make that black mud they call coffee, since thats what Americans are used to. Same with how most Europeans cant stand American Chocolate bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Sometimes we call that horrible fake plastic cheese that comes pre-sliced for burgers "American cheese."
    In America, we call that American Cheese as well and it's delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblykiss View Post
    Big in Japan
    We have big in France. Jerry Lewis was big in France.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland