Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is going on in canada?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...unal-1.3461693

I've seen a few of these types of cases where comedians are being dragged into court battles over jokes. Do you not have speech protections up there?

10+ Year Old Account
    While the jokes may have been in bad taste it's not something you should go to court over.

But then again that's the world we live in.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbariangreataxe View Post

I've seen a few of these types of cases where comedians are being dragged into court battles over jokes. Do you not have speech protections up there?
    "It's complicated". The more likeminded people who move there the better.

Some people live in different worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    you can have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say.
    Yea not how freedom works, but thanks for playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you not have speech protections up there?
    Yes, we have freedom of expression.

But attacks and ridicule directed against people who aren't public figures isn't looked upon kindly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stasso View Post
    So "Freedom™" doesn't include things like libel laws?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yes, we have freedom of expression.

But attacks and ridicule directed against people who aren't public figures isn't looked upon kindly.
    You can look unkindly upon it all you want, but if you support government punishment for it, you do not have freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Is that considered comedy nowadays?
    Humor is subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stasso View Post
    sorry, that is how freedom of speech works. you aren't entitled to say whatever you want without any consequences at all. try walking into an airport and making bomb jokes. there are laws.
    Hi

First Amendment is a US thing. Nobody knew what they were doing back then so they just said "Congress shall make no law-- --or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;--" without knowing all the consequences.

That's it, Congress can never make a law restricting your free speech.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If those consequences include a government tribunal punishing you for speech that amounts to nothing more than social/political commentary? You don't have freedom of speech.

This was posted about months ago.

Deleted
    you mean like some of your past posts

sorry, that is how freedom of speech works. you aren't entitled to say whatever you want without any consequences at all. try walking into an airport and making bomb jokes. there are laws.
    I can make as many bomb joke as I want in airports, because I don't live in a hysterical, paranoid society, tendencies which nobody should ever want to emulate... never mind actually, genuinely defend as something positive...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    It means there are no LEGAL consequences for what you say. No one has to listen to you, but no court should be allowed to prosecute you because your jokes are stupid and lack delicacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I expected that answer.
    Ok? Not sure what your point is.

Deleted
    Ok? Not sure what your point is.
    Kangodo is the resident feel-hurter alongside Tennisace.

Canada has hate crimes laws, so there isn't freedom of speech as Americans know it. You're free to say what the government deems is worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Canada has hate crimes laws, so there isn't freedom of speech as Americans know it. You're free to say what the government deems is worthy.
    And I imagine you think the USA doesn't have obscenity laws or libel laws or other such "restrictions on speech"?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    First Amendment is a US thing. Nobody knew what they were doing back then so they just said "Congress shall make no law-- --or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;--" without knowing all the consequences.

That's it, Congress can never make a law restricting your free speech.
    But there are laws which do. Like yelling fire in a building filled with a lot of people when there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And I imagine you think the USA doesn't have obscenity laws or libel laws or other such "restrictions on speech"?
    Comparing a person being prosecuting for libel to a person being prosecuted for bad jokes? No one is for 100% unrestricted speech. But comedians being punished by the government is insane.