Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You adapt to a country, a country should not have to adapt to you, if you can't adapt to the country, get the fuck out and move to a country that has the same value you hold.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

7+ Year Old Account
    either adapt or go back to where ever the hell you came from.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    As minor the incident might be, the precedent is clear: If you're moving to a country with a different culture than your own, expect to have to adapt to it. That means, in this case, shaking hands.
    Comments like this are the reason we need upvote button on mmo-champion
    Even if you visit your friends house you're expected to follow his rules. Same thing applies if you move to another country / culture. If you don't like it you're free to leave.

Deleted
    i bet switerland will back down on this eventually

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    As minor the incident might be, the precedent is clear: If you're moving to a country with a different culture than your own, expect to have to adapt to it. That means, in this case, shaking hands.
    Yes - Wish that was made perfectly clear to everyone.

I don't know if these are refugees or just Swiss citizens. The refugees don't exactly want to go there because they have property seizure policies for refugees to help pay for the cost. I think the Swiss also have a more time consuming process for asylum seekers, they don't just get to run into the country and be taken in, they have to apply for asylum.
    Last edited by nonameelf; 2016-05-25 at 08:15 PM.

Something something respect their culture.

Something something human rights.

Did I do it right?

10+ Year Old Account
    The regional authority said teachers "had the right" to demand handshakes.

Shaking teachers' hands as a sign of respect is a longstanding tradition in Switzerland.

If it's not a law the Swiss can fuck off. I'm all for ending ridiculous culture, but not to replace it with just as ridiculous culture. If they don't want to touch you then they shouldn't have to. It's their body.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Shaking hands before and after each lesson? That is interesting, we definitely don't do that here in the US.
    In America some SJW would probably sue because a teacher shook their hand too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting tradition. Did you know that something like 1/5 man don't wash their hands after masturbating?

I'm a bit of a germophobe, don't like to touch other people if I can avoid it. This seems like nothing more than an unnecessary "tradition" that will serve little purpose other than spreading disease.

Still, if such a "tradition" is that important to Sweden, they're welcome to enforce it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    If it's not a law the Swiss can fuck off. I'm all for ending ridiculous culture, but not to replace it with just as ridiculous culture. If they don't want to touch you then they shouldn't have to. It's their body.
    Shaking someones hand hardly carries the same connotation as touching someones body. You use your hands to wipe your ass, open bathroom doors, eat, pick up things off the floor. But you're too good to shake someone of the opposite sex's hand? Gtfo. Shaking hands is standard practice in the business world and good on the swiss for encouraging respect in their classrooms.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Interesting tradition. Did you know that something like 1/5 man don't wash their hands after masturbating?

I'm a bit of a germophobe, don't like to touch other people if I can avoid it. This seems like nothing more than an unnecessary "tradition" that will serve little purpose other than spreading disease.

Still, if such a "tradition" is that important to Sweden, they're welcome to enforce it.
    Uh? What?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Uh? What?
    Sorry, Switzerland, whatever. I'm doing a couple different things at once here.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get tradition and all that but if it's not a law that one must shake the hand of teachers then how can anyone force a student to do that? If a student wants to be rude as fuck that's their right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Shaking someones hand hardly carries the same connotation as touching someones body.
    Your hand is a part of your body. If I don't want to touch you in any way I shouldn't have to.

You use your hands to wipe your ass, open bathroom doors, eat, pick up things off the floor.
    You have to do these things.

But you're too good to shake someone of the opposite sex's hand? Gtfo.
    You don't have to shake someone's hand. And maybe you shouldn't want to shake someone's hand after they wiped their ass, opened the bathroom door, and picked something off of the floor.

Shaking hands is standard practice in the business world and good on the swiss for encouraging respect in their classrooms.
    And what about respecting the people who don't want to shake hands? Fuck them right?

This is the same argument for forcing children to pledge to the flag. If you don't want to you shouldn't be forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I get tradition and all that but if it's not a law that one must shake the hand of teachers then how can anyone force a student to do that? If a student wants to be rude as fuck that's their right
    Schools often have many rules that are not laws that students are required to follow. Not sure why people are acting like this is a foreign concept.

Deleted
    I'd say all students must hug their teachers. Love and compassion is the way to go.

:]

Good for them. Lol at all the infractions... Endus woke up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Schools often have many rules that are not laws that students are required to follow. Not sure why people are acting like this is a foreign concept.
    That's not a foreign concept but whats with the fine on parents if their children refuse to comply? I'm not familiar with how their education system is run over there but that doesn't seem like private schooling. What law are they using to force fines on parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    That's not a foreign concept but whats with the fine on parents if their children refuse to comply? I'm not familiar with how their education system is run over there but that doesn't seem like private schooling. What law are they using to force fines on parents?
    Maybe the Swiss fine parents instead of suspending students for misbehavior.