Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    What is the point of grades below C when a D is the same as an F?

So SJWs are upset that academic standards are getting in the way of spending all day protesting stupid shit

Good, I hope more of them fail. Saves employers the time of sorting through them in the recruiting process

If you abolish below average grades, then the lowest above average grade BECOMES a below average grade.

Maths 101.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    To be fair, the current system is pretty garbage and places more emphasis on memorizing test answers over actually learning. Though this plan doesn't sound better.
    This is why I always preferred classes that were either essay based, or essay test based. Because it was far less about memorizing vast amounts of information, and more about understanding the information and being able to explain how it interacts with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    As time goes on, more people seem to forget the original purpose of schools.
    I'd agree but the current school systems have you memorizing tests rather than focusing on learning. Obviously memory is a big part of learning but still, it places way too much emphasis on the former rather than the latter. Not that I really care, I do both anyway, I just agree with the notion that memorization shouldn't be what tests are about. I absolutely love essays for this reason. I don't have to rely solely on my memory, I can absorb information as it's given to me in class (or research it myself) and write away.

Either way, I disagree with what the kids are doing. The only word I can find for it is stupid.

These are they types of people who will end up with 100k worth of student loans, and end up getting constantly fired from job after job because they had something more important to do that day. Sorry kids, but in the real world, your boss won't accept that you can't come in because you got arrested at a protest. If you tell your boss at a real job that you didn't finish the report because you were out late protesting, you won't have to worry about getting a D vs a B as you would in school, you'll just get fired. These kids are in for such a shock after they graduate, assuming they graduate.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How is a D the same as an F? Maybe in grad school that's true since typically anything less than a C isn't accepted but you can still get credit for a course in undergrad with a D.
    You may still get credit with a D but you still don't pass with a D as you need at least a C to pass the class so what's the point?
    Last edited by Ave07; 2016-05-26 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If you abolish below average grades, then the lowest above average grade BECOMES a below average grade.

Maths 101.
    I don't think they can comprehend that. I mean it is the reason we read that article

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post

"It is not about creating an intellectual space! It is not! Do you understand that? It's about creating a home here!"

Too late. :P

it's a cult now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah I'd be here along with ya. The current system of standardized tests is kind of "lulz" when taking into account the fact that it's the fucking 21st century.

But you can't just give students a free ride.
    I'm wondering what degrees these people are actually getting if it's just about rote memorization. My exams for the most part have required me to understand the content and know how to apply it. If I just google the answers on Chegg I'll be stumped and turn in a blank answer on the exam otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How is a D the same as an F? Maybe in grad school that's true since typically anything less than a C isn't accepted but you can still get credit for a course in undergrad with a D.
    90% of my classes require a C for a prerequisite class. If I received a D, I would retake the class just as if I received an F. I'm only a Junior, it's not a Masters thing.

I actually thought this is a troll thread, mocking the "casual" wow asking for raids to be tuned down, and loot being made more accessible.
    LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord. At least the job market isn't going to have much competition if these morons think the real world will bend over for their sake.

Colleges are becoming a joke because of the number of idiots they are letting in. This is what happens when you give out acceptance letters in the interest of meeting strict requirements based around "equality" by ensuring a certain number of your students match the color certifications while not necessarily meeting the intelligence requirement fully. If they were more based around letting in those who were Truly qualified and truly tried hard to be there, then they would have more students who take college seriously and less students who want to create a safe space so everyone is a winner and special!

This is why I am seeking alternative ways to learning where possible. Simply because I don't want to be associated with the type of people that are causing change in colleges that are just hindering the institutions and their ability to actually teach.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This is why I am seeking alternative ways to learning where possible. Simply because I don't want to be associated with the type of people that are causing change in colleges that are just hindering the institutions and their ability to actually teach.
    Do STEM then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

You know... I don't believe one of the ways Gatsby became "Great" (and I use that in quotes deliberately because the whole point of the book was he was a sham) involved copy/pasting obscure articles onto an off-topic MMORPG forum and talking about them as if they're some full-scale epidemic.