10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm getting real tired of being forced to join in progress matches after leavers have departed. It's just not fun, especially when there's thirty seconds left and the enemy team are almost assured a victory.
    It's juicy tho when you join at last 30 seconds and then manage to prevent enemy from grabbing victory.

Do you guys think the CP awarded for each rank is fine? If you're plat you need 4 seasons(3 if you play enough games to get 200 extra each season) for one golden weapon, when there are 25 heroes and even more steadily rolling in.
    A bronzie would need to play for an eternity of seasons to get a golden skin :P

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    Do you guys think the CP awarded for each rank is fine? If you're plat you need 4 seasons(3 if you play enough games to get 200 extra each season) for one golden weapon, when there are 25 heroes and even more steadily rolling in.
    A bronzie would need to play for an eternity of seasons to get a golden skin :P
    Yeah, I think it's pretty stupid. I might hit gold this season, and even if I keep getting gold (which tbh is prolly about where I am, skill wise) it'd take me 8 seasons to get 1 gold weapon. That's 3+ years. I don't have an entitlement complex or anything, but that seems really excessive.

What is the most SR you guys have gotten for a match?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So how does the placement system work exactly, because I've been placed waaay below what I was last season.
    From my guess, your initial comp rating is based on your quick MMR + those 10 placement matches. Your quick play rating is going to continue to change independent of whatever you do in comp until the next season start and you get your new comp rating based off your quickplay MMR.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Damn, rather salty then, since im like 800 below where I finished. It honestly feels like the losses from placements were subtracted from my previous rank.

Yeah Im considering the same, get a gold weapon and then stop caring about rank, just play for the enjoyment of teams that actually communicate.
    It's supposed to be personal performance with win/losses taken into account but not the deciding factor. It's possible you didn't play as well during placements as you may have been doing last season? Most people I've played with placed between 2-300 below where they ended last season. 800 is kinda drastic though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    What is the most SR you guys have gotten for a match?
    My friend got 100 for 1 match after a 7 game win streak. Don't ask how low his ranking was.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    5 victories, 4 losses, 1 draw, 3367 Diamond placement, not bad. Lost two games due to poor teamwork (people blaming each other) and the draw was for the same reason, hopefully now that I'm out of the placement matches there will be less of that...

Was 3520 master last season (stopped there as Master was my goal, we'll see how far I can push this time).

Edit:

Huh... Lost one game, german map, we were completely dominated unable to take the first point (let alone get past the first choke even once, their Symmetra had a shield up before 30 seconds had passed, not joking), we couldn't hold anything. Lost about 15 points.

Next game; route 66: We get the first 3 points with little difficulty and manage to hold half way past the first point, I went up like 50 points to 3399. Interesting...

Won Hanamura, gaining 45 points, ending up at 3444. I don't recall gaining this much points in the past, is the game trying to place me back at 3520?
    Last edited by mmocf8e5b938a8; 2017-03-10 at 12:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    I don't recall gaining this much points in the past, is the game trying to place me back at 3520?
    Pretty much, yes. That's how it worked last season too. For a few games after the placements you will receive a ton of points for your wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ the clusterfuck of suck I have gotten with tonight. Not just losing, but losing BADLY.
    The intelligence of some of these teammates of mine with their picks is just baffling.

Was at 25, now dropped straight to 23.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2017-03-10 at 05:53 AM.

Just had a placement match where the enemy team were seconds away from victory only for me to swoop in at the last possible moment and resurrect five of my teammates. The sooner they add the proposed 'record highlights' feature, the better. I'd love to upload plays like that but I'm too lazy/cautious to download third party software to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Has there ever been any information about how and why you gain and lose points? I feel like this season is strange. Last night went 3-0. Did not even get a 75 points. was playing Zen on all three, had like 50% plus defensive assist and gold healing one time over a lucio I think. On Tuesday I was 2-4, lost over a 100 points.
    It's supposed to be based on your personal performance, with "on fire" status being a good rule of thumb.

If you're underperforming with that hero for that map/side relative to other players at your rank, you'll lose more than you'd gain. And vice versa if you perform better.

I got placed stupidly low in Silver this season, lower than I had EVER been ranked, and since placement, I've been gaining 35-40 rank per win, and losing about 15-20 per loss. I lost my first two matches after placements, then won one, and set a new season high (meaning my points from one win were more than the combined points from two losses).

I'm back in Gold now, and climbing fast, I'm just not playing Overwatch every day, necessarily. Mostly 3-4 times a week. I don't play enough to really get reliable data, but based on my total history, I should probably balance out somewhere between 2400 and 2600. I don't claim to be pro, but placements this season sure seemed to be a little borked for some of us.

atm I'm winning ~30 points and losing ~20
    and I think it depens on how long you're bruning. the longer you burn the more points you win and the less you lose

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    placements this season sure seemed to be a little borked for some of us.
    yeah I'm one of those too. got placed ~300 points lower than I ended last season

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    yeah I'm one of those too. got placed ~300 points lower than I ended last season
    Yeah, I dipped into Silver due to a terrible run of luck that caused a bad losing streak, but I only dipped down to about 1960 before I climbed back over 2200 before end-of-season, last season.

This season, I placed at 1850 or something. No big deal, I guess, since I've pushed my way back into Gold already, but still irksome.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's supposed to be based on your personal performance, with "on fire" status being a good rule of thumb.

If you're underperforming with that hero for that map/side relative to other players at your rank, you'll lose more than you'd gain. And vice versa if you perform better.
    Do you have any proof of this besides Blizz just saying some personal performance goes into your rating changes? For all we know, that could simply just be taking medals into account.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2017-03-10 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Do you have any proof of this besides Blizz just saying some personal performance goes into your rating changes? For all we know, that could simply just be taking metals into account.
    It's really not medals. It's fire points. They are pretty clear in the UI as to when and why you get them.

The only DVa buff she really needs:

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any proof of this besides Blizz just saying some personal performance goes into your rating changes? For all we know, that could simply just be taking medals into account.
    Proof of how the system works, other than Blizzard saying how the system works?

C'mon man.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Fortunately, when we do put you in a match that we know isn't a 50/50, we adjust your SR gain or loss based on your calculated change of winning. So if you did get placed into a match with only a 20% chance to win and then you lose, you shouldn't lose much SR.

For matchmaking groups, there's actually two separate issues that we try to solve. The first issue is "How do we handle groups formed of players with different MMRs?". With season 2 we prevented players of REALLY disparate Skill Rating from grouping, but there's still some variance we need to handle. Over time we've tested different models to try and see what's best and are now using what tested most accurately. (Hint: it's not simply averaging the MMRs)

The other issue is how do we model the synergistic effects of players being together in a group. As you noted, they have access to voice chat. Now here's where things get interesting. This "massive" advantage actually differs based upon the skill rating of the group members. Based upon the data we've seen groups of low to mid SR players don't see that much improvement to their win %. Higher SR players do see more notable improvements, but it's not as huge as you might think. Still, we do take this into account when we predict the win% for each team. Regardless of how the data looks, we do know there's a perception of a large advantage for groups. That's one of the reasons why we explicitly try to match similar sized groups together.

So then why do points for losses and wins seem so random? Well, the amount of MMR (and SR) you go up or down isn't simply a matter of whether you won or lost, and what was your predicted chance of winning. There's a couple of other things at work. One is the matchmaker's confidence in what your MMR should be. Play a lot of games, it gets more certain. Don't play Overwatch for a while, it gets less certain. You go on a large win or loss streak, it gets less certain. The more certain the matchmaker is about your MMR, the less your MMR will change in either direction based on a win or loss.

As a minor factor, we also do evaluate how well you played the heroes you used in a match. The comparison is largely based on historical data of people playing a specific hero (not medals, not pure damage done), and we've done a lot of work to this system based on the community's feedback. In fact, I've seen some people indicate that they don't think we're doing this anymore. We still are. While it's a minor factor compared to wins/losses (The best way to increase your SR is still to play together and win as a team!), doing so does help us determine your skill more accurately and faster.

So take all that into account, the SR gain/loss after any single match can be a bit more "noisy" that it seems it should, but we're asking it to look at a lot of different factors to do the best job it can creating fair matches for you.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...9737390#post-3

Seems like a good amount of work trying to place players into the rank they belong. So now I'm wondering why they render it all moot by placing you in matches you only have a 20% chance of winning. One sided stomp games are bad enough, it would be worse knowing the Blizzard is making them intentionally.

Seems like a big large issue where the match making decides that ANY match is better than letting player wait longer in the queue, so it pairs teams against people vastly above or below their skill level. We've seen this exploited recently where some team ranked in the 4000s queue up in the late hours of the night and get consistently matched up against 2000 rated players. Honestly, I would take a longer wait times over unbalanced games any day of the week.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Jesus Christ the clusterfuck of suck I have gotten with tonight. Not just losing, but losing BADLY.
    The intelligence of some of these teammates of mine with their picks is just baffling.

Was at 25, now dropped straight to 23.
    I think Thursday should be a boycott comp night!

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a good amount of work trying to place players into the rank they belong. So now I'm wondering why they render it all moot by placing you in matches you only have a 20% chance of winning. One sided stomp games are bad enough, it would be worse knowing the Blizzard is making them intentionally.

Seems like a big large issue where the match making decides that ANY match is better than letting player wait longer in the queue, so it pairs teams against people vastly above or below their skill level. We've seen this exploited recently where some team ranked in the 4000s queue up in the late hours of the night and get consistently matched up against 2000 rated players. Honestly, I would take a longer wait times over unbalanced games any day of the week.
    Because if queues were 10-15 minutes people would probably stop playing. So they try to speed up queues by giving you a handicap/bonus. You always have the chance to play god like or gutter ball for a match as well. The matchmaker can't predict how consistent you will be.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account

On the one hand it's queue times, on the other it gives you a chance to prove yourself against a much better set of opponents - if you actually go on to win those, you gain a shit ton of SR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I think Thursday should be a boycott comp night!
    Thursdays are usually okay in EU, it's Wednesdays and Saturdays you need to avoid here; Thursdays are usually Shadowrun nights for me though, so miss a few. D6s were on fire last night. Sundays can be hit and miss.

So getting 30 kills with junkrat the other day was fun
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor