Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Hate speech is a stupid concept to make laws about, you should be able to say what you want to without hate speech laws
    I agree in concept, but the lowest common denominator of people needs to be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, there's a sizeable chunk of people who think it's OK to incite violence on others because someone else told them they were bad or immoral people.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I think there's a difference between judging and hate speech, an extremely large one.
    Hate speech is judgment.

I'm a gay male. Does the Westboro Church preaching their version of a gospel really affect me to the point where I need them to be shut up? Nope, so long as it doesn't affect official policy; at that point, it's more than hate speech though.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree in concept, but the lowest common denominator of people needs to be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, there's a sizeable chunk of people who think it's OK to incite violence on others because someone else told them they were bad or immoral people.
    You understand inciting violence and hate speech are seperate categories, right?

One is physical, the other is emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Hate speech is judgment.
    But judgement isn't, necessarily, hate speech.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

But judgement isn't, necessarily, hate speech.
    Not the strictly defined hate speech that a lot of people want to silence, no. But it is a form of forcing one's opinion on another.

"Ew those shoes are tacky."
    "I can't believe you let your kids do that!"
    "Being gay is a sin!"

All opinions.

I'm fine as hell to let any of those slide off my back. Except the kids thing, I guess?...I don't have any.
    Last edited by Anastacy; 2016-05-28 at 11:45 PM.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    It may just be me but it seems the "social contract" that society abides by today has taken some very scary changes over the last decade or 2. By "social contract" I am referring to the way we interact with each other, such as being polite or the way we judge others as examples.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy1018 View Post
    It may just be me but it seems the "social contract" that society abides by today has taken some very scary changes over the last decade or 2. By "social contract" I am referring to the way we interact with each other, such as being polite or the way we judge others as examples.
    The "social contract" is explicitly about the relationship between individual rights and state authority, it is not about being polite with each other.

If it makes you feel any better, I judge you for making this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You understand inciting violence and hate speech are seperate categories, right?

One is physical, the other is emotional.
    But hate speech is generally illegal on the basis that it may incite violence. It's just that it's less explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    are you serious?
    people nowadays judge everyone and everything.
    I think by 'judge', what the OP is actually going for is 'Openly express hate and ridicule until it goes away', since normal sane people judgments happen every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    People judge each other and things like, 100% of the time. Everything is a matter of value attribution in so far we (humans) have any control (unlikely) of our actions.

Choosing to go to the movies with Susanna instead of Emily is an assignment of value. You have to judge one thing higher or differently than another to assign and act on value.
    Are you sure you're not a robot? Lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But hate speech is generally illegal on the basis that it may incite violence. It's just that it's less explicit.
    Non-violent hate speech shouldn't be illegal and the US is good in this area. Where as there are certain places in Europe that jail people merely for tweeting something racist in general.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-29 at 12:54 AM.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    The "social contract" is explicitly about the relationship between individual rights and state authority, it is not about being polite with each other.
    There is also another part of "social contract" that you seemed to have overlooked and I pointed out in my original post. While, lets just call it SC for short, does mainly deal with individual rights and state authority it also can mean 'morality consists in the set of rules governing behavior, that rational people would accept, on the condition that others accept them as well' this is the aspect of the SC that I was referring to. It seems in the last decade or 2 what people are willing to accept as the rules governing social interaction with each other seems to have taken a rather radical shift in quite a few places, thus making a new dynamic when people are dealing with each other.

Are these discussion threads or just OP vents and we're supposed to make something of it?

Non-violent hate speech shouldn't be illegal and the US is good in this area. Where as there are certain places in Europe that jail people merely for tweeting something racist in general.
    Thank god you can enjoy hate speech huh?

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank god you can enjoy hate speech huh?
    Nah, thank god we can live in a non-authoritarian place that doesn't outlaw hurt feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between having an opinion on someone's actions, and judging them for them. Having an opinion is just that, having an opinion; judging is believing that you are better than them in something, and berating them for that.

Ultimately, we are all severely flawed, we all have our weaknesses, our biases, our stupidities. I don't see the point of judging someone, even yourself, in this context; I do see the point of genuinely trying to help someone though, by giving them advice following which, in your opinion, can improve their life - without berating them and judging them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    I say what I think, regardless of who I'm talking to. "Feelings" are irrelevant. /shrug

Nah, thank god we can live in a non-authoritarian place that doesn't outlaw hurt feelings.
    Hehe.

I actually don't agree with most hate speech laws.

It hasn't escaped my attention how keen certain people are to protect hate speech though, for obvious reasons.

7+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't escaped my attention how keen certain people are to protect hate speech though, for obvious reasons.
    We should protect hate speech though. If someone tweets "I hate white males" they shouldn't have to go to jail just for being offensive toward a group. Having a conversation about why would be much more useful.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-29 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should protect hate speech though. If someone tweets "I hate white males!" they shouldn't have to go to jail just for being offensive toward a group. Having a conversation about why would be much more useful.
    "I hate white males" doesn't even look like hate speech to me (despite the word "hate"). Something like, "White males are trash", though - yes, this is closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.