Hong Kong Pokémon Fans Protest Pikachu's Name Change

First off let me say I had no clue where to post this. Its kinda game related but also off-topic.

And here's the story.

http://kotaku.com/hong-kong-pokemon-...ium=Socialflow

In the English-speaking world, Pikachu is “Pikachu.” In Hong Kong, things are more complex, especially after Nintendo renamed the franchise’s most famous Pocket Monster.

Upcoming titles Pokémon Sun and Moon will be released in traditional and simplified Chinese in mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Until now, different regions have used different translations to reflect the varied linguistic and cultural differences. However, this will change with Sun and Moon.
    Now Nintendo wants to unify them: Pokémon in Greater China will be officially called 精靈寶可夢, or Jingling Baokemeng in Mandarin (Jingling means “spirit” or “elf,” and Baokemeng is a transliteration of Pokémon). Earlier in Hong Kong, it was 寵物小精靈 Pet Little Elves (or Spirits), while in Taiwan, it was 神奇寶貝, Magic Babies.
    As Quartz notes, the renaming is having the biggest impact in Hong Kong, where Cantonese, not Mandarin, has traditionally been the common language.

Again, here is Zheping Huang:
    Pikachu was originally translated as 比卡超 (Bei-kaa-chyu) in Hong Kong. Now it is named 皮卡丘 (Pikaqiu). While the name 皮卡丘 in Mandarin sounds similar to the global name Pikachu (as it was always called in China and Taiwan), it reads as Pei-kaa-jau in Cantonese, which doesn’t sound the same at all.
    According to Quartz, the issue’s root is that in Hong Kong, many feel that Cantonese is being threatened by the mainland Chinese government. Fewer schools are teaching young children Cantonese, and there’s concern that it could disappear.

This, along with a strong sentiment towards the traditional translation, is perhaps why Hong Kong Pokémon fans have been protesting the name changes on the Nintendo Hong Kong Facebook page.

“Pikachu is 比卡超,not 皮卡丘,I hereby vow I will never buy from Nintendo again, unless you finally understand what is Cantonese and the correct Chinese usage,” writes a Facebook user.

A small group of protesters even demonstrated in front of the Japanese Consulate in Central, carrying banners, singing the Cantonese theme song, and demanding that Nintendo change “Pei-kaa-jau” back to “Bei-kaa-chyu.”

Protesters also collected 6,000 signatures for a petition against the change and launched a Facebook community to express their displeasure with Nintendo’s decision. However, it seems Nintendo is keeping with the new translation.
    Sorry for the wall of text, I just know some won't click the link.

So what is your thoughts on this.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Don't really give a shit. It's not nintendo's job to preserve every obscure sub language under the Chinese banner nor is it their fault some are disappearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am kind of upset Pokemon isn't called Magic Babies in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I am kind of upset Pokemon isn't called Magic Babies in the US.
    I'm more disturbed how they came up with that name in the first place..

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly they should just call it whatever they want. They will all still know what they mean lol. On a side note though, the fact that they feel they're losing their language is pretty sad, but I'm sure there are better ways to preserve a language/culture than through video game character names.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm more disturbed how they came up with that name in the first place..
    Direct translation... does not work so well here. It can be something that you're very attached to. It's kind of odd to describe it, but yes it can be used as baby, but that's not the entire implication of using that word.
    < speaks mandarin. The numerous times that I've been to Taiwan, yes there are some names that are kind of strange when you compare it to the original base, don't ask.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-05-31 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Direct translation... does not work so well here. It can be something that you're very attached to. It's kind of odd to describe it, but yes it can be used as baby, but that's not the entire implication of using that word.
    < speaks mandarin.
    What? Does the Japanese imply that?

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Japanese is just short for pocket monster. Read the edit, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    No. Japanese is just short for pocket monster. Read the edit, lol.
    Ah I see. I was wondering how they even came to conclusion to call it magic babies, as that seems quite the severe deviation from pocket monsters (though I can see the magic and spirit parts getting there over the monster -> demon -> ghost/spirit/magic angle).

The premise of the cartoon did. They were supposed to be your friend and partner.

Are memes forbidding here? If not I'm going to dig for some 90's sitcom jokes for pitting babies against one-another .

10+ Year Old Account
    Are memes forbidding here? If not I'm going to dig for some 90's sitcom jokes for pitting babies against one-another .
    Yes.

Interesting.

Their protesting isn't going to make a difference though. It's China and another Asian company that doesn't acknowledge criticism well. It's like barking at the ocean.

He'll always be Lambtron to me.