Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    And we judge them by the integrity of their avatar, less about the stance they are making.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Most people aren't interested in convincing the opposition that his/her argument is valid, let alone convince the other to his/her side of the argument to begin with.

And when the person presenting an argument is summarily rejected by most, if not all, posting rebuttals...that person refuses to even consider why. (Should I name names?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    From my experience I see this:

1. If you strongly support a view and try to shout down opposing views, people attack you for silencing debate.
    2. If you say there is some wiggle room in your view, you get attacked by both sides. People who strongly support your view without wiggle room view you as a traitor, and people against your view just lump you in with the people who strongly support it.
    3. If you open with a disclaimer that everything is just your opinion and its ok to disagree, then opponents of the view will tell you that your opinion is worthless and to just shut up because not even you believe in it.

And every topic of debate seems to turn personal. No matter what side you take, eventually people against you will try to assassinate your character instead of arguing the topic. The longer you stick around an try to debate things, the faster it descends into childish name-calling.

I open up any debate thread and it seems filled with name-calling and open ridicule between posters.

So I just wonder, isn't it insanity to even participate?
    There isn't many but there are some people here who actually try to understand the other persons point of view. But it seems the most vocal people, will stand by their views no matter how much evidence is thrown there way. Those people I just tend to ignore. Sometimes people also need to understand there isn't a right or wrong answers, just different opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short Answer: Yes

Slightly Longer Answer: Yes. But it's fun as hell to see people get riled up.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I've had some pretty good discussions with people who hold entirely opposite views on here. Given, they're usually a minority, but they work out pretty well. We might not change anyone's views, but I can at least say that they more accurately understand why the opposite side holds the views that they hold.