Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If it takes a long time for your card to process odds are the store is harassing you so that you don't return. They can control how long it takes to process a card.
    The reason it takes longer to process a chip card is because the chip card will verify your PIN (but doesn't have the computing power to do so) before broadcasting the transaction. So the PIN pad has to talk back and forth with the chip for a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    No. It's easy, you put card in, you put in pin, you take card out. Why is this hard?

Also chip technology is like 15 years old, we've moved past that and are onto "touch" pads now.

yeah is it only just becoming a thing in USA or something? the rest of the world has already moved on!
    when i worked in retail we were told if the card has a chip, we are not allowed to swipe it.

everywhere uses contactless now, though i think it has a £30 limit or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curdi View Post
    I pretty much never leave the house but when I do it's to go to the store, and each time I go I must Google which way to put the card in the reader to avoid public embarrassment.
    how do you even dress yourself in the morning if you cant work out/remember which way to put a card into a machine???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post

how do you even dress yourself in the morning if you cant work out/remember which way to put a card into a machine???
    I only wear underwear and shorts. Also I'm talking like once every 2-3 months, I have better things to remember.
    Last edited by mmocaa8b08b6ba; 2016-05-28 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomislav View Post
    I like the chip - sure it takes a little bit longer, but you get improved security for the transaction.
    It's far less secure in several ways. The biggest one... if you steal my card, you can now use it without having to know my pin or show ID (which is what I have on the back instead of a sig). That's my biggest complaint. Then there's the whole RFID readers where you can "steal" someone's card without even touch them or their card.

I had no idea that the US didn't do chips in credit cards until now. That's fascinating. It explains a lot about why Apple Pay is way less of a thing in my country than the US, too - on top of chips, we have RFID-based tap payment systems build into cards, so Apple Pay is just a weird third-party intermediary to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    And you can go to your card providers website, log in, and check your transactions any time and pretty much immediately freeze your account if there's any unusual activity and pretty much every card provider throws in zero fraud liability these days to keep people from losing faith in their services.

People are overly paranoid about card security. Not to mention even if somebody does locally clone your credit card there's no better way to get your stupid ass arrested than leaving a gigantic paper trail like that.
    I'm far more concerned about forgetting my wallet. Because it no longer requires a pin or ID to use a card, if you forget your wallet somewhere, or someone pulls the card from it while you're at the beach or a pool, they can wrack up quite a bit of debt. Given that many of these cards are also tied to your personal bank account, you can get totally screwed over while trying to get the companies to get it sorted out. To me, they are far less secure in the realistic sense of the word than they used to be.

I'm more annoyed that the place I work isn't using it yet. Just about every customer coming through recently is asking if they have to swipe or use the chip thing. It's extra annoying because we have a chip thing, but apparently haven't turned it "on" yet, or whatever. I guess it's just for decoration *shrugs*.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    It's far less secure in several ways. The biggest one... if you steal my card, you can now use it without having to know my pin or show ID (which is what I have on the back instead of a sig). That's my biggest complaint. Then there's the whole RFID readers where you can "steal" someone's card without even touch them or their card.
    You still have to put in your pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

I'm far more concerned about forgetting my wallet. Because it no longer requires a pin or ID to use a card, if you forget your wallet somewhere, or someone pulls the card from it while you're at the beach or a pool, they can wrack up quite a bit of debt. Given that many of these cards are also tied to your personal bank account, you can get totally screwed over while trying to get the companies to get it sorted out. To me, they are far less secure in the realistic sense of the word than they used to be.
    I know of no such credit card also tied to my personal bank account.

The tap feature on my bank card has like a 50 dollar maximum transaction and forces a PIN entry every 3rd transaction. And even still, the tap feature only gives access to the chequeing account.

And again, my credit cards all have zero fraud liability. And I don't have automatic payments set up. So that's not a major concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Chip CC/Debit cards are only recently being widely accepted in the US. The technology is somewhat old, yes. But not all US banks and retailers agreed till relatively recently on the system.

It take longer to checkout using a chip vs. the older swipe method in the US.

@OP, I use my phone where possible. It's the fastest checkout method thus far.
    I don't think they agreed to anything. I believe it was government mandated to HURRY THE FUCK UP.

Eh, it doesn't take _that_ long. Swiping the card is quicker, but when I have to insert a card for the chip reader, it only takes...maybe 4-5 seconds.

The grocery store here only recently got new equipment, and the chip readers still don't work, so I still just swipe my card there.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Beats having your card cloned by a magnetic stripe reader ...

Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I know of no such credit card also tied to my personal bank account.

The tap feature on my bank card has like a 50 dollar maximum transaction and forces a PIN entry every 3rd transaction. And even still, the tap feature only gives access to the chequeing account.

And again, my credit cards all have zero fraud liability. And I don't have automatic payments set up. So that's not a major concern.
    Must be a US thing. Bank debit cards work as credit cards down here. It's actually what most people I know use as credit cards as it just drafts from your bank account (no debt, just ease of use). I've bought several thousand dollar computers on it at Best Buy. While it has a maximum daily withdrawal of cash from an ATM, those limits don't exist when using it for purchases. And it NEVER asks for a PIN when used as a credit card. While it does have fraud coverage, the problem is that if someone drains you down to $50 and your mortgage and other bills try and go through... you're credit is screwed. And on top of that, it's a massive headache as things start to bounce left and right while you get the various companies to fix the charges and resubmit automated billing, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    I'm more annoyed that the place I work isn't using it yet. Just about every customer coming through recently is asking if they have to swipe or use the chip thing. It's extra annoying because we have a chip thing, but apparently haven't turned it "on" yet, or whatever. I guess it's just for decoration *shrugs*.

You still have to put in your pin.
    I've never had to put in my PIN when using it on a chip reader. Ever. Maybe you're not in the US? Or maybe it differs by region. But where I am, that never happens.

Must be a US thing. Bank debit cards work as credit cards down here. It's actually what most people I know use as credit cards as it just drafts from your bank account (no debt, just ease of use). I've bought several thousand dollar computers on it at Best Buy. While it has a maximum daily withdrawal of cash from an ATM, those limits don't exist when using it for purchases. And it NEVER asks for a PIN when used as a credit card. While it does have fraud coverage, the problem is that if someone drains you down to $50 and your mortgage and other bills try and go through... you're credit is screwed. And on top of that, it's a massive headache as things start to bounce left and right while you get the various companies to fix the charges and resubmit automated billing, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never had to put in my PIN when using it on a chip reader. Ever. Maybe you're not in the US? Or maybe it differs by region. But where I am, that never happens.
    I'm in Canada

but you should at any bank basically be able to request them to set all kinds of daily limits.

Welcome to the 21st century, America. Hope you survive the experience.

Lol, last I checked California is still in the US. But every time I used the chip reader, I had to put in my pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Standing there for a few more seconds but gaining a lot more security? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Never had to use a PIN for it, but only my MasterCard / Discover Card have them. My Visa - which is my debit card - doesn't have that yet. I get a new one later this year from my bank.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    No. It's easy, you put card in, you put in pin, you take card out. Why is this hard?

Also chip technology is like 15 years old, we've moved past that and are onto "touch" pads now.

Because they need to keep it in the machine 3-4 times longer than if I just swipe it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Because they need to keep it in the machine 3-4 times longer than if I just swipe it.
    Suck it up. Banks want to cut their losses due to fraud. Magnetic stripes are too easy to clone.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Are those chip readers a new thing in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Suck it up. Banks want to cut their losses due to fraud. Magnetic stripes are too easy to clone.

Little bit of research shows the chips aren't that hard to clone/bypass either.

http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.c...t-credit-card/
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/personal-f...tml/?a=viewall
    http://sec.cs.ucl.ac.uk/users/smurdo...hipandskim.pdf