Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Im assuming your mid terms are just in term exams or something so I'll try to relate as best as I can. I'm also speaking for a higher education than college, unless us college is our uni, in which case disregard that.

I think (with our system atleast) something needs to be changed with exams. There are people out there who have "issues with exams". Don't get me wrong most take the piss, but some of us are legit.

I'll use myself as an example,

I have two "issues" the first one is dyslexia, I've always been terrible at exams, low grades or failures, and its always been fustrating to shit because I know the syllabus. Anyways long story short, after assessments turns out sometime I write the end of a sentence first then the start, without even noticing it, or sometimes just two words the wrong way around, example for (xD). And my actual hand writing is an abomination no one can read apparently. So as a counter to this, I've been given authorization to use a laptop and grades have shot up.

The other issue is more recent, I suffer with crohns disease, needless to say it isn't pleasant and this exam season has been the worst ever in two years. To the point, my two hardest / most stressful exams I had to leave an hour and a half early from. That is defo going to impact my grades. And frankly that's just not fair. But in fairness next year I'm being allowed to do "take home exams". Basically 2, 3000 word essays in 48 hours.

So yes I think exam alternatives should be offered, and I do think to get permission to do alternatives that are currently in place is a pain in the arse of dancing through loops to be allowed. But replaced with conversations? No, fuck right off

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    To be fair, the current system is pretty garbage and places more emphasis on memorizing test answers over actually learning. Though this plan doesn't sound better.
    They should come to my country and study engineering. I studied Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics (specialized in Robotics and Nanotechnology later) and that was basically the hardest classes from other types of engineering bundled into one faculty.
    We basically had to know how to extract ore, make and use alloys, build furnaces (with correct airflow, etc.),draw and 3d model parts/complete pieces, cut and cast parts(including how and what from to make molds), hydraulics, aerodynamics, make circuit boards, electrical circuits, program everything so it works, management and marketing. And probably some other bullshit I don't even remember now.
    If someone threw you on a deserted island or forest you should be able to build a computer/robot from scratch, supervise a team of monkeys so they replicate it and then be able to sell said products to a fucking dolphin or w/e.

Almost every single exam was open "book" (you were allowed to bring a laptop and you had access to the internet) and we still had over 90% failure rate since "curving" grades was never a thing here. If you are stupid, you're not fit.
    Someone like this "activist students not only wanted to abolish all grades below a 'C,' they also thought faculty members should proactively offer them alternatives to taking a written, in-class midterm exam" even existing makes me want to puke.

Testing is absolute shit. You learn more from physically explaining something than you do memorizing and spitting it onto a piece of paper. However if you're a piece of shit idiot, you deserve the low grades.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    There are plenty of posts in this thread that approach the topic seriously without drifting entirely into political BS, shouldn't you also be able to make a relevant point in less than a hundred pages?
    No, because what I have to say takes explaining upon explaining for people like you to understand. I'm not advocating for change to schools, BTW. I have an opinion on how it can be changed for the better, and it's probably something you'll agree with me on, but it's just an opinion and not something that I care to advocate for because it'll never happen unless money is not an issue AT ALL.

The thread isn't about school reform so much as it's about kids thinking it should be reformed because they don't want to participate. Let's stick to the topic and stop with the strawmans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    Testing is absolute shit. You learn more from physically explaining something than you do memorizing and spitting it onto a piece of paper. However if you're a piece of shit idiot, you deserve the low grades.
    If someone doesn't know the proper definitions for basic terminology within their profession, they don't know the proper definitions for basic terminology within their profession. The "you learn more from X" thing is really just a time honored excuse for failing to meet standards for all but the odd exceptional cases, which if the college is doing its job properly can be reviewed and fixed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    SJWs aren't liberal by the very definition of the word. They're usually leftist, sure. I'm a liberal and think most of the shit they say is 100% bullshit. You can't take this tiny, but loud, minority and associate it with the majority of people. That's the same collectivist bullshit THEY do.

The left is in conflict with itself over these people, and the right are not helping the sane leftist fight the insane. They instead spread bullshit about how stories like this is solely a liberal thing... So, we have to fight you and them at the same time. How about you stop grouping us all together?
    Because I dont see you guys fighting them hard enough. If I start seeing left activism against left activism then I will acknowledge it. Untill then I assume your and your kind is complacent with SJW left.

Give all arts degree students A's. All of them. It's not like they're getting a job anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Oh, now low grades affecting their precious little feelings?
    I have to admit that in my first semester i had two C's and a D.
    Most professors in college just hand out free A's to students anyway. For example, for my Sociology class, all the exams were based on giving definitions to certain sociological concepts and yet some individuals would have trouble obtaining a B. it is mind boggling to even think about these circumstances: how would anyone score a grade below a B in a test that is merely based on giving correct definitions. it was the easiest A that i have ever obtained.
    Colleges are businesses in the U.S. and students are customers and that is the leading cause of grade inflation. THe reason why the professors are being so lenient on students is because of the fear of being "fired".
    Last edited by Elian; 2016-05-25 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Because I dont see you guys fighting them hard enough. If I start seeing left activism against left activism then I will acknowledge it.
    What would you define as "activism" here? There are liberal YouTubers that have hundreds of thousands of subscribers that attack SJWs all the time.

The problem you have is that you assume shit. Stop assuming things.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Give all arts degree students A's. All of them. It's not like they're getting a job anyway.
    It's not like they grow up and influence society at all, right?!?!?!

When the "liberal" media is dominated by these idiots, they have the power to dictate what the world sees. They hijack the left and then it gets people like Trump elected.

Do you think Trump would be a thing if it weren't for the extreme on the left?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your teachers and lecturers will have a damn good idea of where you're going to score before you sit a test for them. They see you every week, they know good students from bad students from mediocre students. It's incredibly rare that you'll surprise them with a relative overperformance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    As an employer I just want to say this: I wouldn't want to hire any of these students and I doubt anyone else would either.

But I guess they will go into politics anyway, so it's ok I guess.
    Problem is if they get into politics and end up elected then they can make stupid rules like that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    Problem is if they get into politics and end up elected then they can make stupid rules like that
    People like that have been in politics since the 1960's

We just got to make sure they never get to rule.

When the "liberal" media is dominated by these idiots, they have the power to dictate what the world sees. They hijack the left and then it gets people like Trump elected.

Do you think Trump would be a thing if it weren't for the extreme on the left?

just look at all these SJW's with their social justice degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Because I dont see you guys fighting them hard enough. If I start seeing left activism against left activism then I will acknowledge it. Untill then I assume your and your kind is complacent with SJW left.
    I don't see the right fighting the racist, homophobic, religious zealots, skinhead, anti-education, anti immigration portion, by your logic all people on the right must be just like them. SJWS are just plain dumb at times yes but at least on the left, we don't cater to them or put them on our party platform, on the right not only do you not fight them you embrace and elevate them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I don't see the right fighting the racist, homophobic, religious zealots, skinhead, anti-education, anti immigration portion, by your logic all people on the right must be just like them. SJWS are just plain dumb at times yes but at least on the left, we don't cater to them or put them on our party platform, on the right not only do you not fight them you embrace and elevate them.
    Not sure what you're talking about.
    All those things you mention have ended up being buzzwords used by anyone who doesnt fully agree with SJWs.

- - - Updated - - -

What would you define as "activism" here? There are liberal YouTubers that have hundreds of thousands of subscribers that attack SJWs all the time.

The problem you have is that you assume shit. Stop assuming things.
    I would define something that goes out in the face in real world and actively resist them. Like an protest against protest where sane left wing people actively decry SJWkins as soon as they rear their head on collegue campuses.

Deleted
    We are growing a generation of students that think they can identify as a genderfluid 2-metre high feline, while not allowed to be criticised in what they do during their college time.
    This is going to end well

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    We are growing a generation of students that think they can identify as a genderfluid 2-metre high feline, while not allowed to be criticised in what they do during their college time.
    This is going to end well
    Meh I just think it's a sign we are all getting old, every generation looks at the incoming one with dread. There are always a lot of dumb people but just enough smart ones to keep society from imploding usually, though we can't say much since our generation wasn't exactly perfect either.

How are they going to give oral exams to people who probably can't even speak proper English?

Deleted
    Both parties benefit, i get NEET buddies and they lose out on shitty students.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Oberlin Students Want Below-Average Grades Abolished, Midterms Replaced with Conversations
    Isn't that called Gender Studies? Where everyone needs to be a special snowflake.