Deleted

Replacing the gfx card in an old pc

I have a spare a seven ish year old spare PC for friends family to use when visiting. It plays wow surprisingly well but the 5850 gfx card it has is just making too much noise so I want to replace it.

Could anyone suggest a suitable replacement that will definitely fit and be no worse performance wise for little cash?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Its a i750 not over locked but running a little warm

Maybe a 750 Ti, which is about twice as good as your current card.

Deleted
    Cheers very much

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

Maybe a 750 Ti, which is about twice as good as your current card.
    For about $20 or so more than the 750ti you can get a 950. The 950 OCs quite well and can get near-960 performance. Much better value.

Deleted
    Hey again. Well that PC is dead but not the noisy gfx card. I will replace that pc with my current one and I'll just have to buy myself a sparkly new one.

So a couple of questions...I'm thinking 6600k over clocked a bit on air cooling non m2 ssd 64gb ram for ramdisking.

Gfx card choice is an issue. 1080fe seems expensive. 480 not reviewed yet. Could I make do with onboard graphics for a month or two? Do I risk using my noisy old 5850 until I choose? If I buy without a gfx card now what size PSU should I go for bearing mind some CPU oc and pobbily up to 1080 levels of power draw?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Hey again. Well that PC is dead but not the noisy gfx card. I will replace that pc with my current one and I'll just have to buy myself a sparkly new one.

So a couple of questions...I'm thinking 6600k over clocked a bit on air cooling non m2 ssd 64gb ram for ramdisking.

Gfx card choice is an issue. 1080fe seems expensive. 480 not reviewed yet. Could I make do with onboard graphics for a month or two? Do I risk using my noisy old 5850 until I choose? If I buy without a gfx card now what size PSU should I go for bearing mind some CPU oc and pobbily up to 1080 levels of power draw?
    How about you supply us with what the sticky shows (CBA to tab and copy/paste right now) and we'll help you out as much as possible.

Please also include specs (in detail) of the old rig.

I'm assuming it's going to be a "Re-use as much as possible for as cheap as possible" type of build.

Deleted
    Hey ta for the quick rely.

I'll make a new thread with the info from sticky. It will be a not using any old bits except possibly a 5850 as a stop gap until I can decide between 1070 and 480 gfx cards.