Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Rewriting what is known, generally fares for the worst, especially when a fan base is involved.
    And that is exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post
    1) Garona mindcontrol = Not a thing
    2) Khadgar is forever young = no medivh youth sucking
    3) Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    4) Sargeras in medivh = not a thing but he is fel corrupted instead.
    5) Garona killing king Llane at the dark portal while they zerg the orc = just wtf.
    6) durotan on azeroth.
    7) Ogrim = doing nothing
    8) Blackhand killed by lothar somehow.

For #1 & 5, I would like to have seen the mind control angle, keeping with the story of betrayal in lore.

I'm OK with #2. #3 ...meh.

For #4, I think the important thing is to show the fel corruption, though I think they can still bring Sargeras into the equation later...though we may need the magical exposition box from point #3 =)

I don't know if I understand #6. Durotan was on Azeroth in the original lore, constantly challenging Gul'dan. He (and his tribe) was exiled from the horde after they reached Azeroth.

At first I didn't like the changes noted in #7 & #8, but the more I think of it, that was mostly me recoiling at the story change. The more I thought about it, the more I'm OK with the direction to have Orgrim taking on Gul'dan, as Gul'dan became a more prominent figure once the books came out then he was during the War I RTS Game. And that change then allowing Lothar to have a piece of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I would suspect most of the lore nuts are referring to the books, versus just the dialog popups in the 1st RTS game. As a book reader, I prefer the reviewer to at least mention there are differences, or big differences, if even they don't go into detail. Helps me to lower my expectation (regarding the lore), or at least attempt to make a mental reset understanding beforehand that the lore is being altered or retcon'ed.

Otherwise, I would agree, I would like to know about acting/writing/story/pacing/effects, etc, etc. I guess I'm trying to say I don't think it's an either/or, but can contain all of those things.
    I dunno, there was a ton of lore in the manuals and whatnot back then that I was totally engrossed in when I was young. To be fair, though, that was Warcraft II... not Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    2.And what makes you think,that Durotan didn't appear in the Azeroth?In the lore,they walked through the portal with the other clans,though they were exiled shortly afterwards.
    It's confirmed in various places that Durotan and the Frostwolves did not set foot on Azeroth until much later on. I believe two separate official novels say as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    4.Not somehow,but after he challenged the Lothar to Mak'gora.The main difference is that in the lore he was killed by Orgrim,but in current disposition it made sense,since Lothar came after his kings body and Blackhand denied him that chance,by grasping gryphons leg and challenging Lothar to Mak'gora.
    In my opinion, this is a big reason why the movie would upset me. I don't mind lore changes, but Metzen's obsession with mak'goras is going way overboard. Blackhand being a callous puppet leader that was killed by Ogrim to take over the Horde and forge them into the mighty force they were meant to be was really powerful. Having Blackhand suddenly be honorable and accept/challenge a Mak'gora with a human is almost nauseating.

Blackhand was an orcish problem that needed to be dealt with by orcs, and in so doing make Orgrim the powerful leader he was meant to be instead of the dude that took over the Horde after a human won his battle for him. Warcraft didn't have a lot to work with, but these are things that would have been powerful in storytelling and would have made the movie better appreciated for all audiences I think; I don't get this at all.

Still, I've yet to see the movie... so I can't fully judge it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I dunno, there was a ton of lore in the manuals and whatnot back then that I was totally engrossed in when I was young. To be fair, though, that was Warcraft II... not Warcraft.
    That's a good point. I forgot about the manuals. I'd have to dig my "Orcs & Humans" manual out, but I think there was story in it.

The movie was great. That's all I can say before I leave this thread because I can't stand people who don't understand how movie adaptations work.

Deleted
    Ok, fair enough.

I will try to list as many as i can remember.

- Garona mindcontrol = Not a thing
    - Khadgar is forever young = no medivh youth sucking
    - Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    - Sargeras in medivh = not a thing but he is fel corrupted instead.
    - Garona killing king Llane at the dark portal while they zerg the orc = just wtf.
    - durotan on azeroth.
    - Ogrim = doing nothing
    - Blackhand killed by lothar somehow.

There is more, i just cant think of them as of this moment
    This is what I dont understand, most of the lore changes make sense.

- If garona was mind controlled to kill Llane it would be super confusing to the people that dont understand the story and this was a welcome change.
    - Khadgar aging at the end would have been okay but it would mean literally nothing.
    - Aldoi = You mean Alodi, the first guardian of tirisfal, some lore nerd. was changed from male to female and the entire scene was a tad obscure for my liking.
    - The randomness of the 'demon' that we know is the avatar of sargeras annoyed me. I wish they removed Lothars sons scenes and added some KJ/mannoroth at the start so that this scene made a little bit more sense.
    - Durotan was one of the best things about the movie so if you're annoyed by that 'lore' change then I just cant even anymore.

Deleted
    7/10 Dialog needed a little something, very entertaining, could use a little more humour, came out a heck of a lot happier than I did at Superman vs batman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    7/10 Dialog needed a little something, very entertaining, could use a little more humour, came out a heck of a lot happier than I did at Superman vs batman.
    Agreed that some parts fell flat although my favourite moment was when Garona explained that khadgar would not survive having sex with her. That was golden.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post

It's confirmed in various places that Durotan and the Frostwolves did not set foot on Azeroth until much later on. I believe two separate official novels say as much.

In my opinion, this is a big reason why the movie would upset me. I don't mind lore changes, but Metzen's obsession with mak'goras is going way overboard. Blackhand being a callous puppet leader that was killed by Ogrim to take over the Horde and forge them into the mighty force they were meant to be was really powerful. Having Blackhand suddenly be honorable and accept/challenge a Mak'gora with a human is almost nauseating.

Blackhand was an orcish problem that needed to be dealt with by orcs, and in so doing make Orgrim the powerful leader he was meant to be instead of the dude that took over the Horde after a human won his battle for him. Warcraft didn't have a lot to work with, but these are things that would have been powerful in storytelling and would have made the movie better appreciated for all audiences I think; I don't get this at all.

Still, I've yet to see the movie... so I can't fully judge it yet.
    There's not much information about it on wowpedia:
    "When Gul'dan initially approached the chieftains with the offer to gain immeasurable power by drinking the blood of Mannoroth, Durotan of the Frostwolves refused. Durotan, who advocated traditional orc society, began to speak out vehemently against the corruption wrought by Gul'dan and the warlocks of the Shadow Council. Because of this, Gul'dan declared the Frostwolves to be outlaws. Fearing for the safety of his clan, Durotan led the Frostwolves through the Dark Portal and eventually settled in the distant Alterac Mountains." I haven't read the Rise of the Horde,so probably you're right.

Yea,theoretically,Mak'gora is a duel,where anybody can challenge the warchief/chieftain for the rule of the Horde/clan,which is not this case,cause the orcs would NEVER allow Lothar to lead,though he defeated the Blackhand,so using the term "duel" would be more appropriate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I watched the movie few nights ago and here are my thoughts:

Lore change had to be done. Duncan Jones said when the first info about it leaked that they have to change the lore since it was one side oriented, and they didn't want that, so things had to be done.

It bothered me at first, but when you look at it, they didn't go too far away. Most of the things that happened in lore are happening in the movie.

And correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that Avatar of Sargeras that emerged out of Medivh?

Many are asking about the the dialogues and acting overall...well,there were some moments that confused me:
    1. Lothar sons gets killed in front of him,yet he can't do a thing about - I think it should've been portrayed a bit more dramatic,not like - "well,he's dead..." and in the next moment to show him drinking in the SW pub.
    2.Same goes to the Lianes death - for me it looked like his wife didn't give a damn,like she was prepared for it and she knew that it will happen. Yet,i'm happy,that they allowed Liane to actually lead his army and fight,not just throw commands while sitting on the throne.

If I would have to give the prize of the best actor, I would give it to Garonas actress - Paula Patton.
    Last edited by Felixon; 2016-05-31 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    Pretty much like "if you did not like the books, you will like the movie" for other franchises. *cough cough Hunger Games and Harry Potter (only ones I could think of off the top of my head) cough cough*
    Marvel movies are going by their own rules and creating their own lore (mostly), nobody gives shit about that. Somehow when others try the same thing, trying to make a cinemaworld differ from the source everyone loses their minds.

Considering just about every other movie, that I know of anyway, based off a book, game, etc. hasn't followed the original material completely, I really didn't expect the Warcraft movie to be any different.

Sometimes it's not done all that well, true, but in this case I think the movie at least stuck to the basic story. The games and their novels can do their thing while the movie, hopefully with more to come, can do its own thing and just try to make it work somehow.

Never possible to please everyone, sadly, and sorry to hear some people found it disappointing. Just glad I enjoyed it but then again I usually weren't one to dislike a couple changes here and there when a movie is made based off something else.

On another pair of notes:

Sad I didn't notice Kilrogg, guess I was too busy eyeing up Grommash and Kargath. So many more easter eggs for me to find! :P

And I really don't think Medivh was JUST fel corrupted... Probably would be more explained in an extended edition but that big demonic bastard looked like an Avatar of Sargeras if I ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    The first Potter movie was true to the book, but then the book was short, and capable of being fitted into a lengthy movie. The 2nd had distinctive changes, such as the urinals moving to reveal the opening into the Chamber of Secrets, not the sink drain expanding into a passage (as described in the book). Sequel books were too long, so shortcuts taken /sigh - I'd rather have a 3-4 hour movie honestly than a chopped one.

In this case, I believe the OP is saying the lore was modified, which is more drastic than a few details, or omissions from the original. Rewriting what is known, generally fares for the worst, especially when a fan base is involved.

I re-read and re-watched them recently.

The first one was almost 100% accurate, second one also (aside from a few minor things like you mentioned) and then the third one was pretty accurate too. IMO, the fourth one is where it really started deviating from the books noticeably.

Deleted
    I saw it yesterday.

Well, some things were a bit off for sure, and i didnt really like the playing of Mr Fimmel. Villages are burned, legions of human soldiers killed but he is giggling, flirting, smiling, and being awful sloppy sometimes EVEN WHEN THIS THINGS HAPPEN IN 10 YARD AWAY FROM HIM! .... well that could be the scripts failure too...

And what really made me mad... 1 grunt for 2 footmen for gods sake... Let the puny humans have a fighting chance other than Action Hero Lothar!

But in the end i can only say, that tho i could criticize 1000 different things in it, being a warcraft fan, i enjoyed all the way, and when it ended i was like: ooowww, so soon? i could watch the next 2 sequel right now!!

Ok, fair enough.

I will try to list as many as i can remember.

- Garona mindcontrol = Not a thing
    - Khadgar is forever young = no medivh youth sucking
    - Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    - Sargeras in medivh = not a thing but he is fel corrupted instead.
    - Garona killing king Llane at the dark portal while they zerg the orc = just wtf.
    - durotan on azeroth.
    - Ogrim = doing nothing
    - Blackhand killed by lothar somehow.

There is more, i just cant think of them as of this moment
    Well, it's an alternate storyline. So, you can expect there to be some changes. I do not care if there are lore changes, if the story flows foward and the characters progress...then I am proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Marvel movies are going by their own rules and creating their own lore (mostly), nobody gives shit about that.
    I do. Do not speak for everyone, because you are just a minority.

Ok, I watched the movie yesterday and was throughly enjoying the beginning but as the story developed it got more and more clear that they were not following the lore what so ever, and as a lore buff this annoyed me more than it prolly should have.

But other than that everything looked great the orcs especially, the CGI eyes was abit wierd but hey they made it work in the story.

So if you dont really care about the lore and just want to see some of the known warcraft characters doing some awesome stuff, this movie is deff for you.

Also i listened to alot of the people going out of the cinema, and i didnt hear a single negative comment, i dont figure most of them being hardcore wow/warcraft players.

TLR.

Doesnt follow lore, if you dont care about lore you are gonna enjoy the movie.
    Its a move adaptation dude, it was always gonna be changed to fit the movie medium hence “adaptation”...

Look at game of thrones book to TV, doesn’t mean one is better than the other!

I loved the movie it was very true to the lore... oh no dalaran is already flying (coz its awesome)... oh no kadghar didn’t get aged (changing actors is lame)

also how do you know sargaras isnt behind medivhs fell corruption? like they would just drop that bombshell this early on... people didnt need to know that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Did you watch the same movie?

Grommash was there preety much all the time, standing by next to the chiefs and in the end he was also the 1st one to cheer at Garona. During the confrontation at Blackrock Mountain we even seen him fight for a bit and then grind his teeth at Callan, just before Blackhand came in and killed the little dude.
    Kargath was shown towards the end.
    Kilrogg... well that one i missed too.

From someone who claims to be a lore-buff i would expect this to look like:
    - Alodi being a female
    To be fair we dont really know what she(it) was so it could in theory be none sex like a naaru
    but correct it was portrayed by Glenn close which is a female actor so i see your point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    For #1 & 5, I would like to have seen the mind control angle, keeping with the story of betrayal in lore.

I'm OK with #2. #3 ...meh.

For #4, I think the important thing is to show the fel corruption, though I think they can still bring Sargeras into the equation later...though we may need the magical exposition box from point #3 =)

I don't know if I understand #6. Durotan was on Azeroth in the original lore, constantly challenging Gul'dan. He (and his tribe) was exiled from the horde after they reached Azeroth.

At first I didn't like the changes noted in #7 & #8, but the more I think of it, that was mostly me recoiling at the story change. The more I thought about it, the more I'm OK with the direction to have Orgrim taking on Gul'dan, as Gul'dan became a more prominent figure once the books came out then he was during the War I RTS Game. And that change then allowing Lothar to have a piece of the action.
    Yea fair enough, i wrote this without fact checking. but point taken

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do. Do not speak for everyone, because you are just a minority.
    Chill, I don't like them either. Point still remains however.