Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    I got PotG as Mei in beta all the time. Well placed Blizzard and then just pick people off with alt fire. Wiped a whole team a few times that way. It really just depends on the skill of the player. That said sometimes I will see plays that are so boring that I wonder how it even calculates. I saw a guy literally kill 2 people like 10 seconds apart and it counted. Nothing fancy at all. Some characters do have it way easier than others though depending on the map.
    Yeah, I've seen this too. PotG seems random, as with the vote cards at the end. Sometimes the PotG was just ridiculously good and they aren't even put up for the vote. Other times the PotG is crazy boring and they are the only one on the team to get the card (if the team gets one at all). I don't quite understand it.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Zarya, Zenyatta, Lucio, S76 are the ones I have NOT seen yet get POTG.
    Reaper, Bastion, Junkrat are the ones I see the MOST.
    Mercy, Widow, Reinhardt, Symmetra are the rare ones.
    I got a POT on Lucio by knocking 2 people off a ledge at the same time. That's all it takes

As someone who plays support, we're usually the ones that get upvoted the most. My team and enemy Tracers(damn them!) know my contribution and thank me appropriately by either trying to protect me or killing me horribly.
    Last edited by Drakpower; 2016-05-26 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think mass damage should count for POTG as well and not just last minute taps. There times I've saved a cap by running in tossing grenade with Junkrat, drop a trap, drop a bomb blow myself into the air, drop more grenades from the sky and doing massive damage. The enemy team is then usually scattered, picked off and someone gets the potg for last shots.

More often than not the POTG are boring.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    With Symettra I get about 22-25 eliminations a match and of those 15 will be to turrets. If you can get close enough to lock that beam on and start hopping around in random directions most enemies without huge melee drop dead pretty damned quick. If you get behind them they are pretty much dead as they don't seem to recognise which direction the damage is coming from. Fighting around a turret will increase succes and I also find that moving them around on cooldown helps a lot as when they die to a turret they see where it is in death cam and get rid of it.
    In a straight up one on one match a Sym will beat a Mei freeze beam a split second before you can be frozen solid, you slow down and can't turn to aim but you don't have to since the beam locks on.

One of my favorite things to do is annoy the shit out of a team with Sym and when they get all salty about 'Sym carries require no skill' I rub it in thier faces and they almost always go sym themselves and fail heavy when I come through with a sym turret counter like Winston/Mei. (Mei's freeze ray clears rooms of tiny turrets.)

I just wish in volskaya you could put you turrets under a floating pad and have a mobile death platform but soon as it reaches a spot where it would be near the floor on the second level it explodes.
    Yeah, it's pretty funny. It's not that effective against full premades though but in solo queue it's a sure way of starting some rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten loads of PotG with Symmetra (although I argue she is more defensive than a support since she can't heal and her barriers are crappy) and Lucio (there was one particular game, Ilios, where I just kept pushing people off the ledge or into the well. Got play of the game for knocking 3 people down the well. that was nice).

I'm tired of seeing Reaper and Soldier: 76 play of the games when all they have to do is pop their ults and practically get it handed to them.

If mercy reses at the end of a game and get 2-3 ppl its instant POTG.
    As a Main lucio player ive only got POTG once since start of open beta and that was for knocking 2 people off a egde, and had ntohign to do with playing as support, i think main problem as same for symmetra is both there ultri cant get you POTG so you need to do better than people with ulti.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

If anything supports get most of the votes by far, I tend to play Mercy mostly and get anywhere from 4 to 8 votes quite often, raerly a 10 or 12, might have also something to do with ppl not really having a reason to be annoyed at supports so even if say a Reaper kills the entire enemy team and wins his/her team the match the enemy will just be unlikely to vote for him out of frustration alone that they got killed.

PotG atleast as Mercy works fine, got it say 10-15 times since open beta but it does feel meh that for say Lucio to get it he has to kill ppl/knock them off instead of performing his role.I'm not even sure what to think of Symmetra as her support kit (teleport+shields) cannot really get a PotG so she is stuck getting it via killing regardless what they change, I do feel she makes more sense as a defense char.
    Last edited by Bleda; 2016-05-26 at 04:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    not to brag but I think Mercy receives great votes in the poll section. I even became legendary once in beta and once in live.

as mercy, in order to get good plays of the game you either need to go pistol mercy or res +3 dead allies with your ult, maybe a combo of both. but I think that end vote speaks volumes on how the PLAYERS perceived your character in the games.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only character I haven't seen in PotG yet is Winston, though the only PotGs I've seen from Lucio and Zenyatta were the ones I got

Anyway, TC, it'd probably be hard to calculate a real game-changing play apart from just going "well, let's just go by the most kills in the shortest timespan", so usually that's what you get as PotG. Very rarely it'll be someone shutting down an ult or Mercy reviving multiple people.

The cards at the end tend to give support enough credit though, almost always "healing done" or blocked damage/whatever. But people also tend to ignore those and just promote whoever got the highest elimination count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I think the only character I haven't seen in PotG yet is Winston, though the only PotGs I've seen from Lucio and Zenyatta were the ones I got

Anyway, TC, it'd probably be hard to calculate a real game-changing play apart from just going "well, let's just go by the most kills in the shortest timespan", so usually that's what you get as PotG. Very rarely it'll be someone shutting down an ult or Mercy reviving multiple people.

The cards at the end tend to give support enough credit though, almost always "healing done" or blocked damage/whatever. But people also tend to ignore those and just promote whoever got the highest elimination count.

I thought PotG Winstons were not a possibility until I witnessed at least two yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ALWAYS play Lucio if there are no support and I 100% get gold in healing and sometimes objective and I've never gotten the 5 vote bonus thing.

People either don't vote or they vote for the Pharah scrub that got the potg for ulting 4 guys from a distance.

I always vote for support at the end, but apparently I'm one of the few.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foolsname View Post
    Symmetra and Lucio are sure the 2 most rare to get Potg with (Lucio fall-to-death right clicks can sometimes get it tho) , Mercy can get quite easily with her ult and so does Zenyatta, but he requires just good playing (Mercy is the easiest of all supports, had like 5-10 potg with her beta/live). Also reinhardt and zarya pretty easy, just with well prepared ultimates. That is if you count them as supports of a kind.
    Don't think I've ever seen a Lucio, Symmetra, or Zarya get a potg.

Mei is actually pretty rare too since she doesn't really have a lot of damage per se, mostly CC. However I did get my first potg as Mei last night by freezing and then head shooting 4 frozen people and then running after someone else and sniping him down for a total of 5 kills. Was a good day for Mei.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    I play almost exclusively support characters, especially when grouping up with my friends. I actually got my first PotG yesterday as Mercy, which was awesome! I was so proud. I do think people recognize that healing is a crucial part of a win, and I do see myself getting upvoted a lot. Even by the enemy team!

Even so, I rarely see Supports getting PotG. But if you do manage it? DAMN, it feels good.

Support is usually a very unrewarding role, in terms of receiving appropriate merit, in an unorganized environment, in most areas and games spread across gaming.

Overwatch wouldn't be the one to change the norm; Even though POTG was a good step in the right direction - but still a very flawed system that can't really change the way most people think and see gaming.

Last night the game treated me to the old "AFK Torbjorn POTG". Seriously, he wasn't even moving. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Don't think I've ever seen a Lucio, Symmetra, or Zarya get a potg.
    I've seen a few Zarya and Lucio POTGs. Symmetra... I think once I got one from a particularly brutal turret nest :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I play Mercy pretty much exclusively. I find it is very easy to get a card up at the end of the match as long as I do a pretty good job healing. My average eliminations per match is ~1.5 which means healing uptime is usually solid. If I am playing in a pre-made my team will usually up-vote me heavily. People outside the team not so much in my experience.

I struggle a lot to get play of the game but I don't think that has so much to do with my performance as it does with the performance of the rest of the players. Even if you pop a 4+ player battle resurrection if the other players in your match are good you are not going to get play of the game. Sadly when I have gotten play of the game it is usually in a PUG which didn't perform very well so my ultimate was the best thing going for us.

Honestly though this doesn't really bother me. Play of the game is a fun addition but I derive most of my satisfaction from a hard fought and close match.

Mercy frequently gets PotG if they resurrect numerous people at once.

Deleted
    From what I've seen, supports get MAD respect for being the beating heart of your team. Theres nearly always support-based vote cards at the end of a match and I will more times than not default to upvoting the healers who allowed me to do my job as a primarily tank player.

Running ANYTHING but Roadhog and trying to maintain a frontline without heals is a terribly risky proposition after all.

If I see a healer card pop up at the end, I tend to always vote for them.