Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    NATO better fucking stay out of Finland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post

Yeah but we are a great moral power!

Yeah, that anyone associated with that mess wasn't fired is a testament to how fucking corrupt our political system is.
    But they didn't knooooow, how they could they have known!?

US bringing democracy to Swe, just the other way round.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muwatallis View Post
    US bringing democracy to Swe, just the other way round.
    Swedish democracy is a joke anyways, we have 7 parties who pretty much sit in broad agreement on some topics and shut anyone out that's critical of it and there's no way to get people to vote for parties that would change things up. Too little influence from the people to be able to change things.

Not sure what to say about this one. Staying neutral has worked well for us and I think I'd rather we stayed neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    That's not non-trivial. The law should apply equally to everyone that's in Sweden. No special treatment.
    Except for the fact that Sweden has no garnateed right to trial by jury in criminal cases. You may not look at it like we do, but from our perspective, that's deeply flawed. Let's spare ourselves the part where we go back and forth over how great/terrible jury trials are though. Legal Scholars broadly disagree and we're not legal scholars.

But if you want the biggest reason as to why the US plays hardball with foreign prosecution, this is why. It's not like someone going on a vacation and raping some girl. US Government employees go where they are told. And since in the US, you're innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of evidence lies on the accuser, it is philosophically consistent to think of jury trials as a protection against injustice. Going with that, anyone deployed overseas who doesn't have a jury trial under agreement with the US would be left unprotected.

Sometimes the US goes with that and is convinced that legal protections in foreign countries, though different, are up to US standards, and allows its citizens to be tried under foreign law. Sometimes it doesn't. It's case by case. From what I recall from the Julian Assange rape case, Sweden's legal system is highly regarded by the US. Going with that, I doubt there would be a problem.

But if you want a reason, this is why, and from our perspective, there are few bigger deals than the protection of our citizens rights when our citizens are being ordered to foreign lands. Stationing US forces is a negotiation, and this is part of the negotiation. The US will take the most it can get, and the host will try (and should try) to take the most they get. The result will be something nobody is completely pleased about. It's a compromise and civilized nations can do it.

Incoming Shalcker and the rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    It's worked for Switzerland for hundreds of years.
    Then they are exceptional, the majority of states have failed at convincing hegemons they are truly neutral.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-25 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It won't. You can count on that.

Finland joining NATO one day makes a hysterical amount of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Who gives a shit what Russia says lol.
    Sweden does, that's for sure

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I mean, Sweden is easily the most NATO-Ready military in the world along with Japan and Australia.

The process of bringing Poland into NATO has been a 15 year affair. It wasn't just signing some paper. It was reorganizing their entire defense structure, reequipping them with western-standarized gear. Retraining even the lowliest technician (NOT a minor deal considering training, manuals and institutional knowledge get handed down over decades). Poland has come a long way but it'll be another 10+ years before it's fully "there".

Sweden? They can change the letter head on some official documents, go down to a flag store and buy a NATO flag, and they're pretty much there.

Everyone forgets half of NATO. One half is the fighting force. The other half, the other half is the one making sure that 28 different nations (well 29 now) conform to equipment and tech standards. It's no small thing making sure an F-16 that takes off from the US could land in Germany and be maintained by a German crew no differently, and then flown to Norway where they do the same. Heck a big chunk of the F-35 program is a revolutionary new logistics systems designed to help ease this.
    Sounds interessting. Not sure what he had to do with what I said though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Except for the fact that Sweden has no garnateed right to trial by jury in criminal cases.
    Which is how it should be. No special treatment for people. In Sweden, everyone should be equal before the law. They should be sentenced after our laws and standards, not yours. If we start having different standards for people depending on where they come from, that opens up for a lot of exploitation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Which is how it should be. No special treatment for people. In Sweden, everyone should be equal before the law. They should be sentenced after our laws and standards, not yours.
    A greater number of people making decisions is going to increase the chance of special treatment? Usually special treatment arises from consolidated power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well there's a NATO excercise in June, which also involves US troops on Finland soil afaik.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A greater number of people making decisions is going to increase the chance of special treatment? Usually special treatment arises from consolidated power.
    Unlike a jury, our system relies on people educated within the law largely instead of random people in society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Unlike a jury, our system relies on people educated within the law largely instead of random people in society.
    Right, that argument is okay. However educated people with more centralized power can just as (or much more) easily use it to give special treatment.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-25 at 09:37 PM.

Deleted
    Which is how it should be. No special treatment for people. In Sweden, everyone should be equal before the law. They should be sentenced after our laws and standards, not yours. If we start having different standards for people depending on where they come from, that opens up for a lot of exploitation.
    They'd be lucky to get a Swedish trial instead of an American, we are much more lenient when it comes to sentencing. As long as there is due process and justice i don't really care either way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Right, that argument is okay. However educated people with more centralized power can just as (or more) easily use it to give special treatment.
    Juries are easier to sway/influence than those who are working as judges and are educated within the law, they are more susceptible to emotional arguments than those educated within the law since they're just an average citizen and not a professional who have to look past emotions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Juries are easier to sway/influence than those who are working as judges and are educated within the law, they are more susceptible to emotional arguments than those educated within the law since they're just an average citizen and not a professional who have to look past emotions.
    I don't know if that is true but if it is that sounds good, I want a system based more on logic, less on emotion.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-25 at 09:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yeah. I mean, I'd rather be sentenced for rape in Sweden than in the US.
    I'd rather not be sentenced for rape anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.