Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Are you sure you haven't capped out white items or something?
    Absolutely 100% sure. WOULD YOU LIKE SCREENSHOTS.

I am not capped on any rarity items, even looking at regular and Summer Games items separate and excluding unobtainable past event items. On Doomfist I only had 10 things, for example. Since I started getting dupes, I have been getting them across all rarity types (in fact the first three I got were two legendaries and an epic). Now I'm getting them mostly on blue items, probably because I have more things on that rarity already than any other and there's probably very few left to get (looks like I have like two nonevent player icons and then a handful of victory poses left). But even on those, I will get a duplicate of a blue in one box, and then next box will have a nondupe blue. Or I will roll two blues and one will be a dupe and the other will not be. And in the pack of 24 I bought last night to test, I also got another epic and legendary dupes, and I definitely don't have all of those; almost every single Hero has legendaries I don't have and I only have a few of the summar games ones. The only thing I don't think I've never seen dupe is white just because I think that covers all sprays, emotes and voice lines so has the largest volume of stuff to obtain.

Although by the time I finished the second set of boxes, I did cap on Summer Games epics if the system really is splitting them out (and that is just an assumption on my part). The only thing that would make sense is if it specifically rolled type like event > blue > player icon = dupe cos I have all event player icons or nonevent > legendary > Lucio = dupe cos I have all Lucio's legendaries. But I don't think it's rolling down to a hero-specific level or I'd probably be getting a lot more duplicates than just one a box.

Again, this is not a complaint, this I am just dispelling the confusion that it is literally impossible to get dupes unless you already have everything available of that rarity type.

Nice! I've never been that lucky.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Absolutely 100% sure. WOULD YOU LIKE SCREENSHOTS.
    Just trying to figure out why the heck you'd be getting consistent dupes, and I wouldn't be.

Before the lootbox change, I was getting 3-4 dupes a box. Ever since, zero. And that's well over 50 lootboxes by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Thanks

But I have horrible social anxiety it's not so much it's GOT to be played with friends but I would RATHER play with friends. First time I played comp I got so much aggro, I mean I was like well I aint coming here again (this was season 1) lol.

I am not so much about 'seriousness' but more willing to actually play. It's very weird to describe :P
    Honestly, you're probably better off. Like 80% of this thread has been people bitching about how they solo queue into Competitive and their teammates don't listen to them, don't play how they want, don't play the characters they think they should, aren't good enough for them, or whatever.

Might as well just save yourself the headache and get friends together instead.

Just trying to figure out why the heck you'd be getting consistent dupes, and I wouldn't be.

Before the lootbox change, I was getting 3-4 dupes a box. Ever since, zero. And that's well over 50 lootboxes by now.
    I probably am dumb and have bought more boxes than you overall. But yes, before the patch I was getting 3-4 dupes every box. I actually took a screenshot of a box where I only had two dupes like a month ago since it had been 6+ months since I had seen that happen.

Initially after the patch, zero dupes in any boxes, faithfully doing my 9 arcades wins plus whatever I got leveling.

Then I bought two 24 packs this holiday. The first one, I got three dupes total (leg and epic). They were the first dupes I'd seen at all since the patch. Then I got a few boxes leveling and one or two of them each had a dupe, so out of curiosity I bought a second set to see if that kept up. The second set I got one dupe in almost every box (mostly blues but a couple other qualities). Obviously sometimes between those two sets I hit some kind of threshold.

(Unfortunately the more I buy, the more likely it is I'm going to finish something and then won't be able to really "test" anymore to look for patterns)

If I had to guess, it would probably be something like it starts happening once you have like X% of something and odds get higher for dupes the fewer things remaining. Maybe they figured totally removing the RNG so you just nicely fill in absolutely everything would make it too easy to collect every last thing (especially shit like player icons that you can't buy) and people would stop buying boxes, so they left in some small aspect of chase at the end to finish off the last few things. Of course at this point I have enough gold to buy any of those but the player icons though so not even sure that's legit logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Getting more and more convinced they need to do something about pharah. There's no real counter to her as she kills all the ones that supposedly counters her in 2 hits, only chance you have is if you are a highly skilled widowmaker who can headshot her every hit or aimbot to hit her head every time.
    On the PTR they are saying new Junkrat is her counter, you det pack up towards her and hurl your second det pack at her. If you put one down and wait for the cooldown you can boost up and chuck 2 at her.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-08-11 at 09:15 PM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

6 Wins for 1 tonight ^^

Was only going to play a couple of matches, but I just kept winning. Last game was a let down, I'd broken back over 2300 and that put me just under again.

Clearly a message to stop, take a bunch of pills and go sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    On the PTR they are saying new Junkrat is her counter, you det pack up towards her and hurl your second det pack at her. If you put one down and wait for the cooldown you can boost up and chuck 2 at her.
    I don't think anyone is saying that Junk is her counter since it is still pretty hard to actually kill her that way. It's mainly that Junkrat is not a complete sitting duck against a Pharah now and finally has some sort of teeth against her.

On live, it's rarely worth playing him if the other team has a Pharah unless you're fighting in a tight space. This will make him still a viable pick since he can realistically be a danger to her now, even though he's still not the ideal option for addressing her.

But maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying that Junk is her counter since it is still pretty hard to actually kill her that way. It's mainly that Junkrat is not a complete sitting duck against a Pharah now and finally has some sort of teeth against her.

On live, it's rarely worth playing him if the other team has a Pharah unless you're fighting in a tight space. This will make him still a viable pick since he can realistically be a danger to her now, even though he's still not the ideal option for addressing her.

But maybe I'm wrong.
    With 20% faster travel time on her cannon I think Orisa will be a great counter.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    6 Wins for 1 tonight ^^

Was only going to play a couple of matches, but I just kept winning. Last game was a let down, I'd broken back over 2300 and that put me just under again.

Clearly a message to stop, take a bunch of pills and go sleep.
    Wish I had that going for me lately. I'm on a losing streak for 9 of 10 games. Damage dealers that can't kill anything, Lucio's staying in speedboat boost the whole time, Mercy players trying to get PotG's by holding off for a 5 Rez when there's 3 sitting dead on the cap and refusing to Rez to contest the point. Had 1 game with a Mercy who just pocketed Rein, and when she wasn't by healing him she would damge boost him with his shield up while teammates were clustered around her asking for heals in game and voice.
    People picking Junkrat (guess the PTR is hyping him up) and DF and refusing to switch when the enemy team has a Pharah or 76. If 1 of the support or tanks swaps, then the people playing Junk or DF complain that we lost because we didn't have 2 of them.
    Had a game earlier today where o was asked if I could solo heal. Told the team sure, if they think it will work and watch for them diving me. Entire 1st 2 rounds my team kept running off point on KotH and flanking 2 different sides while I stayed on point with the tank and then listened as people complained they didn't get healed when they kept getting killed at the flanks.
    1 game I was frustrated and picked DF on the 1st round of Oasis just to have a team member tell me if I'm going to throw the game then they are going to play Torb so they could "practice." Game literally hadn't started yet and someone pulls that.
    Another game we're solo healing and I went Tracer, ended the 1st round with gold elims and damage. DAMAGE as Tracer. Got told me playing Tracer was the problem, so I swap to Lucio, just to have the 2 tanks in the group never make a move to the point.
    These are the games I've been getting placed in. I freely admit in some games I get outplayed or have a bad game, but I've even had wins when I've played bad. Lately it's just loss after loss after loss.

- - - Updated - - -

With 20% faster travel time on her cannon I think Orisa will be a great counter.
    I don't think she's going to be a great counter, but I do think it will help with Pharah players and not make the team rely solely on 76 or McCree. Will be nice having a tank that can hit her as well, but it will still require some leading the target and learning to predict her movements a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

But maybe I'm wrong.
    I agree. Good Rat players will be able to mess with Pharah a lot now. The tire thing seems to be a bit much now. Good idea, but holy shit are people going to do some crazy things with that thing now. Can't wait to see the kill vids where people roof hop the tire across the map and across pits just to blast groups in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Wish I had that going for me lately. I'm on a losing streak for 9 of 10 games. Damage dealers that can't kill anything, Lucio's staying in speedboat boost the whole time, Mercy players trying to get PotG's by holding off for a 5 Rez when there's 3 sitting dead on the cap and refusing to Rez to contest the point. Had 1 game with a Mercy who just pocketed Rein, and when she wasn't by healing him she would damge boost him with his shield up while teammates were clustered around her asking for heals in game and voice.
    People picking Junkrat (guess the PTR is hyping him up) and DF and refusing to switch when the enemy team has a Pharah or 76. If 1 of the support or tanks swaps, then the people playing Junk or DF complain that we lost because we didn't have 2 of them.
    Had a game earlier today where o was asked if I could solo heal. Told the team sure, if they think it will work and watch for them diving me. Entire 1st 2 rounds my team kept running off point on KotH and flanking 2 different sides while I stayed on point with the tank and then listened as people complained they didn't get healed when they kept getting killed at the flanks.
    1 game I was frustrated and picked DF on the 1st round of Oasis just to have a team member tell me if I'm going to throw the game then they are going to play Torb so they could "practice." Game literally hadn't started yet and someone pulls that.
    Another game we're solo healing and I went Tracer, ended the 1st round with gold elims and damage. DAMAGE as Tracer. Got told me playing Tracer was the problem, so I swap to Lucio, just to have the 2 tanks in the group never make a move to the point.
    These are the games I've been getting placed in. I freely admit in some games I get outplayed or have a bad game, but I've even had wins when I've played bad. Lately it's just loss after loss after loss.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think she's going to be a great counter, but I do think it will help with Pharah players and not make the team rely solely on 76 or McCree. Will be nice having a tank that can hit her as well, but it will still require some leading the target and learning to predict her movements a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Good Rat players will be able to mess with Pharah a lot now. The tire thing seems to be a bit much now. Good idea, but holy shit are people going to do some crazy things with that thing now. Can't wait to see the kill vids where people roof hop the tire across the map and across pits just to blast groups in the face.
    Nobody should be relying solely on mccree or soldier because if the enemy team kills them then pharah gets to run amok on your entire team while they hoof it back, and if they get killed again before they get back....

Once you can lead with Orisa she can already do a job, I've shot down loads of Pharahs and forces switched with her. She's especially good to complement McCree or 76. This buff will definitely help though, on top of the larger shield too, she should be a go to for it.

@Eapoe it's about damn time. I had two of those long loss streaks that dumped me from 2460 to 1850 in the end. This is barely statistical justice for me.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-08-12 at 07:25 AM.

I really don't understand how this mmr system is supposed to work. What is it actually measuring? I've met players who are better when I was gold than some of those that I've played with at diamond...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

I really don't understand how this mmr system is supposed to work. What is it actually measuring? I've met players who are better when I was gold than some of those that I've played with at diamond...
    Considering that the MMR system seems to keep trying to be this inane "performance measuring" system (that they won't explain) instead of simply looking at wins/losses, who the hell knows what it's measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Once you can lead with Orisa she can already do a job, I've shot down loads of Pharahs and forces switched with her. She's especially good to complement McCree or 76. This buff will definitely help though, on top of the larger shield too, she should be a go to for it.

@Eapoe it's about damn time. I had two of those long loss streaks that dumped me from 2460 to 1850 in the end. This is barely statistical justice for me.
    Yeah, this is my 2nd losing streak this season. Almost down to 2000 from 2500. Only reason I'm not lower probably has to do with the fact I'm getting so frustrated I walk away from the game a lot more than I have over the last month.
    I really am beginning to think there's a matchmaking system in place where after you win for a while (on a good streak) the system starts putting you with people that have been on losing streaks themselves, maybe in some weird attempt to equal things out or test your earn rating or maybe to help out the others that have been losing. The reverse also seems to hold true, where it puts you up against others that have been on winning streaks or a slightly higher win:loss ratio.
    Can't explain it, but it definitely seems to fit the way the game works where I drop 400-600 mmr at a time, getting grouped with people that refuse to swap when getting countered or act like newer players (can't play multiple characters, no aim, suicide charging with Rein, etc). Then after I drop significantly I end up playing with people that you wonder why they aren't Plat or diamond, play well together, and can almost blatantly spawn camp the opposite team.

- - - Updated - - -

Parts of it have to do with win:loss ratio, how you play in the game, how you compare to other people that play the character you are playing in a given rank. At least that's what has been speculated on. Then there's also when the broken aspects happen, as with Mercy at the start of the season, where Mercy would gain more than other characters on a win while losing less on losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Parts of it have to do with win:loss ratio, how you play in the game, how you compare to other people that play the character you are playing in a given rank. At least that's what has been speculated on. Then there's also when the broken aspects happen, as with Mercy at the start of the season, where Mercy would gain more than other characters on a win while losing less on losses.
    If that speculation is right, it would make sense why Mercy would have issues, since she's one of the most picked heroes.

I'm probably gonna end up far lower than in the past though, 7 placements done and only won once. I know W:L isn't the most important, but when most ended up as stomps because my girlfriend and I got stuck with a 3 stack twice who would have a pocket Mercy who wouldn't heal us or rez anyone but their friends, it's not like I had much chance to do well despite losing.

Wish they would change when you get the leave penalty. Sucks having to wait until just before the screen completely fades. I get it, my team lost, I don't need to witness the enemy team's victory poses. Would just be nice to be able to leave as soon as the "Victory/Draw/Defeat" announcement pulls up. I play support most games, so unless I'm absolutely sure I have a chance at PotG from a 2-4 boop kill with Lucio, I just want to get out and start the next game.

The mmr system measures your ability on that character against other people on the same character. If you do amazing on say Reaper the game judges you to be a really amazing player and will give you more Ranking points to push you where you will fight people of the same skill level. If you lose you will lose less points. If you are absolute trash on a character it will say you don't belong in that rank and take away a lot more rank points to put you where you belong.

So if you are really good at Reaper you will climb the ranks quickly but lets say you get into a game and someone else picks reaper first and all that is left is the healer position and you choose Mercy which you are not experienced at then when you lose, because you don't play mercy as well as Reaper, then you lose a lot of rank points because the game says, "Hey, you suck at Mercy and you don't belong in this rank..."

Which totally flies in the face of the concept of the game which is rock paper scissor countering. You are expected to switch to counter but you are punished for doing so.

The mmr system measures your ability on that character against other people on the same character. If you do amazing on say Reaper the game judges you to be a really amazing player and will give you more Ranking points to push you where you will fight people of the same skill level. If you lose you will lose less points. If you are absolute trash on a character it will say you don't belong in that rank and take away a lot more rank points to put you where you belong.

So if you are really good at Reaper you will climb the ranks quickly but lets say you get into a game and someone else picks reaper first and all that is left is the healer position and you choose Mercy which you are not experienced at then when you lose, because you don't play mercy as well as Reaper, then you lose a lot of rank points because the game says, "Hey, you suck at Mercy and you don't belong in this rank..."

Which totally flies in the face of the concept of the game which is rock paper scissor countering. You are expected to switch to counter but you are punished for doing so.
    It's a good explanation, but I don't think it's completely accurate. For instance, I could play Mercy and get 10,000 healing on a win with 3 kills and 1 death and on a win I might gain 15 where on a loss I lose 20-25. Same game later and I might gain 25-40 or lose only 12.
    I've played Support too many games and seen the gain:loss difference swing drastically from game to game. Hell, I had 1 KotH match where we dominated the enemy team and I played Mercy and came out with 3-4K healing and gain 45 SR. The pendulum swings just as wide for tanks and damage as well.
    There's too many factors to judge based on just how you play against others who pick the same character. There has to be factors based on length of the match, healing overall, damage absorbed/prevented overall vs damage/kills done, environmental kills, etc.
    I will say I believe you are partly correct and what you stated is a big factor overall, but I also believe there is a lot more to it than just you vs other players on the same character in the same MMR. Possible factors are how you play against certain teams, such as if they have a Pharah and you are on Lucio and get a kill, you get more kill points based on that versus play, where if she kills you then you receive less penalty, as the odds are stacked against Lucio in that fight. Where as playing 76, someone who's perceived to be a counter, gets a kill on Pharah and gets some kind of kill point awarded during the match, but if he gets a kill on Rein he would gain a few more kill points during that match.
    Of course, this is all speculation and we could theorize all day and night, but Blizz is being hush about it (maybe in some attempt to keep people from gaming the system), and there is definitely more to it.

I think the system is fairly straightforward for DPS heroes. I totally agree it seems to fall over for Tanks and Support where you're in positions to 'do what's necessary', which might not do anything good for your stats by which you're judged. What sticks in mind was a match as Reinhardt last season, and why I won't play him anymore, was a win during a time I was gaining 25-30sr on D.Va and other heroes. I gained 13SR, but all I needed to do was hold RMB, not throw out badly timed Fire Strikes, not die, and use opportune moments to recharge my shield. They were kicking out a lot of DPS, so pressing charge or swinging was suicide, so I didn't do it. And we won because I wasn't an idiot. I got a card for damage blocked. But also felt seriously punished for not being an idiot and focusing on soaking and not giving them a single window to break through, I felt like I'd lost 12-15 sr.

Shit like that when you're forced to play conservatively hurts those roles; because when your tank is intractable, there's not a lot to heal either. By contrast, when I've gained the most sr, it's when I've been able to play aggressively because I've had good healers and DPS too keep me alive and shorten the fights. It's clearly a system that wants you to be aggressive and do numbers, even though it's not necessarily what's wanted or needed to win for those roles, but always is for DPS, which is why it seems to work better for them.

The MMR system is stupid is probably the most complained about feature in the game right now, atleast by the vocal part of the competitive playerbase.

It's actually pretty easy to game the system and that absolutely should not happen in any system that decides your ranking.

Just make it win/loss and be done with it imo.