Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Space Colonization Thread

I'm very interested in understanding how we should colonize the galaxy. So here are a few questions that I'll put out there so we can think about them thoroughly, because I've yet to see a lot of discussion on these.

Do we let individuals countries colonize different areas of a planet?

What plants (to both produce oxygen and provide food) and animals do we bring to Mars/Venus?

How much sovereignty should Venusians, Lunars, Martians or Titans (the moon Titan) have?

Want to get this discussion going...

Forget Venus. Surface temperature is entirely too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    NASA has the idea of floating domed cities in Venus' atmosphere.

15+ Year Old Account
    The atmosphere isn't.

Anyways, knew it was going to be Atethecat's daydreaming "discussion" thread before opening it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    We would need to bring tools with us, to create enclosures out of the local materials. Stone makes for an amazingly sound structure, and can provide insulation from both heat and warmth. From within these enclosures, we would need to create an artificial habitat for our plant life.

Beyond tools, we would need materials to seal these enclosures to protect us from the dangers of the lack of atmosphere on a place like Mars. And also we would need some way to generate power enough to have temperature control and humidity control.

All in all, it would be artificial green houses in tightly sealed enclosures.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    That and the whole sulfuric acid rain and metal snow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the way this works is whoever gets there first and is able to defend it gets the land in question.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever gets their first will form their own nation with their own laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Well first have organisations like NASA be in charge of the colonies and then grant them autonomy once civilians have settled properly.

To be honest our solar system isn't great for colonisation, better to use other planets as a sort of 'jump pad' (build space stations on distant planets and leap frog from one to another) to get deeper and deeper into space until we find a planet worthy of colonisation.

Peas for Terraforming Mars highly nutritional. Easy to grow already shown to grow in Martian soil.

I guess whoever is there would have sovereignty.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-05-26 at 04:28 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think the way this works is whoever gets there first and is able to defend it gets the land in question.
    So China, Russia and Murica?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    NASA has the idea of floating domed cities in Venus' atmosphere.
    Which could then extract the CO2 from Venus' atmosphere over time to cool it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    So China, Russia and Murica?
    Probably at first, and maybe the ESA. But I imagine once infrastructure on Mars is good enough, a lot of the colonies on Mars will opt for self-determination.

Probably at first, and maybe the ESA. But I imagine once infrastructure on Mars is good enough, a lot of the colonies on Mars will opt for self-determination.
    ESA and NASA will do ages before China and Russia do.

Russia could never afford to do it. China isn't remotely close to having the technology.

Really the Space Hype Machine was one of the more obnoxious parts of the mid 2000s Chinese Hype Monstrosity. Accomplishing so little, and yet given such a break for the challenges they faced ahead. And here we are, midway through 2016. A decade ago their Lunar landing was about a year and a half away.

Space is hard. People forget that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    ESA and NASA will do ages before China and Russia do.

Russia could never afford to do it. China isn't remotely close to having the technology.

Really the Space Hype Machine was one of the more obnoxious parts of the mid 2000s Chinese Hype Monstrosity. Accomplishing so little, and yet given such a break for the challenges they faced ahead. And here we are, midway through 2016. A decade ago their Lunar landing was about a year and a half away.

Space is hard. People forget that.
    Russia is closer to having the tech, and if China wants to pay for Russia's tech, there could always be a JV.

I am for this, yes. Let's get after it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Russia is closer to having the tech, and if China wants to pay for Russia's tech, there could always be a JV.
    Russia is closer. But to do it they'd have to get rid of Soyuz2 and Proton.

I think they'll never do it. Russians don't get rid of things.

Also let's remember something else: in the last 30 years, only the US and ESA have landed on a body with an atmosphere. The US has with Mars about 8 times. The ESA did on Titan. China landed a glorified remote control car on the Moon, the moon being beginner mode for landing (low gravity, no atmosphere, nearby, inexpensive). If memory serves the last time Russia landed on anything was Venus, briefly in the 1970s, and some Mars landings back then?

I don't think you should look at space colonization in terms of how the world is now. If there is going to be any serious colonization ( not just a research station for a few scientists ) it probably won't be done by individual countries.

Before we have the technology to effectively move across the emptiness of space (FTL, warp, whatever), establish long-term habitation in inhospitable places (Mars, Europa), hellholes like Venus or Titan or even terraform, we'll probably unify the planet in some way. Whether it's country blocs (think advanced EU) or some world government.

At that point governments and/or colonizing organisations will probably deal with each other / give mandates about where to go, what to build and who does it. Corporations will probably also get the green light to extract minerals (or things like water in the case of terraforming) from rocky planets and asteroids.

If you're just building some outpost on a distant moon you'll probably want some sore of oxygen recycler/generator. It depends on the location really (Europa has oxygen, dunno if it's breathable or usable in any way though). If your going for large scale habitation or terraforming the introduction of flora and fauna is probably a must.

Sovereignty will probably be determined by the kind of colonisation, distance and head count. Some research outpost on mars will be controlled by their benefactors on earth, as will any kind of colonisation at it's start anyways. But some space city on Europa with a couple of million people will probably demand some sort of autonomy.
    Last edited by Cradyz; 2016-05-26 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Do we let individuals countries colonize different areas of a planet?
    Nations are an archaic entity that will likely dissolve in the next century or so.

Whoever lands on a body will stake some claim to what they can comfortably use - and to prevent a competition of resources others will be encouraged to land at other locations.

It won't be a scenario where the US puts a dude on Mars, and then claims all of Mars as property of the US.

It might be easiest if we hand ownership of Space to the UN, and then develop a common law of space exploitation. That would let us skip the entire sovereignty debate.

What plants (to both produce oxygen and provide food) and animals do we bring to Mars/Venus?
    Mars might actually be quite easy to grow on - about a dozen crops have been grown in Mars-equivalent soil given sufficient water and care - and the yields are actually comparable to Earth soil. It will have to be greenhoused though obviously - as will everything on Venus.

I'm not sure any animal would be practical until we can terraform.

How much sovereignty should Venusians, Lunars, Martians or Titans (the moon Titan) have?
    Discussed above. They would likely have total sovereignty over themselves.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    That and the whole sulfuric acid rain and metal snow.
    Yeh f Venus. maybe put some permanent stations in orbit for research and observation. The planet would require centuries of terraforming to make it habitable. It is literally the closest place to hell in the system.