Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Better stop eating broccoli, brussels sprouts, corn, bananas, cabbage, kale, beef, and most of the other foods you probably eat then.
    Bananas are pretty much the ultimate example of GMOs. They are so vastly different from where they started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Bananas are pretty much the ultimate example of GMOs. They are so vastly different from where they started.
    I always like this one:

All the same species, modified by humans into various cultivars.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Heh

Who wants some seeds? The bananas we get in the supermarket are all genetically identical because we have to "clone" them. They were selected to be seedless, but that means that they also can't reproduce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh

Who wants some seeds? The bananas we get in the supermarket are all genetically identical because we have to "clone" them. They were selected to be seedless, but that means that they also can't reproduce.
    lieeeeees.......
    That's how you grow bananas

"The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    We in Europe do NOT want this GMO crap here. I don't care how much they say they're good to go, I'd MUCH rather have all natural food.
    That's rather impossible. Most foods we eat have been modified by hundreds of years of selective breeding and thus genetic modification. You want an all natural apple? Go eat a crab apple then. Animals are also selectively bread to increase traits that will help us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh

lieeeeees.......
    That's how you grow bananas

Srsly now.
    I would consider myself rather careful.
    I am not a supporter, nor an opposer. I am simply waiting until we have more conclusive data, until science as a whole finds stronger consent.
    GMO is certainly not in the same wheelhouse just yet, like say Climate Change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Which GMOs? They are not a single thing.... they are many if not infinite. If I genetically alter an egg to contain a lethal dose of cyanid (while trying to make an apple hash egg), it's not safe. Thus not all GMOs are safe.
    Thankfully for us no one is trying to sell us cyanide filled eggs. This is your argument? "Some one could make something bad THEN they wouldnt all be safe"......thats a shit argument, you know that right?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Srsly now.
    I would consider myself rather careful.
    I am not a supporter, nor an opposer. I am simply waiting until we have more conclusive data, until science as a whole finds stronger consent.
    GMO is certainly not in the same wheelhouse just yet, like say Climate Change.
    Well, there's quite a spectrum of difference on GMOs, though. There are things like me and Reeve mentioned above where we're on solid consensus that they're entirely safe. And then there's things like "Roundup Ready Crops" that we still have more research to do.

I always like this one:

All the same species, modified by humans into various cultivars.
    Wait, is this right? COOL! Man we humans are a clever bunch.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    From the article:

Predictable. You can't sway unreasonable people with logic and reason.
    Choices are choices. That's unreasonable? You sure? I dont like fish. IS that unreasonable too?

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Choices are choices. That's unreasonable? You sure? I dont like fish. IS that unreasonable too?
    it is if you think fish is someone super dangerous or risky, most people who avoid gmos do so out of fear they might be hazardous not out of a simple dislike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    OK. Let's pretend like there aren't reasons for making choices.

If you didn't like fish because you thought eating it would make your nose fall off, then yes, that would be unreasonable.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    We in Europe do NOT want this GMO crap here. I don't care how much they say they're good to go, I'd MUCH rather have all natural food.
    You think Europe has a self sustaining Agriculture economy?

You have already eaten imported GMO food whether you know or not.

GMOs are just like global warming alarmism. If you look at who is putting out the data and who is making money based on it, you will see a correlation. Everybody pays for data to look the way they want it. It's hard to find honest scientists who are giving unbiased information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    GMOs are just like global warming alarmism. If you look at who is putting out the data and who is making money based on it, you will see a correlation. Everybody pays for data to look the way they want it. It's hard to find honest scientists who are giving unbiased information.
    This is just an excuse to handwave away any scientific study you don't like. It's intellectually lazy. Any study published will have its methodology explained and thus you can assess the validity of it yourself. Not to mention peer review.

Deleted
    Americans ban European Products, such as French Cheeses or Kinder Surprise and many more. Maybe the US should look at its own hypocrisy before whining about some place else banning its products.

Large scale trade with the US is a bad idea. Look at how they are screwing over Mexican, Canadian Ranchers or the Canadian Softwoods Industry. Do we really want them to have control over our food supplies?

Better stop eating broccoli, brussels sprouts, corn, bananas, cabbage, kale, beef, and most of the other foods you probably eat then.
    I'm all for GMO crops but the only GMO crop you listed is corn. The rest are cultivars.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ive been eating GMO Oranges since like. . 82.

And so have all of you. You just didnt know it.
    There are no GMO oranges available. They are cultivars or hybrids.

There are very few GMO foods publicly available. Corn and soy are the big ones. Hawaiian Papaya, some zucchinis and a few more approved listed here http://www.isaaa.org/gmapprovaldatabase/cropslist/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Americans ban European Products, such as French Cheeses or Kinder Surprise and many more. Maybe the US should look at its own hypocrisy before whining about some place else banning its products.

Large scale trade with the US is a bad idea. Look at how they are screwing over Mexican, Canadian Ranchers or the Canadian Softwoods Industry. Do we really want them to have control over our food supplies?
    Fresh products in general are a no no in the US.
    Say you have some fresh bread with you, when you travel from Europe to the US. If customs finds it, you have to either eat it, or throw it in the trash bin.

They're saying GMOs as a class don't have any more risks than any other type of food. So while you could say, "This plant is dangerous," it's completely unhelpful to say, "These plants are GMO, so they may be dangerous."
    While unhelpful (because it is so obviously true) it is at least not potentially harmful like stating "these pants are GMO, GMO is save so they must be save" (which is and obvious fallancy but something people are often happy not to comment on when it is assumed to be true".

In short: Yes, we know GMO can turn out save products, we also know it can turn out unsave products. Thus we must make sure case by case. This is the same as for any other product someone could come up with. There is no reason to make an exception for GMO.

Demonstrating unrelated truths we know already again and again won't suddenly produce some reason for such an exception no matter how much money it would save not to do savety tests. So this was simply an useless repetition of something we knew already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    OK. Let's pretend like there aren't reasons for making choices.

If you didn't like fish because you thought eating it would make your nose fall off, then yes, that would be unreasonable.
    Why the fuck do you care about WHY some people decide not to eat GMO?
    Mind your business?