Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    So I'm at work right now and the guy that sits on the other side of my desks partition can't keep quiet.

I'm talking:

• Excessively loud breathing
    • Excessively loud moaning/panting
    • Talking out loud to himself

I just asked him if he can stop talking out loud, and his response was:

"No, I'm thinking"
    "put headphones on"
    "not even talking loud"
    "your music half the time is louder"

I just left it there since he's very easily put on edge and I don't want to add "whiny bitching" to his list.

Thoughts on what to do?

I can't put my headphones all day, I get a sore neck from listening to music too long.
    You to supervisor: I was wondering if there was an empty desk I can relocate to?
    Supervisor: Why?
    You: my current location has several distraction that are beyond my control, and I don't want my work performance to suffer.
    Supervisor: what kind of distraction?
    You: "describe the noise but don't say it's coming from a person"
    Supervisor: let me see what available because we appreciate your service here or hey welcome to the real world, or at this time we can't relocate you, or email when the sound is happening.

All these scenories I have dealt with, and these are all the answers I have I given.

Edit: fat finger the iPhone

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

Problem solved..

/thread
    Or use a clothespin on your nose when they smell too bad? lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would much rather have to put up with that than what I have at home. I live the most uncivilized, annoying and loud neighbors above me in my flat. Would shout and laugh like retards up until 5-6AM every single day and I have to get up at 7AM every day as well, you kind of just learn to live with it, life is shit. Since everyone around them is so deaf and don't want speak up so we can get them evicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That is not evidence it isn't too loud when you do.

If you have the support of others, then go to a supervisor collectively if it is affecting the workplace. If nobody else is willing to go forward, then is he really an issue?

Perhaps the two of you have been put together because you are both annoyingly loud.
    You're probably right.

The two words I say all day must be really annoying to some. He must have some super ears attached to that head of his, considering when my headphones are on my desk, 2 feet from my ears, I can't hear the music.

There are 4 people within 6 feet of me, it has nothing to do with location or "grouping" of people. We chose our seats 2 years ago and the rest of the desks slowly filled in when new people started working here.

I've openly asked him to stop talking to himself once but that was well over a year ago and I forget his response. Someone else mentioned it and he just said he's thinking.

It's bugged me for the past 2 years, he's the equivalent of a mouth breather sitting next to me, can barely breathe properly. It sounds as if he's holding his breathe for 20 seconds then taking big gasps of air to make up for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably right.

The two words I say all day must be really annoying to some. He must have some super ears attached to that head of his, considering when my headphones are on my desk, 2 feet from my ears, I can't hear the music.

There are 4 people within 6 feet of me, it has nothing to do with location or "grouping" of people. We chose our seats 2 years ago and the rest of the desks slowly filled in when new people started working here.

I've openly asked him to stop talking to himself once but that was well over a year ago and I forget his response. Someone else mentioned it and he just said he's thinking.

It's bugged me for the past 2 years, he's the equivalent of a mouth breather sitting next to me, can barely breathe properly. It sounds as if he's holding his breathe for 20 seconds then taking big gasps of air to make up for it.
    Just because you don't think you are annoying to work next to, doesn't mean you aren't. I have had to deal with enough office dramas to realise that people rarely see their own flaws, yet are amazingly adept at seeing flaws in others.

If you feel that you ave a genuine complaint then take it to a supervisor, they know your office, all we have to go on is 'he said, she said', which is rarely enough information to come up with an informed decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you don't think you are annoying to work next to, doesn't mean you aren't.
    I would argue that the evidence speaks against him.
    The fact that he's bitching about it here on this place. That's to me at least enough evidence to suspect him being quite annoying.
    Let alone, I wonder if he currently wastes his bosses money by chatting instead of working.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Just because you don't think you are annoying to work next to, doesn't mean you aren't. I have had to deal with enough office dramas to realise that people rarely see their own flaws, yet are amazingly adept at seeing flaws in others.

If you feel that you ave a genuine complaint then take it to a supervisor, they know your office, all we have to go on is 'he said, she said', which is rarely enough information to come up with an informed decision.
    Do you see your own flaws? You seem to be amazingly adept at pointing out mine, someone you've never met before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I would argue that the evidence speaks against him.
    The fact that he's bitching about it here on this place. That's to me at least enough evidence to suspect him being quite annoying.
    Let alone, I wonder if he currently wastes his bosses money by chatting instead of working.
    Last I checked, I asked what others would do or their thoughts. I didn't come here and complain without offering some sort of discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    How... how do you get neck pain from listening to music.... just out of curiosity
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    How does someone breathe loudly enough to perturb their neighbor? OP, I suspect you're way oversensitive about this stuff.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    How does someone breathe loudly enough to perturb their neighbor? OP, I suspect you're way oversensitive about this stuff.
    The person sitting on the other side of him must be too then.
    The person sitting TWO people away from him must be too then.

10+ Year Old Account
    The person sitting on the other side of him must be too then.
    The person sitting TWO people away from him must be too then.
    I've just never in my life heard someone breathe loudly enough for it to be an issue.

I'm glad I have an office of my own, so that people don't complain about my typing and mouse clicking.

I've just never in my life heard someone breathe loudly enough for it to be an issue.

I'm glad I have an office of my own, so that people don't complain about my typing and mouse clicking.
    Quiet office, not a lot of white noise. His gasps for air are quite loud.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

I was somewhat worried about my mechanical keyboard, but I'm in my own office, and we all make loud typing noises. My boss has a horrible squishy membrane keyboard and I can still hear him, but typing sounds in an office is just normal for me.

As for the breathing, I've known a few who do. I don't know how they manage to do it, but they exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, everyone is different I guess. I'm one of these people who tunes everything out that isn't what he's concentrating on. I could sleep through a tornado, and I don't notice when my co-workers are talking loudly nearby. Even the rhythmic pounding from the treadmill upstairs doesn't usually phase me. I'll have coworkers come to me from other offices to complain about someone else making noise, and I'll always be like, "they were making noise?"

I'm sorry you don't seem to have the ability to tune that stuff out. Seems like a useful talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I was somewhat worried about my mechanical keyboard, but I'm in my own office, and we all make loud typing noises. My boss has a horrible squishy membrane keyboard and I can still hear him, but typing sounds in an office is just normal for me.

As for the breathing, I've known a few who do. I don't know how they manage to do it, but they exist.
    Mechanical keyboards actually seem quieter to me. Rubber dome boards seem to make a loud CLACK sound, while mechanical boards tend to make a marginally quieter CLICK sound. But that click seems to happen at a frequency that bugs a lot of people for some reason. I wish I could bring a mechanical keyboard to my office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you see your own flaws? You seem to be amazingly adept at pointing out mine, someone you've never met before.
    Yet you expect us to judge someone we have never met based on your say so, someone that you have had a beef with previously.

He might have trouble breathing, or be in pain/discomfort.

otherwise it reminds my of my boys who would complain the other is breathing to loud, and wanted me to stop the others breathing...

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, everyone is different I guess. I'm one of these people who tunes everything out that isn't what he's concentrating on. I could sleep through a tornado, and I don't notice when my co-workers are talking loudly nearby. Even the rhythmic pounding from the treadmill upstairs doesn't usually phase me. I'll have coworkers come to me from other offices to complain about someone else making noise, and I'll always be like, "they were making noise?"

I'm sorry you don't seem to have the ability to tune that stuff out. Seems like a useful talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Mechanical keyboards actually seem quieter to me. Rubber dome boards seem to make a loud CLACK sound, while mechanical boards tend to make a marginally quieter CLICK sound. But that click seems to happen at a frequency that bugs a lot of people for some reason. I wish I could bring a mechanical keyboard to my office.
    I had to develop the ability to tune noise out, particularly while sleeping. I used to be really bad about it to the point where wind blowing a branch against some part of the building I shouldn't even be able to hear would bug me. Now I just kinda focus on what I'm doing and it naturally phases the background out. Living near a railroad track helped the sleeping part. That and pets.

The keyboard depends on the switch type, and how hard you press the keys. I've gotten to the point where the clack sound isn't as loud. But yeah, rubber dome keyboards have to be bottomed out to guarantee a keypress, so they always clack. No click, though. I love my click-clack combo, but could get some o-rings to reduce the clack. Though no one's complained so I probably won't. I brought a monitor, mechanical keyboard, and laser mouse to my work. I have to use their rig, obviously, but might as well use my extra accessories from home. The monitor was an extra from when I upgraded from 24" 1200p -> 27" 1440p monitors.

Deleted
    So I'm at work right now and the guy that sits on the other side of my desks partition can't keep quiet.

I'm talking:

• Excessively loud breathing
    • Excessively loud moaning/panting
    • Talking out loud to himself

I just asked him if he can stop talking out loud, and his response was:

"No, I'm thinking"
    "put headphones on"
    "not even talking loud"
    "your music half the time is louder"

I just left it there since he's very easily put on edge and I don't want to add "whiny bitching" to his list.

Thoughts on what to do?

I can't put my headphones all day, I get a sore neck from listening to music too long.

Edit: I should have added that it's possible sounds just straight up annoy me.

Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a purported disorder in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds. It is also called "soft sound sensitivity syndrome," "select sound sensitivity syndrome" ("4S"), "decreased sound tolerance", and "sound-rage".[1][2] Misophonia is not recognized as a disorder by standard diagnostic criteria, and there is no evidence-based research on its prevalence or treatment.
    Answer is obvious. If I were you I would wait a few weeks to see if you can adjust to it, if not record these noises and report it to a manager or whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    These are things you will have to accept if you want to work in the adult film industry.
    Kek'd hard.

I feel your pain, OP. Been there.
    You can talk to your manager of course but it might make you come off in a bad way.
    Might just have to deal with it.

Got my very own office for the first time last year. Best thing ever!