Thread: Alcoholists OT

Alcoholists OT

I tried this thread way back, basically it ended with self righteous people telling how alcoholism isn't a thing.

Well it is. I am one. A lot of you are so and you know it.

Let us have discussion thread.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    My mom was an alcoholic for 47 years before she died.

i like a beer now and then, but i only get drunk mabye 3-4 times a year. New years eve is one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I tried this thread way back, basically it ended with self righteous people telling how alcoholism isn't a thing.

Well it is. I am one. A lot of you are so and you know it.

Let us have discussion thread.
    I'm not an alcoholic but what do you want to discuss? Fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I'm not an alcoholic but what do you want to discuss? Fire away.
    You can't really discuss it without experiencing it, that's the big problem of anyone saying there's solution.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You can't really discuss it without experiencing it, that's the big problem of anyone saying there's solution.
    There is a solution though, you just have to want to fix it. Addiction is a big problem in my family. Me and my brother bother overcame it (both had rx drug issues). My mother had problems with rx drugs in the past, even tried to steal a doctors script pad once and was arrested. She would constantly deny she had a problem. Now she can't get a hold of the rx drugs as easily and has become an alcoholic because that's what she can obtain.

It is a problem, a big one. But there is a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was getting pretty close last summer. Was drunk probably 5 days out of the week when I wasn't working. Was agitated when I wasn't and felt like I couldn't function in social situations without it. Fortunately my friends noticed and stopped me and helped me kick it by going to the gym hard again. But I still have the issue of not being to hang out in a social situation without drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I was getting pretty close last summer. Was drunk probably 5 days out of the week when I wasn't working. Was agitated when I wasn't and felt like I couldn't function in social situations without it. Fortunately my friends noticed and stopped me and helped me kick it by going to the gym hard again. But I still have the issue of not being to hang out in a social situation without drinking.
    I think this is more of a social anxiety issue than an alcoholism issue. You use the alcohol to cope with the social anxiety. I have the same problem. This is what lead me to the pills. I met people who did them and as long as we were all doing them it was good and I was able to socialize. The problem came when I started doing them on my own and made it a consistent and daily habit. That was when it became an addiction.

So the need to drink for social interaction may drive you to alcoholism, which is what may have been the cause of it last summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    I think this is more of a social anxiety issue than an alcoholism issue. You use the alcohol to cope with the social anxiety. I have the same problem. This is what lead me to the pills. I met people who did them and as long as we were all doing them it was good and I was able to socialize. The problem came when I started doing them on my own and made it a consistent and daily habit. That was when it became an addiction.

So the need to drink for social interaction may drive you to alcoholism, which is what may have been the cause of it last summer.
    Yeah I think you're right and my therapist said the same thing. Problem I have is none of my friends will stop drinking when we get together and I feel odd being left out. But I also have a problem with not drinking in moderation. For me if I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink. Not blackout drunk but drunk nonetheless. Fortunately I limit it to once a week on the weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was for 3 years. Would drink everyday, literally everyday. Got me associated with the wrong crowd and now I'm $20,000 in debt because of a DUI and got into drugs.
    Last edited by Syero; 2016-05-29 at 10:46 PM.

Enjoy your liver disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Yeah I think you're right and my therapist said the same thing. Problem I have is none of my friends will stop drinking when we get together and I feel odd being left out. But I also have a problem with not drinking in moderation. For me if I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink. Not blackout drunk but drunk nonetheless. Fortunately I limit it to once a week on the weekend.
    Understandable feeling. But the fact you can keep it contained to the one day is wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    Enjoy your liver disease.
    This is completely unnecessary. If you had an issue and were reaching out for support how would you feel if this is how people responded to you? Keep your judgement to yourself. Everyone is different and some things are harder for other to control. Support is the only way people will succeed. Not condemnation.

If you feel the need to judge then stay out of this type of post.

There is nothing to discuss here.

99% of the people that are addicted do not admit it.
    Intervention after intervention and they still think they are in the right side of the lane.
    Nothing helps if the person him self doesn't want to help him self.

The problem is most of the addicts are so clueless that until they are on the brink of losing everything they wont realize it.
    Sadly most of the times they die before the reach that place.

I feel for every person that has to deal with addicts in their family it is a burden a very big one especially when you are trying so hard to help some one who just loughs in your face denying it.

There is nothing to discuss, get medical help.

I feel like my Epilepsy in a way have been a Blessing in Disguise as I had to completely stop drinking alcohol. I do miss having a bottle of beer once a while, but at least I have something to compensate and compromise with. *cough* excuse me.