Smile Just got back to my rogue. Need tips and inspiration! :)

Hello everyone. I just got back to my rogue. Its been 7 years since I last played on it. Im atm level 100. Currrently im combat and think I will be Outlaw in Legion. I just need some tips for dps, gear, enchants and addons etc. It feels like I dont have the right rotation. Maybe im missing some addons witch could help me out. Does anyone know a good video I could watch or something to help me out?

Thanks for all tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the best spec right for farming instances, rep and questes?

Well, first of all welcome back Since you said you haven't played this toon in many years, I'm gonna assume that you're also a returning player in general. (sry if I'm wrong and I backtrack over stuff you already know <3)

I'm a combat rogue too --its great for older dungeons, no worries there. You have a move called 'blade flurry' now that makes it so enemies around you take damage when you attack something. In older raids and stuff where things don't have as much health and you hit like a frieght train, its great for clearing trash.

Ok, lets see. For stats you're going to want to focus on haste and multistrike (after agil of course). Haste will let you regen energy faster besides making your attacks just faster in general, and multistrike does exactly what it sounds like--sometimes you'll get an extra strike when you attack. After multistrike, your best stats are Mastery and crit, with 'versatility' being the least of them.

As for guides, Icy veins is a pretty good resource. They mention a rogue-specific site called Shadowcraft, but I haven't used it yet so can't comment on it. sounds cool though. Here's the link to their guide on combat rogues http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/combat-rogue-pve-dps-guide

There's also a popular site that a lot of people use when they're trying to choose between upgrades and optimize their gems/enchants called Askmrrobot.com. Here's a quick link to the page where you can ask it to look at your toon. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player

For addons, there are probably a lot of rogue-specific ones out there but I personally don't use many of them-- here are some of the 'big' ones you'll want to focus on though. The best site for addons is through 'curse.com' (I suggest downloading the client, it makes things really simple and intuitive). For raiding, "Deadly Boss Mods' is tremendously useful. It gives you warnings when a boss is about to do certain mechanics or when you have a debuff placed on you that you have to react to. "Recount' is less important but still useful-- when you type "/recount show" into your chat window, it shows you a chart of who did how much dps, and if you click on a player it shows you a pie chart of what your dps actually came from (like crits, and specific moves. Its cool).

Now for the nitty gritty--rotation. To start with, there are 3 things to keep an eye on. You're going to want to keep up 'slice and dice' as much as possible, since it lets you attack faster. It lasts longer the more combo points you put into it. The buff for that will show on the top of your screen near your minimap, and you don't have to wait for it to run out before you use 'slice and dice' again. In theory its possible to keep it up pretty much forever with refreshing it now and then.

Another essential move is called 'revealing strike." This small attack puts a debuff on the boss that lets all of your attacks give you extra combo points. Naturally with trash mobs it wont always be useful if they die quickly, but otherwise hell yeah, go for it. The debuff has a fairly short duration so you're going to want to put that move someplace on your action bar so its convenient to hit often.

We also have a weird little passive called "Bandits Guile". Now this isn't essential to playing your toon at all, but being aware of it is important if you feel like getting the most of your toon in a raid setting (and being a rock-star in 5 mans). The way it works, is that there is a cycling flow to when we are at our most powerful in a fight. This will show up as a buff like 'slice n dice', and it will look like a green, yellow, or red icon. When the green icon is there, our attacks do 10% more damage. When the icon is yellow, its 30% more damage, and when its red, its 50% more! After the red icon goes away then we come back to the start of the cycle, and then get 'green' again. This happens all through the fight.

Now, the thing that 'triggers' the icon colors changing, is how many times we use 'sinister strike'. it is 4 times per color change. So naturally if you start using your cooldowns when your icon is yellow or red, then Oooooo boy your numbers go up lol

The basic rotation is sinister strike to build your combo points, then Eviscerate to spend them (we can also spend them in recuperate for a nice little self heal). Blade flurry is good to enable if you're dealing with multiple mobs (but be warned your energy regen will be reduced while its active, and it lasts until you cancel it).

Your big cooldowns are Adrenaline Rush and Killing Spree. AR will double your energy regen for 10-ish seconds and its awesome for burn phases, bosses, or if you want to blade-flurry down a big group of trash mobs for funsies.

(cloak of shadows has a 1.5 min cooldown and its tremendously awesome. It protects you against spell damage, takes some debuffs off you, and keeps you safe from fire-magical-poop-on-floor damage. heartily recommended to keep on your bar at all times)

Killing spree is pretty fantastic--you attack a bunch of times very rapidly for a couple of seconds. This has several strengths, because not only is it great in single-target, but its also ridiculously fun in packs of mobs. When 'blade flurry' is active and you use this, each attack will damage other mobs near you besides your target, and your character will zap between different monsters. If you don't have blade flurry active then it will hone in on your target. Another neat feature of this move is that while this crazy attack is in progress, your energy will still regenerate. So if you're energy starved at the moment, you can use this and be perfect again when its done. (and when you line this up with when your icon is red from bandits guile, you have some amazing dps on your hands!)

I almost forgot one of the most important things we have--- 'tricks of the trade". the way this works, is that you target the tank in your party and cast this spell on him. Then, all of the aggro that you would have gotten from your attacks, go to the tank instead. it just has a 30 second cooldown, so you can use this to do your best in dungeons with great safety!

TLR Holy TExtwall I'm sorry-- I promise we're not as complicated now as all this makes it look xD http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/combat-rogue-pve-dps-guide

So in a nutshell-- when your tank pulls some trash, throw 'tricks of the trade' on him, sinister strike a few times, cast slice n dice, cast blade flurry, and let loose the dogs of war!

Have fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkleppe View Post
    Hello everyone. I just got back to my rogue. Its been 7 years since I last played on it. Im atm level 100. Currrently im combat and think I will be Outlaw in Legion. I just need some tips for dps, gear, enchants and addons etc. It feels like I dont have the right rotation. Maybe im missing some addons witch could help me out. Does anyone know a good video I could watch or something to help me out?

Thanks for all tips!

- - - Updated - - -

hi there i think i could help you but im probably repeating myself. use eviscerate as much as you can at 5 combo to answer question about dps. Gear if you are on a PVP server use the versatility gear for survival; than just strait pve stats. enchants? i think is your preference. try using shurken toss to build up your recuperate and slice and dice on range first then engage melee. pistol shot is going to be your range in legion might wanna practice. this is a suggestion on approaching your rotation. try drawing nonstop circles because thats exactly what a rogues rotation feels like at its highest strength. the addons is your choice. i dont use any.

when you check out all the specs and they perform relative. i guess rogues have a melee and range hybrid of combat style.

tip of the day; use wound for pvp and deadly for pve.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Deleted
    Sub all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    hi there i think i could help you but im probably repeating myself. use eviscerate as much as you can at 5 combo to answer question about dps. Gear if you are on a PVP server use the versatility gear for survival; than just strait pve stats. enchants? i think is your preference. try using shurken toss to build up your recuperate and slice and dice on range first then engage melee. pistol shot is going to be your range in legion might wanna practice. this is a suggestion on approaching your rotation. try drawing nonstop circles because thats exactly what a rogues rotation feels like at its highest strength. the addons is your choice. i dont use any.

when you check out all the specs and they perform relative. i guess rogues have a melee and range hybrid of combat style.

tip of the day; use wound for pvp and deadly for pve.
    Seriously? Why are you spreading toxicity like this?

For OP: For a class overview check the icyveins or wowhead class guides.

For general instances, world pve stuff, farming, combat is nice and laid back, and has the aoe to help power through dungeons.
    The other specs are both more interesting(my opinion) and worth learning.

And don't listen to a damn thing that Thieves Cant says.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkleppe View Post

Thanks for all tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Haste and Multistrike are the best stats for combat atm. Blade Flurry is awesome for multi target situations so don't forget to use it.

Only addon I use is something to help me track my combo points. Also forget the concept "rotation" when it comes to rogues.

Rule 1: Keep slince and dice up
    Rule 2: Don't cap energy or combo points (sometimes might not be possible)
    Rule 3: Don't spam your keyboard like a mongol, energy won't regen faster if you do so. In some cases saving energy is important. WE ARE NOT A GCD dependant class.

That's it pretty much. CD usage (your 2 CD's are Adrenaline Rush and Killing Spree)really depends on the situation so I'd rather not get into detail about that. You have to figure that out for yourself..