Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

TPP will boost US economy 0.15%

Not a whole lot. $42.7 billion, by 2032 and 128,000 full-time jobs. Is it worth it?

I've heard Vietnam will get a 20% boost to their economy.

Read more at link

http://www.wsj.com/articles/study-pr...omy-1463614427

President Barack Obama’s signature Pacific trade agreement, which has come under intense fire in the 2016 election, would boost American agriculture and the services sector that dominates the U.S. economy but weigh on manufacturing, a nonpartisan government agency said Wednesday.

If ratified, the 12-nation trade agreement would likely lift U.S. gross domestic product by a small amount—0.15%, or $42.7 billion, by 2032—and increase employment by a net of 128,000 full-time jobs, according to the report from the U.S. International Trade Commission.

Signed in February, the Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, would lower or eliminate tariffs and drop many other trade barriers between the U.S. and Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Vietnam, Malaysia and five other countries around the Pacific, not including China.

U.S. food and agriculture would get a big boost from the TPP, which would lower barriers to U.S. exports to Japan and other countries. The services sector would get a $42.3 billion lift by 2032, including $11.6 billion for business services and $7.5 billion for retailers and wholesalers. But output in manufacturing would decrease slightly under the TPP, as the trade deal opens some U.S. companies to greater competition.

The U.S. trade balance with TPP countries would improve over 15 years, the ITC says, but the overall U.S. trade deficit is unlikely to change much due to the TPP.

In recent months the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Donald Trump, and the Democratic front-runner, Hillary Clinton, have rejected the TPP.

Now Congress is unlikely to consider the deal, which requires majority votes in the House and Senate, before the November election.

Mr. Trump and Sen. Bernie Sanders, Mrs. Clinton’s Democratic rival, have slammed past trade agreements and blamed U.S. trade policy for the uncertain labor market and stagnant incomes that have hurt many of their supporters.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Enjoy your shitty trade pacts, just dont bring em here.

It boosts our economy by .15%, at the cost of having our economy boosted by significantly more without it...

10+ Year Old Account
    A polished turd is still a turd.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Fine, we don't want to trade with you any ways.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Fine, we don't want to trade with you any ways.
    wait, you want TPP?

all you posted in the OP was an article
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, basically it would make the US more dependent on cheap imported foreign goods from questionable allies?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    wait, you want TPP?

all you posted in the OP was an article
    I think it will probably be worth it overall. You can see how manufacturing will take a hit, I wouldn't want TPP if I were in manufacturing.

It's like NAFTA, overall it was good but a few people got screwed.

-- Capt. Copeland

TPP is a pile of garbage. There is a reason it was drafted in secret just like the TTIP. TTIP is even difficult as fuck for government leaders to even read.

I think it will probably be worth it overall. You can see how manufacturing will take a hit, I wouldn't want TPP if I were in manufacturing.

you are aware that NAFTA and those type of agreements is seen by the current generation as a leading reason to the bank collapse, two fold after the panama papers release.

not trying to make this political, but if I recall correct you're a trump supporter, and one of his bigger complaints about the establishment is FTA's
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-05-20 at 12:55 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.

One thing to consider is the poorer countries in the deal get a huge boost to their economy, like 10-20%. This will greatly improve their standard of living. One day they'll be able to buy stuff from us.

-- Capt. Copeland

One thing to consider is the poorer countries in the deal get a huge boost to their economy, like 10-20%. This will greatly improve their standard of living. One day they'll be able to buy stuff from us.
    If we produce anything. YOU genuinely should kill this argument, and eat it, and fuck it till it dies. This argument has been used with CHINA.

- - - Updated - - -

It was such a good deal that we have huge spike in unemployment AND gov't debt AND trade deficit AND loss of MANY small businesses. Is not NAFTA great for private corporations?

ya... all that U.S. produced "stuff"

pretty sure most countries around the world understand that the only time they will ever see the words "made in the USA" will be the bombs we drop on their cities and at the butt of the weapons the criminal dictatorships we installed use to keep the populace down.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-05-20 at 01:00 AM.

Calculating gains of extremely complex policies decades out down to the hundredth of a percent is proof that economists have a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    you are aware that NAFTA and those type of agreements is seen by the current generation as a leading reason to the bank collapse, two fold after the panama papers release.

not trying to make this political, but if I recall correct you're a trump supporter, and one of his bigger complaints about the establishment is FTA's
    Both Trump and Hillary have come out against it. I think all the candidates have said they're against it. It's just stuff you say during the election.

-- Capt. Copeland

Both Trump and Hillary have come out against it. I think all the candidates have said they're against it. It's just stuff you say during the election.
    and in both the cases it is exactly that " stuff you say during the election" (but don't mean)- that part is important for both sides to understand.

Deleted
    The Wall Street Journal is owned by News Corp. News Corp is owned by the 101% asshole Rupert Murdoch, who also owns the bullshit propaganda network Fox News. You'd have to be a bit simple not to see this is complete BS when it's coming from the WSJ.

TPP is bad in every single way and it won't boost anything. Well, except perhaps the wallets of the Murdoch family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The Wall Street Journal is owned by News Corp. News Corp is owned by the 101% asshole Rupert Murdoch, who also owns the bullshit propaganda network Fox News. You'd have to be a bit simple not to see this is complete BS when it's coming from the WSJ.

TPP is bad in every single way and it won't boost anything. Well, except perhaps the wallets of the Murdoch family.
    Why is it bad? http://www.thanhniennews.com/comment...omy-60650.html