Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)

Should blizzard give us more faction-exclusive quests ?

As the tittle says. Do you guys think blizzard should go back to more vanilla concept, and give us more faction quests rather than just all neutral or mirrored questlines ?

If you played in vanilla (or generally pre-cata) you will know that back then huge amount of quest/questlines were faction specific. From leveling quests in low level zones, to high level dungeons like blackrock or attunements (remember looking for rexxar ?), there was alot of quests that would involve faction NPCs, and give us more insight into races and their themes.

This continued in tbc, where while we saw more neutral quests, we still had alot of faction settlements and quests. And just as we have neutral druids in zangarmarsh, we can also find there darkspear/draenei settlements and questgivers. Another example is nagrand where while some quests share the theme, we still have quests like thralls reunion with geyah.

Even in wotlk, we still had alot of unique quests in areas like boring tundra or howling fiord, giving us nice balance of faction and neutral quests.

And then Cataclysm happens where 3 out of 5 zones are purely neutral, vash'ir is basically only mirror quests, and only highlands offer some unique experience.

In MoP we once again had majority of neutral zones, but it was (at least partially) balanced out by 5.1 and 5.2 questlines.

And then happened WoD, and far all its flaws and shortcomings did one small thing right - faction starting areas. At least in my opinion, both frostfire and shadowmoon were unique to factions and this allowed them to tell much more "focused" story.

So to finish that wall of text - do you prefer more of cataclysm/MoP approach or would you prefer return of longer and more prevalent faction quests ?

yes, it doesnt matter wich faction you choose, in the end all the quest end up being the same, and thats dissapointing

I think the break between expansions is long enough without doubling the amount of quests and them shoving them into zones.

It'd be nice though obviously.

They were nice in previous expansions.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like a bit of faction-specific questing. As someone who plays both sides, that means that there's extra content and I am not just doing the exact same thing when I level an alt.

Wrath is the most interesting for faction-specific; IMO, Alliance got a better story there. I'm sure Blizzard didn't set out to do that on purpose, but Arthas being a former human prince and all, it was just bound to work out that way.

I wouldn't mind it at all if Blizzard did another expansion that went as far as Wrath did with the faction-specific questing.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Yea, I don't want to be doing the same quest lines just mirrored for faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    Yeah, I will love exploring faction lore -- moreso race lore actually. Think of how class quests will work in Legion.

However, that said the revamped Azeroth still has many exclusive zones, which is great!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. It's a lot more work though. But if they reduce the total number of quests, and make each more meaningful, maybe it could work.

It doesn't matter much to me as I only play one side and rarely go to Alliance, so as far as I care, it may as well be Horde only.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    As the tittle says. Do you guys think blizzard should go back to more vanilla concept, and give us more faction quests rather than just all neutral or mirrored questlines ?

If you played in vanilla (or generally pre-cata) you will know that back then huge amount of quest/questlines were faction specific. From leveling quests in low level zones, to high level dungeons like blackrock or attunements (remember looking for rexxar ?), there was alot of quests that would involve faction NPCs, and give us more insight into races and their themes.

This continued in tbc, where while we saw more neutral quests, we still had alot of faction settlements and quests. And just as we have neutral druids in zangarmarsh, we can also find there darkspear/draenei settlements and questgivers. Another example is nagrand where while some quests share the theme, we still have quests like thralls reunion with geyah.

Even in wotlk, we still had alot of unique quests in areas like boring tundra or howling fiord, giving us nice balance of faction and neutral quests.

And then Cataclysm happens where 3 out of 5 zones are purely neutral, vash'ir is basically only mirror quests, and only highlands offer some unique experience.

In MoP we once again had majority of neutral zones, but it was (at least partially) balanced out by 5.1 and 5.2 questlines.

And then happened WoD, and far all its flaws and shortcomings did one small thing right - faction starting areas. At least in my opinion, both frostfire and shadowmoon were unique to factions and this allowed them to tell much more "focused" story.

So to finish that wall of text - do you prefer more of cataclysm/MoP approach or would you prefer return of longer and more prevalent faction quests ?
    like in vanilla, most of BC, most of wrath, some of cataclysm, some of mop, and some of wod.... no because it means more work for less people

also mop/wod/cata has about the same amount of faction quests
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

As others have said, this means essentially doubling the workload, which IMO isn't worthwhile. More so since leveling alts usually comes down to dungeon grinding over questing anyway.

If Blizzard had infinite resources, sure, it's obviously more interesting. But they'd either be sacrificing quality or time to get this done, so I'd rather they keep it neutral focused.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least one hub in each zone would be acceptable I think, kinda like how in Highmountain (I think) Alliance follows Genn and Horde follow Sylvanas though I can't say if their quests are actually different or just a mirror but at least the concept has potential.

Cata had the Twilight Highlands which was 90% Faction Content.

MoP had the Jade Forest AND Kun-lai which totaled about the same as Cata.

WoD had an entire Zone dedicated to each faction.

Why do you want more?
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2016-05-30 at 11:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Cata had the Twilight Highlands which was 90% Faction Content.

MoP had the Jade Forest AND Kun-lai which totaled about the same as Cata.

WoD had an entire Zone dedicated to each faction.

Why do you want more?
    Yeah, one zone out of 5 surely is amazing. And kun-lai has....6-7 faction quests ? They do have copy pasted text on both sides tho.

Also, giving them more work wouldn't be that bad. WoD shown they don't have that much work to begin with.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2016-05-31 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Yeah, one zone out of 5 surely is amazing. And kun-lai has....6-7 faction quests ? They do have copy pasted text on both sides tho.

Also, giving them more work wouldn't be that bad. WoD shown they don't have that much work to begin with.
    One of the 5 Zones being dedicated to a conflict that shouldn't even exist anymore is pretty fucking amazing actually.

Edit: To go even further 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 all had more Faction Conflict in them than anything else in the game. 6.0 had quite a bit too, just poorly done. I really don't understand the problem here.

i want faction, race, and class exclusive questing experiences.

I don't think it's worth it to go TOO far with faction exclusive questing but it would be nice to see a bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    It's kinda scary, but it's like you pulled these thoughts out of my head, because I was thinking about this shit just today.

And yeah, I agree. When I think about Legion and all its class hall shenanigans I feel like the "neutral" content has become absolutely predominant. And, indeed, if there's one thing I liked of WoD are the different zones per faction.

While is clear that this means double effort for Blizzard and 100% exclusive content for both factions could happen only within the boundaries of an ideal world, avoiding the extremes we're likely going to see in Legion in any future expansion to still dedicate a bit of love to faction-exclusive content would be highly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    If they ever want Horde vs Alliance to matter in terms of lore again, YES!
    Otherwise, why are there two factions if they do 99.9% of the time the same shit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    If they ever want Horde vs Alliance to matter in terms of lore again, YES!
    Otherwise, why are there two factions if they do 99.9% of the time the same shit?
    In my opinion, or the way I perceive it, they don't really have to be in war to get distinguished quests.

Say you play a dwarf. Why there can't be a dwarven quests for example that deals with exploration, or dwarves inner conflict, and you could still play them than other races of the same faction at the same time?

I don't speak for everyone, but I certainly would love those.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    In my opinion, or the way I perceive it, they don't really have to be in war to get distinguished quests.

Say you play a dwarf. Why there can't be a dwarven quests for example that deals with exploration, or dwarves inner conflict, and you could still play them than other races of the same faction at the same time?

I don't speak for everyone, but I certainly would love those.
    Of course they don't need to be at a constant war, but if you ever want a meaningful conflict again it would make sense to keep the questing more separated.
    Or yes even race based quests to make the race lore matter again...
    And just to prevent the argument right now: If every faction/race gets a questline the rewards should be the same. Just because I know that someone on MMOC would whine about the rewards begin different....