View Poll Results: How much student debt do you have?

Voters
223. This poll is closed
  • None

135 60.54%
  • 0 - 10K

18 8.07%
  • 10K - 20K

22 9.87%
  • 20K - 30K

8 3.59%
  • 30K - 40K

14 6.28%
  • 40K - 50K

5 2.24%
  • 50K+

21 9.42%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    None.

10chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Exactly. It took time and moving up the ladder, but got'er done. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
    No, that's the wrong kind of mindset. Maybe you made it up the ladder, but there's countless others who can't. And you end up losing smart people who would be great for the job just because you don't help them raise themselves out of poverty. People end up being screwed for at least decades because of the dumb system currently in place.

We live in a society, we're not some lonely wolves walking past one another. Society must work together to progress or it will falter. Imagine if all those people who had great ideas had not had access to education, and here I'm talking about those in modest or poor families, where would we be now? Clearly not as advanced as we are.

I'll have somewhere around $40-50k when I"m done. Tuition is about $40k a year, and scholarships and grants cut down on that a lot, but I'll still have a pretty big debt, especially compared to students outside the US.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It's something you read a lot about on the internet these days, mostly due to millennials complaining they have to face a large debt.
    This made me wonder how much debt we are actually talking about.
    Well, first: None. I paid it off. I had ~30k, didn't take terribly long to get rid of, but was a PITA.
    As for wondering "how much debt we are actually talking about": (in 2012, latest I could find)

$1.23 trillion in total U.S. student loan debt.
    71 percent of students graduating from four-year colleges had student loan debt.
    Average debt per student who had any debt at all: $29,400.

http://ticas.org/sites/default/files...nd_Sources.pdf