Had a miserable placement, the last 4 games had double sniper on at least one team, usually mine. Yeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

lost 2 of 8 placement games so far.

1st loss was due to nobody killing enemy's main tank - zarya and the rest of their dps are on high ground. I was rein, main pusher of the payload.

2nd loss I had high ping. played zarya/rein/mercy. I should not have played comp immediately. there was a trio on our team who all picked dps. they we're less than level 50 on average.

I feel like if competitive games rewarded less experience than quickplay, a lot of the shit players will stay out of competitive. If someone queues up for a competitive game, they have zero obligation to play well with the team and contribute to a good composition since win or lose they are still getting more experience than a quickplay game. SO many times I've tried to offer advice on how someone can improve and play better, or help the team and they just leave chat and continue playing like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    I feel like if competitive games rewarded less experience than quickplay, a lot of the shit players will stay out of competitive. If someone queues up for a competitive game, they have zero obligation to play well with the team and contribute to a good composition since win or lose they are still getting more experience than a quickplay game. SO many times I've tried to offer advice on how someone can improve and play better, or help the team and they just leave chat and continue playing like shit.
    I lowkey wished every single reward from competitive would go, even golden weapons, make it all available through other means including quick play.

Putting rewards in just attracts people who don't actually care about the competitive aspect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    I lowkey wished every single reward from competitive would go, even golden weapons, make it all available through other means including quick play.

Putting rewards in just attracts people who don't actually care about the competitive aspect at all.
    I don't mind gold weapons much, since the points you get towards them depend on if you win or lose. Giving players an incentive to play well. But the difference between winning and losing a match in regards to exp is only 500exp (except for the first win of the day).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    The difference is those people usually can play multiple different DPS characters, while Mercy mains way too often can only play that one single character, Mercy. Also, you can actually have 3 or some times even 4 DPS in the team and still make it work somehow. Wanna try with 4 supports?

Mercy mains are nearly the only "one trick" supports I've seen this season. Ana mains are more or less non existent ever since the damage nerf. There's your occasional Lucio main, but those happen like once every 10 games. There is a Mercy main in almost EVERY game. Hey, it's cool as long as it's just one. I like a good Mercy in the team, can be game changer. But like I mentioned earlier, having 2-3 of them usually just means you're fucked, because Mercy mains are often more or less "one trick" sort of players playing only Mercy.

P.S This is on high diamond / low master, could be different on other skill levels.
    But it doesn't really matter that much if they can play other dps characters, if they can't play another role. Normally you only want 2-3 dps, and the number of people who wish to play dps far outnumber the amount of people who wish to play Mercy. I only play Mercy, 100 % of the time throughout all seasons, I have 168 hours played in competitive and I can't even recall the last time I ended up with someone else who wanted to play Mercy. I do however encounter people who wish to play dps and don't want to play tank/healer at least once every 10 games.

I'd also say that Mercy is the most versatile of all heroes, she can fit into any team composition and works well on any map. You don't have to have a Pharah to make Mercy useful, although I must admit that a good Pharah is wonderful to play with, I played with one just now on Eichenwalde and dominated our opponents. I'm at 3896 right now and I've had a mixed responses since the season began, some people seem a bit more accepting towards having a Mercy (many complain about not having a Lucio/Ana), whilst I've also encountered a couple of really toxic people who complained about the increase in Mercy picks.

I tend to find that these people who complain about having a Mercy on the team don't realize how to even play with her, they often die out of sight and far away from the point, making it impossible to fly to their location or ress them with the others. Those who praise me for playing really well on the other hand, communicate, position themselves in such a way that they can be both healed and resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjavitis View Post
    I don't mind gold weapons much, since the points you get towards them depend on if you win or lose. Giving players an incentive to play well. But the difference between winning and losing a match in regards to exp is only 500exp (except for the first win of the day).
    This is my thoughts as well. We already have Quick Play showing us the kind of hell that is created when there's no real incentive to win -Hanzo, Genji, and Widow on every team, with no tanks or healers if you don't play one yourself. Having a real, tangible reward keeps people taking the game seriously and playing to win.

Without golden weapons there is just SR. And unless you're good enough to qualify for top 500, SR is just an arbitrary number that has no real value except for what you personally place in it.

Well, it finally happened. I came across people intentionally throwing a game. 4th placement match, group of 3 people instalocked Mercy, Lucio, and Ana. Most healing on our team came from Roadhog.
    Maybe they weren't throwing and all 3 are only comfortable on healers and maybe, MAYBE they thought the others would heal while they did damage, but I just can't believe this was what was going on.
    I was also coming back after a 3 month break, but that 1 game just made me not want to play again.

Mercy doesn't really require aiming, and you only require a vague sense of awareness to get out of most bad situations with GA.

People turn their nose up at One Trick Mercies because they are relying on a low-effort high-impact Hero to carry them through the ranks, and the moment two of them get on the same team you'll have a bad time once one of the OTP's suddenly has to aim or do any sort of mechanical skill.

You can argue it's the same with DPS, maybe true, but at least when they are forced to switch off they can carry some of their skills to a different hero.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently, leaving an Arcade Mode game penalizes you.

The fuck? Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    So apparently, leaving an Arcade Mode game penalizes you.

The fuck? Why?
    Suuuper weird. I've never been penalised and I do leave periodically when I forget to dequeue myself before the stats screen ends. Do you leave a lot, maybe you hit some kind of threshold where it starts?

But yeah that's weird either way. People jump in and out on QP and Arcade all the time. Which is fine usually cos the game will just fill that spot. Leavers only really matter on comp.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Sounds like the game doesn't agree with you.
    Or it's what literally every person in the thread has been talking about for pages, that this season is placing you lower than you normally would because it feels better to climb to the rating you should at be at than to place high and fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should add an incentive to win in QM to help save it from the hell it's in. Either earn gold, points for gold weapons (at a lower rate than comp), or....something.

Anywho, despite some bizarre comp games tonight where I thought I clicked QM by mistake (5 dps and me healing), I hit an all-time high on SR so things are going fine overall.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Probably had the worse time ever on Console today playing tank/heals....None of the dps could kill anything, ended up having to play more aggressively than I wanted to with Reinhardt with his buggy skills at the moment but damn gotta get kills somehow. Ask a soldier to kill a pharah and its like I asked him to go kill his/her family member. Then had a McCree ask to go switch to a D.Va when the enemy team had a roadhog and a Zarya tanking.....wtf is with people here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    I think they should add an incentive to win in QM to help save it from the hell it's in. Either earn gold, points for gold weapons (at a lower rate than comp), or....something.

Anywho, despite some bizarre comp games tonight where I thought I clicked QM by mistake (5 dps and me healing), I hit an all-time high on SR so things are going fine overall.
    QM is fun mode and practice mode, You are not suppose to get Ranked rewards just for showing up. You get to practice in an environment where people are not suppose to take it so seriously. If you want gold weapons you are going to have to put more effort into the competitive end of things.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Or it's what literally every person in the thread has been talking about for pages, that this season is placing you lower than you normally would because it feels better to climb to the rating you should at be at than to place high and fall.
    The "norm" is 200ish lower, not 400-500. So when someone claims he's a "3100-3200 player" and gets 2700 in placements, there probably is something wrong in that claim. Or MM system is just being a dick.

Who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    QM is fun mode and practice mode, You are not suppose to get Ranked rewards just for showing up. You get to practice in an environment where people are not suppose to take it so seriously. If you want gold weapons you are going to have to put more effort into the competitive end of things.
    I'm kinda sick of people calling it "practice mode" to be honest. For a lot of people it's the main mode they play, it's probably actually the main mode in the game. Besides, practicing might temper loses but you should still be seeking to win for that practice to actually be effective.

It's also not exactly "fun mode" either when people do treat it with such contempt as to just purely fuck about in there; because it's normally only one or two players on one side that are while the other team are trying to win.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-06-07 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm kinda sick of people calling it "practice mode" to be honest. For a lot of people it's the main mode they play, it's probably actually the main mode in the game. Besides, practicing might temper loses but you should still be seeking to win for that practice to actually be effective.

It's also not exactly "fun mode" either when people do treat it with such contempt as to just purely fuck about in there; because it's normally only one or two players on one side that are while the other team are trying to win.
    I'd say it was 'practice mode' up until they revamped the custom game system. Now, if someone really wants to play around and not fight to win then they can go and join any of the myriad games in the custom game lobby designed for that purpose. Or create their own.

I don't bother with competitive beyond the initial placement matches. I don't find it enjoyable at all - and Overwatch isn't the sort of game I want sucking up a lot of my gaming time anyway. I have FFXIV for that.

Deleted
    I got to 3150 last season, ended up at 2850, placed at 2940 (5 wins 5 losses) back up to 3050 now. Seems to be working ok.

Quote Originally Posted by i fail at th1s View Post
    Probably had the worse time ever on Console today playing tank/heals....None of the dps could kill anything, ended up having to play more aggressively than I wanted to with Reinhardt with his buggy skills at the moment but damn gotta get kills somehow. Ask a soldier to kill a pharah and its like I asked him to go kill his/her family member. Then had a McCree ask to go switch to a D.Va when the enemy team had a roadhog and a Zarya tanking.....wtf is with people here lately.
    It's terrible. I was in a game where, and I'm not kidding, had 3 DPS, Hanzo and Junkrat. This was on Eichenwilde (defence to start) WTF do I do? Go healer and have no tank? Go tank and have no healer? This was on Eichenwilde (defence to start). No one wanted to play healer despite me spamming for heals (this was on console, so no chat, and no one on voice comms)

I think I play pretty F-ing well, and just hold them off completing it. Right i thought I'll lock in a healer and let others play Tank, so go for Ana. We , just managing to unlock the playload with someone on Zarya. When I check the loadout again, guess what, they went back to DPS. We don't make it into the castle.

FFS....does no one know how to play this game.