I blame Lords of War for WoD being so bad

Anyone remember the awesome cinemagraphics Blizzard released to hype up WoD called Lords of War?

We were introduced to these awesome characters and their story; and what happens when it comes time to play the game? Naturally all the story sucks and you barely even interact with the characters they hyped up.

Such a letdown.

If anything Lords of War made WoD's story slightly better than complete garbage. Nice bait though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

except you had to have actually seen them for that to happen

Deleted
    I liked them. And I also liked WOD. And the short story was a side project with a bit of lore. I don't get it, what are we supposed to discuss ?

My big issue with Lords of War was the Kargath retcon that was immediately followed up with "these are canon in the MU as well" only to arrive on Draenor and hear "this is a different reality entirely with a slightly different past before Garrosh even came here."

Or should I say, "my big issue with all of WoD's story was the constant back-and-forth 'how many hands wrote this story without telling the other' going on."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, those vids are great. No sign of anything like that for Legion though, which is too bad. Starcraft 2's last expansion had just one done in a similar style, so hopefully Legion will get one as well. I think Kargath's was probably my favorite. And yes, it is disappointing that the vids presented you with these complex fully-formed characters that you largely didn't have a chance to see in-game. Kilrogg was a particularly egregious example of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lords of War made me think that all of the raids were going to be fighting lieutenants or whatever of these awesome characters and then the final tier was going to be a cool raid where you finally bring them all down. Like a tier or two going after them, but never quite defeating them.

Instead you kill most of them questing, one of them is literally the first boss of the expansion, and then you never even fight their leader. Blackhand was the only impressive one and he didn't even get a Lords of War video.

Stupid in my humble opinion.

Blizzard threw a hell of alot of advertising into that Expansion. Which would explain the massive sub number jump up to 10mill at the time of release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decisive The Hallowed View Post
    Blizzard threw a hell of alot of advertising into that Expansion. Which would explain the massive sub number jump up to 10mill at the time of release.
    Well that is the marketing team's job. They really should do it for each game/expansion. IMO.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Why would you blame the thing done right, not the thing done wrong? Lords of war was amazing, it was WoD that failed to deliver.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    I for one blame the people who developed WoD but that might just be me.

I blame the developers.
    They are the ones who made it.

(Maybe the top-dogs of the company instead\too, in case they are the ones who pushed this business\development model)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This just makes zero sense...how did some animated shorts make a game bad? So they raised your expectations and hyped you up. Boy..wait until you see a trailer for a movie and then watch the actual movie ^^
    I think what he's trying to say is that if you saw a trailer for a movie that led you to believe that it would be an action movie and then you get to the theater and realize it's a rom com, then you'll think the movie is shit regardless of its actual quality because the trailer misled you.

I can kinda see where he was coming from. He felt like the Lords of War would be a huge part of the story of WoD, but they weren't as major as they should have been.

Deleted
    I blame lead game desinger.. you know, for decisions that killed the potential that WoD had...

also the overhypeing of the game, before it was even finished (and it still feels unfinished)

Quote Originally Posted by cozzri View Post
    Anyone remember the awesome cinemagraphics Blizzard released to hype up WoD called Lords of War?

We were introduced to these awesome characters and their story; and what happens when it comes time to play the game? Naturally all the story sucks and you barely even interact with the characters they hyped up.

Such a letdown.
    It's the opposite for me, I saw "Lord of War" with Nick Cage so I was pretty sure WoD would be a pile of shit and then it turned out to not be "one big pile of shit"

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

It's more just that they hyped the expansion to be something it shows virtually no signs of. Even the leveling did this.

Think about it: The Warlords were only really relevant enemies for the leveling process and a single raid. Does that really scream to you "tough, challenging opponent"? It definitely doesn't to me.
    They put such a focus on the Warlords and then did nothing with them. The warlords were simple dungeon and side-raid bosses, and only Blackhand got a battle that was fitting of him. The others came and went like chumps, we never got to see the effects of killing them and in fact their clans continued appearing at regular intervals in the Iron Horde even after their death. They received zero development, and even Ner'zhul was written off a side character. Ner'zhul. They brought back the former Lich King, they could've done so much with this guy and they dropped him in the first zone for the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Yeah, those vids are great. No sign of anything like that for Legion though, which is too bad. Starcraft 2's last expansion had just one done in a similar style, so hopefully Legion will get one as well. I think Kargath's was probably my favorite. And yes, it is disappointing that the vids presented you with these complex fully-formed characters that you largely didn't have a chance to see in-game. Kilrogg was a particularly egregious example of this.
    there will be a series similair to lords of war for legion. one for gul'dan, illidan and khadgar. there will also be 4 audio dramas and 4 digital comics.
    you can find them here http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#media
    i bet they will be coming very soon as we near the release of legion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlockblood View Post
    there will be a series similair to lords of war for legion. one for gul'dan, illidan and khadgar. there will also be 4 audio dramas and 4 digital comics.
    you can find them here http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#media
    i bet they will be coming very soon as we near the release of legion
    Ooh, those links, they taunt me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    My big issue with Lords of War was the Kargath retcon that was immediately followed up with "these are canon in the MU as well" only to arrive on Draenor and hear "this is a different reality entirely with a slightly different past before Garrosh even came here."

Or should I say, "my big issue with all of WoD's story was the constant back-and-forth 'how many hands wrote this story without telling the other' going on."
    Kargath in the game is the lackluster, yes. I enjoyed the show and the game, though selected parts.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..