Small RAM upgrade question

Hey guys,
    I've recently put together a new PC (with some help picking parts from this forum; http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-700ish-budget ).
    I was relatively short on cash at the time, and have in the meantime ran into some spare cash I can throw at it, so I was looking at getting a couple more RAM sticks and a HDD (which currently I'm just using an old repurposed external HDD I dont fully trust).

I currently have 8GB RAM (GeIL 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit, 2x4gb), and while I know it wont make a huge difference to go to 16gb, I'm not looking forward to replace any of the other parts I got just a couple months ago; It's more of a small future-proofing (plus I do some video editing now and again, and I also have a habit of multitasking while playing).

My question is, should I just grab another 2x4 of those I already have? Or would it be better to grab 2x4, 1866mhz or 1600mhz from another model? I know they are normally used in pairs of the same, but how does it go with 2 pairs? To clarify I'm keeping the old 4x2 1600mhz ones, just adding 2 more sticks to it (mobo has 4 slots).

Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogfx View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've recently put together a new PC (with some help picking parts from this forum; http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-700ish-budget ).
    I was relatively short on cash at the time, and have in the meantime ran into some spare cash I can throw at it, so I was looking at getting a couple more RAM sticks and a HDD (which currently I'm just using an old repurposed external HDD I dont fully trust).

I currently have 8GB RAM (GeIL 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit, 2x4gb), and while I know it wont make a huge difference to go to 16gb, I'm not looking forward to replace any of the other parts I got just a couple months ago; It's more of a small future-proofing (plus I do some video editing now and again, and I also have a habit of multitasking while playing).

My question is, should I just grab another 2x4 of those I already have? Or would it be better to grab 2x4, 1866mhz or 1600mhz from another model? I know they are normally used in pairs of the same, but how does it go with 2 pairs? To clarify I'm keeping the old 4x2 1600mhz ones, just adding 2 more sticks to it (mobo has 4 slots).

Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks in advance
    Best is to grab an identical kit of what you already have.
    DDR3's architecture gives little to no performance differences unlike Skylake with RAM speed.

So getting a higher speed RAM is irrelevant really, double it up and you're fine.

What system did you end up getting since it doesn't really clarify in your link.. like if you have spare $$$ you could get an SSD f.ex.

Alright, I'll do that - it was my first instinct, but thought safer to ask first. I know a bit of general stuff in terms of hardware but not much indepth details like this.

The final build was basically:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€185.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€77.11 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (€198.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)

plus the RAM I mentioned above (gf had a spare set of those lying around), a samsung 850 SSD (got one cheaper than the listed one), and a sharkoon case I liked the looks of. Had no HDD at the start, then put gutted an old 500GB external drive to use that as internal, and will prolly be replacing that now for a 1 or 2 tb HDD.
    But yeah, I did get an SSD in the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogfx View Post
    Alright, I'll do that - it was my first instinct, but thought safer to ask first. I know a bit of general stuff in terms of hardware but not much indepth details like this.

The final build was basically:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€185.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€77.11 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (€198.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.89 @ Home of Hardware DE)

plus the RAM I mentioned above (gf had a spare set of those lying around), a samsung 850 SSD (got one cheaper than the listed one), and a sharkoon case I liked the looks of. Had no HDD at the start, then put gutted an old 500GB external drive to use that as internal, and will prolly be replacing that now for a 1 or 2 tb HDD.
    But yeah, I did get an SSD in the end.
    Then you're fine if you want that RAM.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Should get here tomorrow, good timing for a good old clean-up inside before summer