Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    I'm not arguing whether she got fired for scandal or concerns about her productivity. I just think it's fucking ridiculous that when a professor is having a discussion with their educated students, it becomes a scandal when she quotes the word "Nigger."
    Neither of us were present for the conversation, nor do we know her as a person or teacher. It is quite possible she is a massive racist and it came across. It is quite possible some people are looking to get offended. All we do know is she wasn't doing her job, and THAT is why she got fired. Thus it's really the only thing there is to discuss.

Outside of that, isn't leaping to the conclusion that some students are just looking to get offended the same thing as some students leaping to the conclusion that she's a racist? Except they actually have more ground to draw a conclusion because she was their teacher and they were there for the convo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    I'm not arguing whether she got fired for scandal or concerns about her productivity. I just think it's fucking ridiculous that when a professor is having a discussion with their educated students, it becomes a scandal when she quotes the word "Nigger."
    Considering there were apparently other issues with her teaching the students may have just been using that as an excuse to try to get her fired. Things like that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    How niggardly of you
    Nice bait. Too bad I'm not ignorant, and know that is an actual word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

If she explained it and didn't use it in a bad manner then I dont get this

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Universities are not about education anymore, they are a for profit business just like the rest of the industry.
    You're damn right. And that's why you need public higher education in your country.

KU has been a hotbed of SJW whining for a long long time. Hopefully see can find a teaching job elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by adaker777 View Post
    If she explained it and didn't use it in a bad manner then I dont get this
    I'll try to explain it.

Bad teacher didn't get her contracted renewed because she's a bad teacher. Bad teacher blames it on SJWs. People flock to bad teacher's defense so they have something to feel victimized about.

I think that covers it.

Deleted
    It's almost like everyone that screams "ERMAGURD IT'S JUST AN SJW EXCUSE!!!!11111111" didn't bother to read this;

Quenette was previously scheduled for a research-intensive semester with no teaching duties this spring, but being on leave the entire semester meant she was not allowed on campus, which hampered her ability to access resources she needed, she said.

Cannot do job because racial hearing, cannot research for months because of hearing, gets fired because could not research because of..do I need to say it again?

“No other faculty member who went through the same type of review this year had the same types of questions asked about them,” Quenette said. “I don’t think any of the student concerns would have ever come to light had the stuff in the fall not happened.”

(I know you could just say "“This is a personnel matter and is not related to the claims of discrimination raised to the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access," KU spokesman Andy Hyland said. "As it is a personnel matter, we cannot discuss it further.”" but yeah, anyone with one iota of inquisitiveness would take a second look at that)

oh man, this brings a lot of good memories when i got 10 accounts banned on a private RO server for calling everyone niggers

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    In a discussion about racism, saying that she had not seen it spray-painted on walls.
    FTFY. Not a biggie, but we should be correct on the context.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Good, don't like seeing someone lose their job, but it is what it is.
    Wait what the fuck?
    Why good?
    There are two arguments here, One, she was fired for saying nigger, which was bad, or she wasn't fired for saying nigger, and its moot.
    You seem to be opening a third line where she was fired for saying nigger, and it was good?
    Did i parse you right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Considering there were apparently other issues with her teaching the students may have just been using that as an excuse to try to get her fired. Things like that happen.
    Yeah, you do get that them using it as an excuse, still means that using nigger, in an appropriate context - would be grounds for firing - Which would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post

Yeah, you do get that them using it as an excuse, still means that using nigger, in an appropriate context - would be grounds for firing - Which would be bad.
    What? That makes no sense. Students aren't control of firing people. The professor wasn't fired. She certainly wasn't fired for saying nigger. Her contract was not renewed for other issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    What? That makes no sense. Students aren't control of firing people. The professor wasn't fired. She certainly wasn't fired for saying nigger. Her contract was not renewed for other issues.
    One of the issues cited by the university, was the students 'concern'.
    but you said 'they used it as a excuse' - Which still means, that the 'nigger' incident was in any way relevant to anything - There shouldn't have been a hearing, the University should just have laughed at the students for a minute, then asked, Wait, you were serious? And then laugher harder.

In a vacuum, the teacher's exposition -as told- has no negative connotations: they were engaging in the discussion and seeking to measure its prevalence or something.
    I always felt there was something missing from that story anyway. Something else must have clicked and rub people the wrong way about the teacher, the students or the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    do you really believe a bunch of people calling you racist making formal complains has no effect on your career
    I know from first hand experience it doesn't always have any impact at all. It depends on the circumstance and the legitimacy of the complaints, among other things. People talk smack about each other all the time in a "professional" environment. Students even more so. So no, I think that is irrelevant. And it certainly wasn't necessary to contribute to or explain her non renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I know from first hand experience it doesn't always have any impact at all. It depends on the circumstance and the legitimacy of the complaints, among other things. People talk smack about each other all the time in a "professional" environment. Students even more so. So no, I think that is irrelevant. And it certainly wasn't necessary to contribute to or explain her non renewal.

Sir Tim Hunt, who won the Nobel Prize for breakthroughs in cancer research, was asked to resign from several academic posts after giving a toast to women scientists and journalists in which he was reported as saying: "Three things happen when [women] are in the lab ... You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."
    Later accounts said that he went on to praise the role of women in science.
    After he resigned from his honorary professorship, eight Nobel laureates and dozens of honorary fellows lined up to criticise UCL. Many believed that Sir Tim was sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.

The unnamed friend said Sir Tim was still upset by the false accusations of sexism, adding: "It's very sad, it's quite clear it's based on their exhaustion. They have been up and down, even quite recently. They have been emotionally affected by it. They have had a lot of criticism, he's had invitations to talk at conferences withdrawn on the grounds he's not a suitable person, or if he appeared it might produce a reaction, backlash or protest."
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2016-05-25 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Sir Tim Hunt, who won the Nobel Prize for breakthroughs in cancer research, was asked to resign from several academic posts after giving a toast to women scientists and journalists in which he was reported as saying: "Three things happen when [women] are in the lab ... You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticise them, they cry."
    Later accounts said that he went on to praise the role of women in science.
    After he resigned from his honorary professorship, eight Nobel laureates and dozens of honorary fellows lined up to criticise UCL. Many believed that Sir Tim was sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.

The unnamed friend said Sir Tim was still upset by the false accusations of sexism, adding: "It's very sad, it's quite clear it's based on their exhaustion. They have been up and down, even quite recently. They have been emotionally affected by it. They have had a lot of criticism, he's had invitations to talk at conferences withdrawn on the grounds he's not a suitable person, or if he appeared it might produce a reaction, backlash or protest."
    Let me highlight the relevant parts of my comment for you: "doesn't ALWAYS have any impact at all," "Students even more so," (as it pertains to students often critiquing teachers for all kinds of irrelevant and incorrect things and those comments therefore having less impact) and MOST importantly... "it certainly wasn't necessary to contribute to or explain her non renewal." It just doesn't matter in this circumstance that we're discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    lol if you think being called a racist constantly has no negative effects

it may change in the future its why the Western World needs a US President like Donald Trump and its the main reason people support him they are sick of being abused and blamed for something they are innocent of

- - - Updated - - -

its sad that this kind of thing happens in Western Culture.. they will keep pushing and pushing until the normal people say no more we have had enough of your bullshit and there will be a massive push back against this SJW trash

- - - Updated - - -

here is a example of innocent people getting punished by students who yell RACISM

this innocent man had to suffer this innocent man lost his job can you explain that

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/09/us...ident-resigns/
    It's like you didn't read ANY of what you just quoted. I never said it can't have an impact. My response was that it doesn't ALWAYS have an impact (in response to someone earlier implying it always did), especially in cases where it's students whining about professors, and it certainly has no bearing on THIS case we're discussing. If you want to bring up a totally new topic where we discuss the validity of those claims, be my guest. I might even agree with you that in some other case it is a problem. However, we're not discussing your new story, we're discussing the original story, in which whiny students had NO impact on the reason for her release.