Thread: Aliens!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    That is an unknown.

We know that life can exist in this universe, Earth is proof of that, we do not know how rare it is. We may be a statistical freak and life is unique to the planet, or life may be relatively common.
    I'm optimistic, and side with most Astronomers on that.
    They too think it's just a matter of time.
    Now that life can likely mean nothing more than some microbes of some sort.
    Not animals or intelligent beings.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Are we really greater than Planets? Stars? Solar systems? Galaxies? The Universe spawned them.
    Na, even our Sun is nothing special, having a visible range of only about 8 ly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we really greater than Planets? Stars? Solar systems? Galaxies? The Universe spawned them.
    We are literally stardust.
    That makes optimistic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I'm optimistic, and side with most Astronomers on that.
    They too think it's just a matter of time.
    Now that life can likely mean nothing more than some microbes of some sort.
    Not animals or intelligent beings.
    That's not really interesting, when they announce to have found microbes on Mars, most people will be like "so what?". It needs to be at least animals big enough to be seen with the eyes to be able to draw any interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    That's not really interesting, when they announce to have found microbes on Mars, most people will be like "so what?". It needs to be at least animals big enough to be seen with the eyes to be able to draw any interest.
    LOL... but that's exactly what will happen.
    Yes, the average pleb likely reacts that way. Science will celebrate just as much as if they discovered another humanoid life form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Just remember to add the fact that none of those other civilizations will ever meet any other, and will most likely never exist at the exact same time, because insanely vast distances and light speed, and because civilizations are like sparks; here one moment and gone the next.

Also, humans are only a couple hundred thousand years old. So no, "human civilization" hasn't even reached spark status yet.
    Let me remind you that shortly before 1900s everyone assumed that human flight would take million years to make.
    They made that judgement based on failed experiments made by Samuel Langley (top tier aeronautics expert) with near-limitless funding (a.k.a the government)
    How could anyone overcome something that the best of the best experts in a given field with near limitless funds could not?
    Until some bicycle scrubs called Wright brothers made a waterfall of everyone's jaws and made first human flight just 9 years later.

I think somewhere along those 9 billion years on some distant planet called Zublom there was a little green alien called Bliborg who pulled off same thing Wright brothers pulled off here on earth and made space farring possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Let me remind you that shortly before 1900s everyone assumed that human flight would take million years to make.
    Feel free to find a direct quote talking about a "million years", but besides that, flight was already a thing; birds were already flying, arrows were flying (sort of), so no universal physical boundary such as the speed of light was being broken.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-05-18 at 09:57 AM.

Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I said most of the time, contrary to all the time

And his OP scratches that very field.
    Are they here, were they here, I've seen one.

No, they aren't here. No they weren't here, and no you didn't see one.
    Zero evidence exists, let alone proof.

As for life in space, that can be answered with a confident yes.
    It's a matter of time when we find it. But it's out there.
    I'm sorry... who are you?

Did I even give my opinion of the matter? No, all I said was I saw an unidentified object. I do believe that our minds can make things out into something that their not though. Was it an Alien? I don't know... It's obviously just weather balloon that can move fast and define physics. lol

I'm reading other peoples posts and they are saying some awesome things that bring up really cool ideas of what and how they could exist and even look like.
    What the hell is your problem with this? We haven't even brought up conspiracies.
    Kindly... Go away!

Deleted
    Leonardo DaVinci invented flight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhapunch09 View Post
    Kindly... Go away!
    That's not how it works here

Deleted
    Feel free to find a direct quote talking about a "million years", but besides that, flight was already a thing; birds were already flying, arrows were flying (sort of), so no universal physical boundary such as the speed of light was being broken.
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...669D946297D6CF

"[...]it might be assumed that the flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continious efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one to ten million years [...]"

I doubt we can speak of things like universal physical boundary when we gave those bitches called black holes who take a piss on them and throw our entire instruments and laws into dustbin.

If there's one thing for certain that we know is that we dont know things we dont know.

Deleted
    http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...669D946297D6CF

"[...]it might be assumed that the flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continious efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one to ten million years [...]"
    Fair enough.

I doubt we can speak of things like universal physical boundary when we gave those bitches called black holes who take a piss on them and throw our entire instruments and laws into dustbin.

If there's one thing for certain that we know is that we dont know things we dont know.
    We also do know what we do know, or at least what we think we do know, and what we think we do know limits what we think we know we can do. You know?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-05-18 at 10:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Existence of life outside of earth is a very high probability, almost certain to some degree.
    In the other hand, probability of mutual communication methods between the two life forms is extremely low, almost 0.

We are sharing a very high percentage of DNA structure with creatures on earth, and after millions of years, we still have to put enormous effort into studying other species if we want to have a grasp on their behavioral habits, let alone directly communicating with them. Now imagine a completely different life form. Or even the same life form which has gone through different evolutionary steps than us.

But again, at the end of the day, almost 0 in a universe of "infinite" stars, galaxies and probably membranes of existence will end up being a high number. So never loose hope.
    I watched a very cool documentary about what you're talking about. If you're interested.
    https://youtu.be/rkXSLBQrNSE

If you look at all our movies and entertainment of what aliens look like Neil deGrasse Tyson claims it to be all wrong. Similar to what you said. I would have to agree.
    But I dunno out of all the plants, MAYBE there could be one with the same physical makeup similar to how we look. (ie, noes, eyes, ect.)
    We are finding on average 1 new planet every week!!! ^^
    Last edited by buddhapunch09; 2016-05-18 at 10:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhapunch09 View Post
    I watched a very cool documentary about what you're talking about. If you're interested.
    https://youtu.be/rkXSLBQrNSE

If you look at all our movies and entertainment of what aliens look like Neil deGrasse Tyson claims it to be all wrong. Similar to what you said. I would have to agree.
    But I dunno out of all the plants, MAYBE there could be one with the same physical makeup similar to how we look. (ie, noes, eyes, ect.)
    We are finding on average 1 new planet every week!!! ^^
    Until we know what the probability of life arising on any given planet is, the number of planets we discover is somewhat academic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Do they still probe through the backdoor? Or are they passed that now?
    That's how Aliens say hi.

I think there are other life forms in this vast universe. But finding them or even being able to recognize them as life forms would be difficult. Another problem would be consciousness or how they perceive the universe. Due to Hollywood we think aliens will be like us eyes, nose, ears (nice butt and huge boobs). They will most likely have very different sensory organs suitable for their environment. Even if aliens are sufficiently intellectual enough, communicating will be more difficult than talking to a tree.
    Last edited by mmoc2ee9170beb; 2016-05-18 at 10:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until we know what the probability of life arising on any given planet is, the number of planets we discover is somewhat academic.
    Yeah there is an equation called "Drakes Equation". As someone else mentioned earlier it factors variables for the possibility of life. But yes you are right in the sense that it is all somewhat academic because the variables could be anything and they all could give us different answers and outcomes.

I'm not sure I think it is Kepler that is flying out there taking photos of planets. They point it at a star and through infrared they are watching planets pass by their sun. They go over it in the documentary. You should check it out, its pretty cool.

Deleted
    We also do know what we do know, or at least what we think we do know, and what we think we do know limits what we think we know we can do. You know?
    Thing is when we get to know what we did not know we tend to invalidate what we thought we know as a fact.
    Today we call them facts, tomorrow we will call them myths.

I think stories about alien encounters are most easily explained by our brain's imagination, so that discussion does not really interest me in that way (although it's interesting from a psychological perspective; how our brains works, that is).

With that out of the way, alien life certainly seems possible (Earth has life). The question remains however how common life is, and perhaps we're just special snowflakes.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I think stories about alien encounters are most easily explained by our brain's imagination, so that discussion does not really interest me in that way (although it's interesting from a psychological perspective; how our brains works, that is).

With that out of the way, alien life certainly seems possible (Earth has life). The question remains however how common life is, and perhaps we're just special snowflakes.
    You mean, we as in Earth?
    What I keep missing all the time when people discuss this topic.
    The fact that there are millions of life forms on Earth.
    The estimates go to about 8.7 million species sharing the plant.
    From that aspect, it makes it a lot more possible to find planets/space bodies that harbor only a few life forms instead of millions.

Deleted
    You mean, we as in Earth?
    What I keep missing all the time when people discuss this topic.
    The fact that there are millions of life forms on Earth.
    The estimates go to about 8.7 million species sharing the plant.
    From that aspect, it makes it a lot more possible to find planets/space bodies that harbor only a few life forms instead of millions.
    If there is life on a planet then there must be alot of it, not just a few. The food chain must be established. Also, try removing all forests and plantlife from a planet and see how long you can survive.