Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    Can I start a "Whats' going on in the US" thread?

http://theweek.com/articles/467899/5...-over-material

My favorite though was Trump suing Maher for an orangutan joke:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/showbi...ll-maher-suit/

I'd argue lawsuits are 'Muricas specialty.
    Most of these aren't lawsuits blocking their material though. Its different.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So "It's just a joke brah!" is a free for all card?
    During a stand up act, pretty much yeah.

Deleted
    And they won't. The Human Rights Tribunal does not have that power. They can issue orders to cease a practice and they can levy fines.
    What if you can't afford the fine?

Do you ever see past the here and now?

7+ Year Old Account
    And I imagine you think the USA doesn't have obscenity laws or libel laws or other such "restrictions on speech"?
    Libel only matters if you have provable damage based on a lie. Which is legit, it isn't based on emotions/feelings.

If we have obscenity speech laws I haven't heard of them. Disturbing the peace and hurting people's feelings are two different things. The latter is legal.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-30 at 02:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The US has hate crime laws as well. This wasn't a hate crime.
    Except ours are not about hurt feelings by itself. Most are "penalty enhancements" directly attached to a real physical crime.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Bad jokes are hate crimes!!?!?!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats different, and not really comparable here.
    Hate speech is very well defined in Canada. This is not hate speech.

1. The hate speech must be the most severe of the genre;

2. The hate speech must be targeted to an identifiable group;

3. It must be public;

4. It must be deliberate, not careless;

5. Excluded from hate speech are good faith interpretations of religious doctrine, discussion of issues of public interest, and literary devices like sarcasm and irony;

6. The statements must be hateful when considered in their social and historical context;

7. No prosecution can proceed without approval of the attorney-general, which introduces political accountability because the attorney-general is a cabinet minister.
    Furthermore this would not be considered hate speech, this would be libel, and the prosecutor would only win if he can actually prove that the joke has wrongfully damaged his reputation or career.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine what George Carlin would say to these butthurt babies.

Oh, please, He was a meanie face, and he's not being oppressed, he's just being compelled by threat of physical force to testify before a kangaroo court and faces potential fines that would require him to labour away for the rest of his life for little else than paying them off.

You guys seriously need to look up the definition of oppression. Or are you in league with the meanies...

Adults should have a way of "telling mommy" and somebody to cry to also.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to have my 234ml milk and a cookie and take my nap.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-30 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Hate speech is very well defined in Canada. This is not hate speech.

Furthermore this would not be considered hate speech, this would be libel, and the prosecutor would only win if he can actually prove that the joke has wrongfully damaged his reputation or career.
    I don't know much about Canada, so thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    you can have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say.
    That doesn't say anything about what the consequences should be. They could be someone else's free speech, or they could be censorship. Or they could just be nothing happening and people get a life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Is that considered comedy nowadays?
    I watched the show and it was not that bad actually but not funny joke neither. And I am not a fan of that comic guy. Like everything, you need context to fully grasp a topic.

dont care for the comedian but he should be given immunity regarding what he says in the line of humor because thats his style. Its a very slippery slope we are going down when people get sent into court for saying an off color or dark joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    If those consequences include a government tribunal punishing you for speech that amounts to nothing more than social/political commentary? You don't have freedom of speech.
    That's like saying you don't have freedom of movement when you can't enter someone else's home. You caged animal!

And I imagine you think the USA doesn't have obscenity laws or libel laws or other such "restrictions on speech"?
    Comedy is protected as long as it doesn't incite riots or put someone in immediate danger. If it's not in Canada then you don't have as much freedom of speech. It's really simple to be honest. I wouldn't be butt hurt about it. Your country your rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    That's like saying you don't have freedom of movement when you can't enter someone else's home. You caged animal!
    No, its more akin to not allowing people with a certain shirt color to walk on certain sidewalks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    First Amendment is a US thing. Nobody knew what they were doing back then so they just said "Congress shall make no law-- --or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;--" without knowing all the consequences.

That's it, Congress can never make a law restricting your free speech.
    You know, I never understood this.

From what I know, even in the USA it's forbidden to yell "fire" or "bomb" in a crowded place if it's not true or tell lies about someone that could land them in jail or have them have problems.

My point is, since those things are forbidden, doesn't it mean that the free speech is not as free actually and in the US speech is simply more free than in other places, but still not full free speech?

I know that the most obvious argument is that "well you can say whatever but you're not protected by the consequences". Ok... but that is also true for North Korea. One can say whatever there, but if you insult the glorious leader you're sent to the internment camp... doesn't mean you can't say it. Yes, speech is more free in the USA than in North Korea, this goes without saying, but there is never full free speech anywhere, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    You know, I never understood this.

From what I know, even in the USA it's forbidden to yell "fire" or "bomb" in a crowded place if it's not true or tell lies about someone that could land them in jail or have them have problems.

My point is, since those things are forbidden, doesn't it mean that the free speech is not as free actually and in the US speech is simply more free than in other places, but still not full free speech?

I know that the most obvious argument is that "well you can say whatever but you're not protected by the consequences". Ok... but that is also true for North Korea. One can say whatever there, but if you insult the glorious leader you're sent to the internment camp... doesn't mean you can't say it. Yes, speech is more free in the USA than in North Korea, this goes without saying, but there is never full free speech anywhere, is there?
    I think that inciting violence or a public panic is different than free speech. While a comic making fun of a person with down syndrome is terrible, its not necessarily the same thing as yelling bomb and inciting a panic from fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    Can I start a "Whats' going on in the US" thread?
    Your poor feels getting hurt?

This board is filled to the fucking brim with posts laughing at or questioning the sanity of the U.S.

You can live with the once in a blue moon "WTF Canada?!" thread. It'll be OK, you'll still have Tennisfail to post 400 "Canada #1!" topics a day to offset it.