Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If he's got that much money he should save for another year and get the 1080Ti instead.
    I think the point is more that I don't have that much money, lol.
    But yeah, damn, a 1080Ti would be nice. Total overkill, but nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    If you're not going above 1080p I don't see why you'd upgrade.
    Well a good example is actually Witcher 3. Since I started the thread, I watched a few vids on YouTube testing W3 on a GTX980 with hairworks disabled. Interior scenes are high 70's, but outside it dips to low 50's, high 40's.
    1080p resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If he's got that much money he should save for another year and get the 1080Ti instead.
    Or just wait in general and not worry too much. Unlike me with my 780.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    I watched a few videos and yeah most seem to hover 50-70 with a few of the videos having overclocked 980s. I would still recommend waiting.

I mean unless you're able to sell the 980 for a good chunk of the cost it would take for the upgrade you'd be future proofing yourself some more which also isn't a bad choice. And if you're able to sell the 670 AND 980 you have to completely cover the cost I'd do that.

Do you play games like Witcher 3 and other graphically intensive games often?
    More or less. In my current collection:

- WoW
    - Diablo 3
    - Witcher 3
    - GTA 5
    - Fallout 4
    - Battlefield 4 (soon to be BF1)
    - Assassin's Creed (all of them, really)
    - Overwatch
    - Far Cry 4 & Primal
    - Hitman

Each to varying degrees. (With the bolded ones being heaviest on GPU)
    Last edited by aktorsyl; 2016-05-31 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    Ah no my mistake, as explained later: it's still unused.
    well yeah in that case return it and buy something better, could even just stick with your current card for a little longer and see how the AMD Polaris/Vega cards hold up before you decide, if you're willing to wait.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    well yeah in that case return it and buy something better, could even just stick with your current card for a little longer and see how the AMD Polaris/Vega cards hold up before you decide, if you're willing to wait.
    I checked in the meantime, they won't refund/return, since it's been too long. Can't really blame them, I guess.
    But selling it is always an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    I checked in the meantime, they won't refund/return, since it's been too long. Can't really blame them, I guess.
    Well that kinda sucks... But yeah, can still always Craigslist it or something.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Like I said, 30-day return policy. Highly unlikely they would have taken it back when they are trying to get rid of as many of these as they can currently. If the card was still relevant, they might have taken it back, but the 980 has almost always been trash. 15-20% more performance than a 970 for 50% more. Most people bought 970s or 980tis because the 980 was just a bad choice to begin with.

As for selling it, with the current pricing of the 1070 and now AMDs RX 480, that thing will be very difficult to sell for much more than $250-300. A brand new 1070, which will outperform it handily, can be had for under $400 and AMDs new graphics card will be available at the end of the month for under $250 and will offer 970 like performance in DX11 but be far better in DX12. Why buy a 980 at any price point in between?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce...QAAOSwzchXRZic

Brand new in the box 980ti for under $300. No chance of getting $300 for a 980 at this point. You might be able to sell it for $250, the cost of a 480X, but then what's the point as anything you buy with that money will be less powerful.

As I said from the start, even though people told me I was wrong, just hang on to it and use it. It's not worth selling at this point.

The gtx980 was designed for 1440p gaming, the 970 was designed for 1080p gaming, so yes 980 is more than enough for max setting in all games at 1080p I know it's what I use, well the msi gaming version besides why upgrade to 1070 for for 1080p gaming when these new cards don't even do hardware Async compute so their performance in DX12 is just as bad as the 9's that are being replaced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Like I said, 30-day return policy. Highly unlikely they would have taken it back when they are trying to get rid of as many of these as they can currently. If the card was still relevant, they might have taken it back, but the 980 has almost always been trash. 15-20% more performance than a 970 for 50% more. Most people bought 970s or 980tis because the 980 was just a bad choice to begin with.

As for selling it, with the current pricing of the 1070 and now AMDs RX 480, that thing will be very difficult to sell for much more than $250-300. A brand new 1070, which will outperform it handily, can be had for under $400 and AMDs new graphics card will be available at the end of the month for under $250 and will offer 970 like performance in DX11 but be far better in DX12. Why buy a 980 at any price point in between?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce...QAAOSwzchXRZic

Brand new in the box 980ti for under $300. No chance of getting $300 for a 980 at this point. You might be able to sell it for $250, the cost of a 480X, but then what's the point as anything you buy with that money will be less powerful.

As I said from the start, even though people told me I was wrong, just hang on to it and use it. It's not worth selling at this point.
    At least the one silver lining in all of this, is that I did get that 980 for the price of a 970

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    when these new cards don't even do hardware Async compute so their performance in DX12 is just as bad as the 9's that are being replaced.
    Actually, we dont even know if they do because its still disabled at the driver level.