Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I feel like this staggered release was done to hide poor opening weekend performance. I can't think of any other reason to have a half dozen different premier dates in various countries over a three week period.
    As Tyrven said, bad films don't promote themselves anywhere near as much as the WC movie did and bad films also release everywhere at once so word doesn't get out that it's really bad (which discourages future film-viewers). Your logic makes no sense.

Deleted
    Just got home from seeing it. As a warcraft fan i REALLY liked the movie, they really nailed the warcraft feel. There are some extremely cringeworthy scenes between Garona and Lothar but overall i fucking liked it.

There are some lore changes they made, most of 'em are really small but some they did botherd me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Actually, really good films tend to be the ones that release everywhere at once so they can have a shot at records. Bad films tend to kind of trickle into various markets as they can get them there. Hell, look at Fantastic Four. They released it in early August and by October it finally got to Japan. Most markets in about a 2 week period... Sound familiar?
    A lot of good movies, even ones that will break records do stagger releases. Marvel staggers all of their movie over a month over different markets. Hearing there is a major soccer function starting in two weeks I would assume they don't want to release in Europe over that.

I understand a lot of people want to see this movie fail but please note worldwide releases are not as common as you think.
    Last edited by akris15; 2016-05-27 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Let's look at their most recent release(ignore the premieres as they don't count) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3498820/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt. Open in all markets within 2 weeks. Apr 27th to May 6th.
    I do consider premiers releases because of the promotions and other general buzz related to them. You don't stagger based on if a movie is bad or not. You based releases on competition in the area of other events or movies, localization issues (does the film need extra edits because to violent/doesn't meet standards), dubbing/subtitle distribution, ect.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Staggered releases are due to a number of factors. Press tours, local holidays, distribution rights, competition in the film market and localization all play a large part. To say that a movie has a staggered release simply because it is bad is ignorant, as it is often the other way around. See for example Batman v Superman. The other way around is no more correct though. There is simply no causation between a movie's quality and the release schedule.

A thing to also keep in mind in regards to the box office numbers, the United States are by far the largest film market when it comes to openings as far as any single country goes. Saying 30 million dollars is bad in comparison to blockbusters with 50 million dollar openings in the US is not a good measurement of a film's success. Take for example Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Arguably the biggest film of last year. It opened to a staggering 190.8 million dollars in the US and "only" 129.5 million dollars internationally. That's not even including the 57 million dollars it earned from the previews in the US.

The movie will obviously not be a smash hit, and really don't think anyone expected it to be. Not even Blizzard. They obviously want to make money, but the movie also serves as marketing for the game, and especially for Legion. I think they included that in their financial decision to make the movie.
    Last edited by OnlineSamantha; 2016-05-27 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Not looking too good, given the $160M budget. We'll have to see how well it does in the US. Not covering your budget in the opening weekend isn't good news, so other markets will have to perform above projections to make this one a financial success.

Edit: Nevermind, "internationally" only meant a handful of countries, with China and others still to go. I imagine it'll do just fine.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2016-05-27 at 09:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Not looking too good, given the $160M budget. We'll have to see how well it does in the US. Not covering your budget in the opening weekend isn't good news, so other markets will have to perform above projections to make this one a financial success.
    Not the brightest outlook, surely, but China is the real heavy hitter.

DVD's and such are sure to follow, as well.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    That would only made sense for a movie releasing simultaneously worldwide

Anyway, were you seriously expecting a record-breaking movie? Because you would be delousional...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Staggered release are due to a number of factors. Press tours, local holidays, distribution rights, competition in the film market and localization all play a large part. To say that a movie has a staggered release because it is bad is ignorant, as it is often the other way around. See for example Batman v Superman.
    No one has said that.

I simply mentioned poor opening weekend performance. And the other guy who agreed with me simply mentioned "good movies" in general in response to another person who, like you, put words in my mouth and argued against me supposedly calling the movie bad.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No one has said that.

I simply mentioned poor opening weekend performance. And the other guy who agreed with me simply mentioned "good movies" in general in response to another person who, like you, put words in my mouth and argued against me supposedly calling the movie bad.
    I did not mean you specifically, and I'm sorry if I offended. I meant in general, because I felt that was the direction the discussion was heading. I will update my post to reflect this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Deleted
    I know I'm very critical and picky and for this movie I avoided all trailers and any spoilers and with basic lore knowledge I say this movie was really good, especially after I saw very low ratings (did not read what they said about it, only checked rating number).
    My friend never played any warcraft game and doesn't know any lore and for him it was average movie, nothing breath taking, but he didn't said anything bad about it except one thing which I also think it should be done better, to have some background story of important characters. I felt like some proper introductions was missing at the very beginning, it started too fast, but then it was great.

The movie did well, storytelling was abit rushed but easy to stay on top for wow players. Effects and battlescenes were also great. The spellcasting animations are the best that I've seen in movies so far.
    Last edited by Kruschpak; 2016-05-29 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was poised for 20m this weekend, then 30m, now its sitting at 31.6 and the weekend isn't over. I mean originally the projections for opening weekend in the first markets was what barely 10million?

Now since Warcraft is a success in Europe, reviews and sites are saying the United States will show a dismal opening weekend of 20-25million. Citing that The Conjuring 2(never heard of it) and Now you see me 2 will beat it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    It was poised for 20m this weekend, then 30m, now its sitting at 31.6 and the weekend isn't over. I mean originally the projections for opening weekend in the first markets was what barely 10million?

Now since Warcraft is a success in Europe, reviews and sites are saying the United States will show a dismal opening weekend of 20-25million. Citing that The Conjuring 2(never heard of it) and Now you see me 2 will beat it out.
    Conjuring 1 was a small budget film hit back in the day. Now you can see me 1 did alright but they lost their female star Isla Fisher because she is on maternal leave.

It is all relative. The Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles are a serious commercial threat I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post

It is difficult to make sense of this because of the weird collection of countries where it opened. Do they have disproportionate wc/fantasy addicts? Did the film open in those countries for that reason? I have no idea, but it is plausible. What would a good haul from this unusual combination of nations constitute? Probably no film has opened in exactly those countries with that scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It is difficult to make sense of this because of the weird collection of countries where it opened. Do they have disproportionate wc/fantasy addicts? Did the film open in those countries for that reason? I have no idea, but it is plausible. What would a good haul from this unusual combination of nations constitute? Probably no film has opened in exactly those countries with that scheduling.
    they opened early in Europe because of the Euro Soccer(futball) tournament, people will going to watch a 1 month long sports tournament that is popular there.

From June to July