Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fasting, Weight Loss, and Gaining Tone/Muscle

So, at the beginning of 2013, I weighed around 215+ pds, had stretch marks all over the place, and yeah, was a mess. I decided to finally lose weight and go with the good old fashioned diet and exercise approach. However, It's May 2016 now, and although I am at 150-155 pds, and have decent muscle, I still have a lot of remaining flab and "stretched" skin/fat around belly and thighs, that just won't go away. No matter what I do. My regiment is more like run 5-10 minutes for a warm up for either upperbody/legs with 4 core exercises, and the 16 core exercises if I do chest. Yet, it won't get better. I understand the physics of weight loss, and realized why I started losing weight fast when I

Now, I don't really care for going the super buff muscle built thing but I do enjoy cardio and endurance training with no gym. I plan on doing this for the rest of my life and I would love to just have a toned body. Stretch scars won't mean much for me over time, and sometimes personally want to keep them as a remembrance. But the flab/stretched skin are a fucking annoyance. No idea why I still have it.

I eventually read some page on fat losses and such and somewhere these guys said try to fast and even exercise while fasting...

So, I am trying it right now. Of course, I am not entirely following the perfect religious fasting where I don't eat while the sun is up. I eat breakfest (something small, with a glass of milk), and don't eat til dinner. Usually 12 hours. If I decide to exercise, I do so 30-60 minutes after breakfest, and just drink crap water to compensate.

Asking in this thread and wondering if any of you guys can give some help. Thanks.

You should speak to a professional about loose skin. They will give you a much better solution to anything you will find online, but really the only 2 answers to loose skin are a) surgery and b) waiting for it to reduce on its own (heavily age dependent).

I can tell you for a fact that 2 small meals a day 12 hrs a part, with exercise on top, is just not at all healthy. Don't know your height but at 150 pounds I'll go out on a limb here and say you could probably afford to add some muscle to your frame. If you fill yourself out a bit that would go a long way to helping loose skin. But you won't be able to achieve this on a Ramadan diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Your skin cells need to be continuously stimulated. Water is a great way to start. Up to 100oz a day when you workout. Added to that is skin moisturizer. Nivea skin firming moisturizer throughout the day and Palmers cocoa butter before bed. Try that, it's not a promise aa we are all different, but those are common practice.

10+ Year Old Account
    What surgery are we talking?

Isn't loose skin still just mainly fat? Also, the only way to get rid of the stretch marks is flexel laser, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    What surgery are we talking?

Isn't loose skin still just mainly fat? Also, the only way to get rid of the stretch marks is flexel laser, I believe
    Skin is skin. Fat is fat. Two different issues with two different solutions.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Adams View Post
    Skin is skin. Fat is fat. Two different issues with two different solutions.
    Just to say though, I didn't say two small meals. I mean, just having same simple breakfest and a large dinner.

Fasting...such a terrible fad.

If people would just hit the gym and focus on lifting weights they would realize everything becomes easier in the world of fat loss.

I jumped from treadmill to elliptical machine and tried about every fad diet in the books for 10 years...at best I had a wimpy looking dad body and even though I shrunk pant sizes I always had nasty problem areas that ruined my whole look. One day I said fuck it and have been lifting 4 times a week for 3 years and without any cardio I have a body I enjoy looking at every morning in the mirror.
    Last edited by Rolex Snob; 2016-05-27 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex Snob View Post
    Fasting...such a terrible fad.
    What makes you say so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Can you explain why? Just wondering.

I haven't gone to the gym in almost a year, and remember, I am one of those fellers that had crap tons of weight back then. Being 154 pds now, I still know i can potentially lose weight through exercise and diet. I remember when I went to the gym, my body did look more toned out but I know it can be done in other ways.

Yeah. Can you explain why? Just wondering.

I haven't gone to the gym in almost a year, and remember, I am one of those fellers that had crap tons of weight back then. Being 154 pds now, I still know i can potentially lose weight through exercise and diet. I remember when I went to the gym, my body did look more toned out but I know it can be done in other ways.
    Fasting is very bad for you, especially when exercising. It messes your entire body up pretty severely.

Also you're asking for shortcuts. Lifting and filling that skin with lean muscle mass are the easiest ways to reduce flab. In addition to weight lifting, drinking large amounts of water is very important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Fasting is very bad for you, especially when exercising. It messes your entire body up pretty severely.

Also you're asking for shortcuts. Lifting and filling that skin with lean muscle mass are the easiest ways to reduce flab. In addition to weight lifting, drinking large amounts of water is very important.
    Fasting isn't bad for you. Nor is it bad for you when exercising.

This whole thread is just me wanting to know how weight loss and gaining or keeping toned muscle works out. Also, I am also talking about more or less Fasting / Intermittant Fasting. Where I eat breakfest then I don't eat anyhting for at least 12 hours. Sometimes shorter but only if sleep is near.

This whole thread is just me wanting to know how weight loss and gaining or keeping toned muscle works out.
    How tall are you? At 150 sounds like you don't need to lose any tbh. Doing exercise without any carbs in your system seems pointless. Why workout if you don't have the energy to do it? And I can't see how eating 2 meals 12 hours apart is better than 3-4 small meals throughout the day.

If you don't eat and don't lift, you will not get "toned muscle" you will look like an anorexic teenage girl.

You protect lean muscle mass via protein supplementation and resistance training. If you have that much loose skin, it sounds as though you were not training enough/getting enough protein in during your weight loss, even accounting for genetic factors.

Staying hydrated also helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. So this is the run down.

I am 5'8, and I was 215+ pds back then. I started going on a mass every other day exercising routine. This would include doing myself a couple sets of this and this for chest, abs, and legs, with the occasional 5-30 minute run. I had diet, and I would also eat protein.

Now, I am 150-155 pds, with more sets of whatever for that part of body, lifting unfortunately 100 pds of weights (no idea where we even had it, it was in basement), and running now 5-10 minutes cause I use it as a warm up now. Still doing diet but doing my best to get necessary amounts of protein, and i don't care much about carbs. If food tastes good, I eat it. With the weekly bad food, like chocolate.

Keep in mind, when I say sets, I don't mean lifting, I mean like sets of 30 push ups, 10 chin ups pulls ups, 30 of this thing, 30 of this, etc etc etc.

I usually do 4 sets in 1 go, for a total of 12 sets only because I hate how long this stuff takes sometimes. So for example, for abs, I do 100 russian twists, 90 sec plank, 90 sec side planks, then rest for a few minutes. Others I do, 60 reps of those leg thingies, 30 bicycles, 30 crunches, etc etc etc.

Fasting isn't bad for you. Nor is it bad for you when exercising.

This whole thread is just me wanting to know how weight loss and gaining or keeping toned muscle works out. Also, I am also talking about more or less Fasting / Intermittant Fasting. Where I eat breakfest then I don't eat anyhting for at least 12 hours. Sometimes shorter but only if sleep is near.
    Lol, yes fasting is very bad for you. Go ask a doctor, nutritionist, physiologist, etc. Don't trust www.rippedmusclebrah.com or www.lose300lbsinaweek.net
    (Don't click those, I have no idea what will be there)

Possible effects of fasting:
    Short term:
    Low BP
    Heart Arrhythmia
    Medication absorption

Long Term:
    Immunity suppression
    Liver and kidney damage
    Malnutrition leading to many other statuses

But ya know, what do I know, I just studied human biology and physiology specifically. You looked on the internet for some information, you clearly know more.

Also most of your lifting is going to build endurance rather than atrophy. For atrophy you do small reps of high weight, you're doing body weight at high reps. Add weights or a weight of some kind so that you can only do 6-10 reps at that weight.
    Last edited by Torgent; 2016-05-27 at 05:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, yes fasting is very bad for you. Go ask a doctor, nutritionist, physiologist, etc. Don't trust www.rippedmusclebrah.com or www.lose300lbsinaweek.net
    (Don't click those, I have no idea what will be there)

Possible effects of fasting:
    Short term:
    Low BP
    Heart Arrhythmia
    Medication absorption

Long Term:
    Immunity suppression
    Liver and kidney damage
    Malnutrition leading to many other statuses

But ya know, what do I know, I just studied human biology and physiology specifically. You looked on the internet for some information, you clearly know more.

Also most of your lifting is going to build endurance rather than atrophy. For atrophy you do small reps of high weight, you're doing body weight at high reps. Add weights or a weight of some kind so that you can only do 6-10 reps at that weight.
    I ain't trying to be rude bud, so I hope I am not giving that kind of impression on you. I didn't just click one site, it's the same shit with you and everyone here. "Here are the benefits while exercising on an empty stomach". "Here's why Intermittent Fasting is good and such and such". The main reason why I am even doing it is because I feel like I have an issue controlling the amount of calories I eat. Which was the whole point of Intermittent Fasting.

Most of my friends are Islamic Fasting mofos, so I could never feel like they are lying to me. Which is why I could never understand why people were against it.

Going to meet my fam doctor next thursday, so I will see.

I ain't trying to be rude bud, so I hope I am not giving that kind of impression on you. I didn't just click one site, it's the same shit with you and everyone here. "Here are the benefits while exercising on an empty stomach". "Here's why Intermittent Fasting is good and such and such". The main reason why I am even doing it is because I feel like I have an issue controlling the amount of calories I eat. Which was the whole point of Intermittent Fasting.

Most of my friends are Islamic Fasting mofos, so I could never feel like they are lying to me. Which is why I could never understand why people were against it.

It's not that your friends are lying to you. It's that they are ill informed. The weight loss from fasting is typically fluids and muscle, not fat. Typically intermittent fasting is met with quick drops and quicker increases when the fasting stops. Those sites that you look at are written by people with no qualifications. They are posting their results and ignoring the medical side of it. You can get results, but it's very unhealthy. If you feel that you're having trouble with the amount of calories, you would be better off eating small portions of food at a time, but several meals throughout the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that your friends are lying to you. It's that they are ill informed. The weight loss from fasting is typically fluids and muscle, not fat. Typically intermittent fasting is met with quick drops and quicker increases when the fasting stops. Those sites that you look at are written by people with no qualifications. They are posting their results and ignoring the medical side of it. You can get results, but it's very unhealthy. If you feel that you're having trouble with the amount of calories, you would be better off eating small portions of food at a time, but several meals throughout the day.
    When I worked out at the gym, I would occasionally use the leg machines (cause I found them to be the most fun). I was lifting up to, what i could remember, 300 pds on those leg (whatchamacallit) machines. After that, I could definitely see some well toned muscle growing there. The problem was this though, the loose skin was still there. My weight was pretty much the same at the time too (165 pds).

After I quit going to the gym, I just started focusing more on endurance training and doing more reps per set around the specific parts of the body. Ironically, I finally broke the 160 pds barrier because a) I started to fap less (lol) and b) started a new diet and/or c) just started going a bit harder on the exercising. Now I don't know which of those three, or if all of them, were reasons why I finally broke that barrier. But, I could definitely see my body becoming more toned, but still had some loose/stretched skin around. Which is why I wanted to try fasting.

Keep in mind, the type of fasting I am doing isn't really what I think you and the other posters here are assuming. It's just me eating breakfest (oatmeal, an apple, orange, glass of milk with a cup of whey protein, and a bottle of water) and then waiting 12 hours for dinner, which I go balls deep in. During exercising, which is usually 3-9 hours after breakfest, I would drink water still.

The truth is man, I also have to wonder how not eating for 12 hours is a big deal. That's why I am confused. During exercising, I noticed I would be a bit more tired, but then I would just tell myself to go at it a bit harder. I feel like it's mostly a question of resolve at this point. Every source I read that not eating for 12 hours isn't really a big deal. It's actually quite super small. I still get the protein I need, and I drink those 2L of water every day. The only issues I have encountered so far is me being a bit more dehydrated, becoming harder to get the protein in those two short eating periods (which is pretty minimal), and dealing with the ITUS after dinner.

Now, I don't know if you are right/wrong or the sites are right/wrong, but I figured it's the best way for me try this while I wait to go and see my doctor, cause hes one jacked mofo.

How much protein are you getting in your diet? If you are having issues controlling your appetite try adding more protein and fiber to your diet, also carry around a water bottle.

Part of your hunger is likely your body's leptin response, it's going to try to get you back to your former weight because it considers that to be your homeostatic weight (set point theory...especially if you lost the weight quickly).

Keep in mind, the type of fasting I am doing isn't really what I think you and the other posters here are assuming. It's just me eating breakfest (oatmeal, an apple, orange, glass of milk with a cup of whey protein, and a bottle of water) and then waiting 12 hours for dinner, which I go balls deep in. During exercising, which is usually 3-9 hours after breakfest, I would drink water still.

The truth is man, I also have to wonder how not eating for 12 hours is a big deal. That's why I am confused. During exercising, I noticed I would be a bit more tired, but then I would just tell myself to go at it a bit harder. I feel like it's mostly a question of resolve at this point. Every source I read that not eating for 12 hours isn't really a big deal. It's actually quite super small. I still get the protein I need, and I drink those 2L of water every day. The only issues I have encountered so far is me being a bit more dehydrated, becoming harder to get the protein in those two short eating periods (which is pretty minimal), and dealing with the ITUS after dinner.
    It's simple. You need food to live. Full stop. Calories do not make you fat, they enable you to exist. Breathing requires calories. Without energy (calories) your body cannot do anything. After you have slept all night, a couple of pieces of fruit in the morning is not going to get you through the day. I don't know what going "balls deep" in dinner means exactly but if you mean you're eating a big dinner you may as well have eaten 3-4 smaller meals throughout the day rather than starving yourself and over eating at dinner.

You're doing it the wrong way round anyway just FYI. It's supposed to be big breakfast, small dinner. You don't eat a big dinner when your day is over and you're off to bed. What was even the point of eating if you're not going to use those calories?

You seem to be pretty sold on this fasting thing anyway regardless of what any one has told you so go for it. I mean even after 20 posts of this thread I still don't know what your goals are exactly. What I've gathered is you want to lose "loose skin" which isn't loose skin it's fat, and you want to get "ripped" but you don't want to gain muscle and you don't want to eat anything. You're also poorly informed of how calories and fat/protein/carb work and how they impact your body. If I'm right the type of physique your after is close to a football (soccer kek) player: Slim build, low body fat, strong with ripped, visible muscle. Or, you just want 0% body fat and look like an anorexic 17 year old girl. The first one will require eating and compound lifting 3-4 times a week, the second one doing what you do now, just skip the big dinner.