Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    They're not necessary because privately owned companies should be able to do whatever they want. Unless it's discriminate against people who have different opinions than you. Oh...
    Facebook understands that which is necessary. If they were not necessary, they wouldn't do them. When you are a business, and you have a problem that's going to cut your user base in half, you do what's necessary.

so facebook will show more topics about climate change being a hoax and how jesus rode dinosaurs?

anyone able to provide examples of topics that aren't ridiculous that conservatives want to see?

i have no idea what they think is being suppressed

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    so facebook will show more topics about climate change being a hoax and how jesus rode dinosaurs?

anyone able to provide examples of topics that aren't ridiculous that conservatives want to see?

Anti-mass-unskilled-migration articles. People should see both sides without a human adjusting algorithms based on their personal positions.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-24 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post

Things like discussions on Hillary Clinton and the ongoing FBI investigations. You know real topics that are being talked about by the left, but without the tilt of trying to protect Clinton.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    So basically without facts then. I mean she just has to be guilty!
    No side has a monopoly on the truth. All we want is for Facebook to seek neutrality and that's what they are doing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    No side has a monopoly on the truth. All we want is for Facebook to seek neutrality and that's what they are doing.
    Agreed. Facebook is such a widely used site that it should have some kind of neutrality to it. I mean, sure it is a private organization, but still.

Hopefully they go through with this change.

People deserve to hear both sides of every issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    So basically without facts then. I mean she just has to be guilty!
    You are fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of the "trending" feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea that a neutral position between two sides is "the truth" is inherently false.

If I argue that 2+2=4 and you argue that 2+2=5, compromising on the middle ground that 2+2=4.5 is still wrong.

I'm not saying a particular side has a monopoly on the truth, but on certain issues, there absolutely is a "true" side and a "false" side. And it would be misleading to give both equal credence.

Sure, both sides can be equally biased, but that's not typically the case. Typically, it leans more in one direction, or the other. A reasonable person looks to the evidence, and comes to their own conclusion, they don't try and find some artificial middle between those speaking the loudest.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I never noticed this since "things related to this story" still shows a bunch of conservative sites, glad to see they're making steps to be more transparent and getting rid of that top 10 list.

However, I dont think a story should be published just because its conservative to balance out the previous bias (if any). 'Obama is a Kenyan muslim' or 'Newton didnt happen' still needs to be not shown because of its conspiracy theory nonsense.

Deleted
    It's no secret that Facebook, Twitter (and much of the tech world) etc are all very left-wing, one interview with Facebook's CFO will give you a hint as to what kind of bias you can expect there

The political nature of the culture shows in how these sites prioritise newsflow

I'm just impressed they actually took remedial steps to be a bit more impartial - but I guess the bias was so obvious they had to, still a very good thing

Expecting companies to explicitly admit fault however is a different thing; no one from Halliburton to Nestle to Facebook to BP is going to do that, they will just paper over the cracks and move on

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I think BP did, but when you basically have 11 people killed and destroy the environment for all but most of 1 gulf coast state, you cant really avoid it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Actually I think BP did, but when you basically have 11 people killed and destroy the environment for all but most of 1 gulf coast state, you cant really avoid it
    It took months of the global press hammering them for that to happen, and facebook hasn't killed anyone (yet)

and yes I'm curious to see how facebook would kill someone, the imagination runs wild

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It took months of the global press hammering them for that to happen, and facebook hasn't killed anyone (yet)

and yes I'm curious to see how facebook would kill someone, the imagination runs wild
    facebooking while crossing a busy street maybe?

anyways otherwise I agree. Buisnesses will almost never admit fault unless its super super SUPER SUPER bad. like BP bad. Although I think Chipotle did publicly address their shit...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If I argue that 2+2=4 and you argue that 2+2=5, compromising on the middle ground that 2+2=4.5 is still wrong.
    Arithmetic isn't political, feel free to get that trending.

but on certain issues, there absolutely is a "true" side and a "false" side.
    No there isn't on any big complex issue, unless you can prove everyone on a certain side of the political spectrum believes the exact same thing. For example, not everyone on the right believes human rights start at fertilization, and not everyone on the left believes you should be able to abort a baby 3 days before the expected birth date.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-24 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arithmetic isn't political, feel free to get that trending.
    The point, which you're so aggressively avoiding, is that on some issues, there is a "right" side. Taking the middle ground between that and the opposition isn't "neutral", it's deliberately wrong.

No there isn't on any big issue, unless you can prove everyone on a certain side of the political spectrum believes the exact same thing. For example, not everyone on the right believes human rights start at fertilization, and not everyone on the left believes you should be able to abort a baby 3 days before the expected birth date.
    Well, that speaks to the silliness of claiming that there are firm "sides" on all these issues, divided only along political grounds, which is a completely separate silliness.

I mean in cases of, say, teaching evolution in schools. That's the "right" side. Teaching creationism is the "other side". Providing a balanced discussion of both is not a "neutral" position, it gives unwarranted weight to an objectively religious perspective, one which has no place in public schooling in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    You keep missing the part where they said this:

"Our investigation could not fully exclude the possibility of isolated improper actions or unintentional bias in the implementation of our guidelines or policies,"

please stop that.
    You mean they couldn't prove a negative? Shocking.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Haha. This is funny.
    So they got butthurt becasue their ideas were not as popular as they would have liked?

Silly people.

7+ Year Old Account
    The point, which you're so aggressively avoiding, is that on some issues, there is a "right" side. Taking the middle ground between that and the opposition isn't "neutral", it's deliberately wrong.
    No there is not a "right" side to any big political issue.

I mean in cases of, say, teaching evolution in schools. That's the "right" side. Teaching creationism is the "other side". Providing a balanced discussion of both is not a "neutral" position, it gives unwarranted weight to an objectively religious perspective, one which has no place in public schooling in the first place.
    That isn't a big issue, it's a minority of areas who push their ideas against our secular society. You can't generalize that to a majority of right wing voters just because they are Christians. Heck even most Democrats are probably Christians. It doesn't mean most people on either side support creationism via government.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-24 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook would be better off being investigated by a third party.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Facebook would be better off being investigated by a third party.
    Perhaps, but even if bias was found, they still wouldn't have done anything illegal. This is an internal investigation of their own policies. There is literally no need for 3rd party.