What's the point of "team" based multiplayer games, really?

Well let's just say my time with "team" based shooters is over and with a good lesson to boot. Surprised I lasted for four years with League and WoW, and it took Overwatch to convince me it's time to just stop. The lesson is to keep to myself and treat stupid people with nothing but disdain or threaten them. I'm not some low elo shitter in these games either, I am recurring Diamond III in LoL and former 2300+ for a few seasons in WoW. I'm actually amazed I even grinded my efforts into learning so much. They're not indicative of individual skill, they're indicative of how much luck someone can have. You queue, you roll the dice, and hope you don't get idiots if your own skill is actually real enough to compensate. For me it is, but it's not enough most of the time over the luck factor. I actually thought for a long while it DID have some merit.

But you know, I'm not cursing or raging madly just calmly pondering over my wasted time. I signed up to play these sort of games and have no right to complain knowing what you'll get but it's kind of sad...makes me wonder, if the people that rage ever think like I do about the entitlement to complain.

Right now, I'm looking to find some 1v1 PvP game like SC to legitimately satisfy my ego though. But still, I gotta ask what the point of it all was. It never improves either no matter how high you go, as proven by the fact I've played with Diamond 1 players that look like Silver.

Try Brawlhalla there is a ranked 1v1 system if u like the genere.

Only reason why battlefield is the only game i can enjoy. Big matches. many people. Less crap player to player. I do not mind team playing and i am always going for objectives. If i get help from others. Sure. Why not. If not. Then i play it alone.

7+ Year Old Account
    The point of team based games is to... y'know... do things as a team. Work together and kick some tail. Of course they aren't as fulfilling for someone who plays solo.

With that said, there are a ton of solo players out in those games. Even if you start solo, you're much better served in making a friends list out of people that you have good experiences with. Eventually, you can be surrounded by people that are competent and fun to be around at virtually any time you log on.

Still, if you choose to stay away from them, I hope you have a blast in the solo world. There are a ton of great games to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    The point of team based games is to... y'know... do things as a team. Work together and kick some tail. Of course they aren't as fulfilling for someone who plays solo.

With that said, there are a ton of solo players out in those games. Even if you start solo, you're much better served in making a friends list out of people that you have good experiences with. Eventually, you can be surrounded by people that are competent and fun to be around at virtually any time you log on.

Still, if you choose to stay away from them, I hope you have a blast in the solo world. There are a ton of great games to choose from.
    Like what, all I know of is Starcraft.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just for solo play, there are a ton of solid games that aren't competitive in nature on their own. There are literally thousands to choose from. I get the vibe you aren't necessarily looking for that, though.

Most of your truly competitive single-player games will be fighters (Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Tekken, Killer Instinct, etc.), but racing games, sports games, hybrids like Rocket League that have a 1v1 option, head-to-head puzzle games, RTS games, and even something like Dark Souls (where you can invade other people's worlds to fight them) would all count as competitive outlets in a more traditional sense. I wouldn't write off speedruns of any game if you really get your kicks from being competitive, either.

Edit: Hearthstone or other card games would count, as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could always pick up fighting games if you enjoy playing solo but being extremely competitive. Street Fighter, Smash bros etc

overwatch isnt so bad since you can carry, heroes of the storm and mobas you cant really do much if you are grouped with the embodiment of stupid. best thing you can do is have a group of people to play with you can talk on curse or teamspeak

- - - Updated - - -

also while i have not played it in awhile the only game with 1v1 that i know of is blade and soul pvp arenas

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Could always pick up fighting games if you enjoy playing solo but being extremely competitive. Street Fighter, Smash bros etc
    I recommend OP starts a blog instead.

The point is that as you get better, you seek out like minded individuals to team up with, rather than continuing to try your luck in completely random matchmaking.

tanksin: Carry in Overwatch? Wut? The whole problem with that game is it forces "teamwork" via making every one an incomplete cripple on their own instead of incentivizing via a force multiplier so-to-speak.

IE: In Overwatch 1/2 + 1/2 = 1 instead of 1 + 1 = 3.

It greatly suppresses individual contribution and creativity in tactics. Then again, "participation award" gameplay that seeks to average out individual contribution has been their goal across all games for a few years now.

team based games like league needs different point reward system, for example if you had a good scores ( objective,kill/assist , creep score) all of them should be important for getting good LP or loosing less LP.

The same point as with all multiplayer games: a synthesis of cooperative and competitive play. The problem being if you lack the first, the second tends to become harder to enjoy.

To put it another way, you're supposed to be playing these games with friends of some stripe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never liked 1v1 multiplayer games, I've always found them boring. I like team games, so there is a lot of human interaction, teamwork, etc. Yes, some people will be bad and sabotage team's efforts - but in my eyes, it only makes it more fun to try to win anyway, despite them.

You say you need to satisfy your ego, and that is your problem: you connect your ego to the outcome of a video game. Just relax and have fun playing, enjoy the process and accept the result, whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Well let's just say my time with "team" based shooters is over and with a good lesson to boot. Surprised I lasted for four years with League and WoW, and it took Overwatch to convince me it's time to just stop. The lesson is to keep to myself and treat stupid people with nothing but disdain or threaten them. I'm not some low elo shitter in these games either, I am recurring Diamond III in LoL and former 2300+ for a few seasons in WoW. I'm actually amazed I even grinded my efforts into learning so much. They're not indicative of individual skill, they're indicative of how much luck someone can have. You queue, you roll the dice, and hope you don't get idiots if your own skill is actually real enough to compensate. For me it is, but it's not enough most of the time over the luck factor. I actually thought for a long while it DID have some merit.

But you know, I'm not cursing or raging madly just calmly pondering over my wasted time. I signed up to play these sort of games and have no right to complain knowing what you'll get but it's kind of sad...makes me wonder, if the people that rage ever think like I do about the entitlement to complain.

Right now, I'm looking to find some 1v1 PvP game like SC to legitimately satisfy my ego though. But still, I gotta ask what the point of it all was. It never improves either no matter how high you go, as proven by the fact I've played with Diamond 1 players that look like Silver.
    I see team based multiplayer games as designed with the intent that you would have a core team to play with. Queuing up to play with randoms is an option you have for when you do not have your core team available at the moment.

When playing with a core group, it is always more fun, and generally more successful than if you were to play with randoms.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Lets see 1v1 pvp games

I'm assuming you want PC games so I'll just go down with PC vs Console

PC Fighting Games

Killer Instinct
    Meshes well with XBOX ONE version has a MOBA like pay for what you want system pretty decent game with a high skill cap on a plus side its free other than characters only problem is it needs Windows 10 to play on PC

Street Fighter 5
    Shares servers with the PS4 version pretty easy to get into but hard to master...still kinda young though doesn't have a lot of features

Skullgirls
    Indie Fighter..very easy to get into hard to master..community is kinda small but VERY hardcore

Guilty Gear XRD
    EXTREMELY high skillcap fighter...fantastic game with a medium community....very little random elements in this game

Any Sports Game: No seriously take your pick...

Console Games

Mortal Kombat X: Yes its on PC but that version is terrible the console version however is AMAZING and one of the best fighters around..netcode is one to be desired though

Pokken Tournament: High Skillcap the BEST netcode period...but its on the Wii U

Smash Bros: mediocre netcode but a HUGE community and optionally team based!

Pokemon ORAS/X/Y: ..I really don't need to say anymore of this

Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Actually a pretty large PVP community out there and a helluva story..PS4/Vita Exclusive

If satisfying your ego and seeking validation over videogames is a problem; you don't have any real problems.

Lots of people like team based games because most people are casual and bad and will get wrecked 1v1 so instead they'd rather have a team carry them and if they lose its not entirely on them, they have 4-5 other people to blame so they don't feel like shit for losing because they were too slow or too stupid to play properly, which IS the case actually.

Anyway, congrats on realizing the truth; videogames are a waste of time- stop taking them so seriously.