Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Derecho View Post
    You are being intellectually dishonest at this point, Endus. (Something you often accuse others of being)

You posted this graph to try to show that there was essentially no correlation between unemployment and minimum wage. In my original post, which I now suspect you didn't read through, I specifically mentioned how minimum wage hikes impacts the young and unskilled people.

The average minimum wage worker in the US is 35.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emjay18 View Post
    And that number is severely skewed. It doesnt take into effect retired people who get part time minimum wage jobs so they have something to do but dont need the job. It doesnt consider people with real jobs who take on a part time minimum wage job to make some extra cash in the evenings. Additionally the number of people earning minimum wage isnt nearly as many as you think it is. There are only 1.7 million people making minimum wage out of 122 million people employed. Thats less than 1% of the workforce that makes minimum wage.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...ees-in-the-us/
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-minimum-wage/

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And that number is severely skewed. It doesnt take into effect retired people who get part time minimum wage jobs so they have something to do but dont need the job. It doesnt consider people with real jobs who take on a part time minimum wage job to make some extra cash in the evenings. Additionally the number of people earning minimum wage isnt nearly as many as you think it is. There are only 1.7 million people making minimum wage out of 122 million people employed. Thats less than 1% of the workforce that makes minimum wage.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...ees-in-the-us/
    http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-minimum-wage/
    First, one of your links says 3.3 million.
    Second, what of people earning less than 10 bucks an hour? 12 bucks? Neither could be enough depending on where you live.
    Third, I know you're going to scold them into working harder but someday you might not have your cushy unionized job and you'll have to join the ranks of the low waged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    First, one of your links says 3.3 million.
    Second, what of people earning less than 10 bucks an hour? 12 bucks? Neither could be enough depending on where you live.
    Third, I know you're going to scold them into working harder but someday you might not have your cushy unionized job and you'll have to join the ranks of the low waged.
    Ive already worked multiple low wage jobs for around 10 years when I was younger. Its called working your way up and making sacrifices to get to where you want to be. And that 3.3 million number includes people who make less than minimum wage on paper but make much more after tips like restaurant servers

There's a pretty big difference being overlooked here between industrial plant style automation and restaurant automation.

First of all, the only people even allowed around serious industrial robots are trained professionals. You don't have 10 year olds sticking gum in the cash slot. You don't have untrained customers trying to use equipment they've never seen before. You don't have to put in a work order for a technician to fix something when it breaks, the technicians are already there, and they make more than minimum wage.

All this bullshit about robots taking over is just the last capitalistic scream about paying fair wages. If they could have replaced every employee with robots and made more money, they fucking would have. Period. They can't, not even in the foreseeable future.

And if it is true, let them put their money where their mouth is. Enough of the threatening bullshit.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2016-05-28 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive already worked multiple low wage jobs for around 10 years when I was younger. Its called working your way up and making sacrifices to get to where you want to be. And that 3.3 million number includes people who make less than minimum wage on paper but make much more after tips like restaurant servers
    The 3.3 million includes tipped workers who make the minimum wage or less. It does not include tipped workers who make more than the minimum wage. The additional 1.7 million people all make less than the minimum wage.

Furthermore, you didn't address the number of people who work at low wage jobs. Walmart pays 9 bucks an hour and employs hundreds of thousands of people. Some of those people need government asisstance to make ends meet despite being employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    The point is you can hire 1 person to just do that and 1 person to keep maintaining the robots instead of 5 people or whatnot to do 5 different tasks.

There will always be human interaction in some shape or form, but it's being downsized to a minimum.
    I notice a lot of fast food joints running on 3 person skeleton crews right now including the manager. This is nothing new.