Why immortality would make us better

Immortality would be beneficial for us for following reasons:

1. People suffer from shortsightedness. If you would live indefinitely, you would be more concerned about environment and more interested in investing millenial projects such as interstellar travel which is gonna be neccesary at some point.

2. It makes us more careful. We would think one more time, before we engage in pointless wars if we had more to lose. Common mentality with people is "well, i die anyway so lets make it count" when it comes to war for an example.

3. It makes us appreciate others more, for the same reason as above. I think lifes value increases indefinitely if life expectancy is indefinite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SandMax View Post

1. People suffer from shortsightedness. If you would live indefinitely, you would be more concerned about environment and more interested in investing millenial projects such as interstellar travel which is gonna be neccesary at some point.

2. It makes us more careful. We would think one more time, before we engage in pointless wars if we had more to lose. Common mentality with people is "well, i die anyway so lets make it count" when it comes to war for an example.

3. It makes us appreciate others more, for the same reason as above. I think lifes value increases indefinitely if life expectancy is indefinite.
    No, no it wouldn't.

Young people think they are immortal. Young people are reckless as fuck, and do not forsee the future at all.

The ones who sacrifice the most, are parents, and they get older, they come to terms with their mortality and an end. A common argument, being the "What world do we leave for our children" - Is a strong one, you should look it up.

If you are immortal, you would not be more careful. That is an contradiction.

Appreciating people more, cause you will last indefenitly, is the opposite of what would occur. Since you have infinite time, you could just literally talk to them, whenever, cause there is no concept of "time".

You must be new to these parts. Or incredibly rich, in an undetectable irony. Tho i am guessing, yer just a fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    No, no it wouldn't.

Young people think they are immortal. Young people are reckless as fuck, and do not forsee the future at all.

The ones who sacrifice the most, are parents, and they get older, they come to terms with their mortality and an end. A common argument, being the "What world do we leave for our children" - Is a strong one, you should look it up.

Appreciating people more, cause you will last indefenitly, is the opposite of what would occur. Since you have infinite time, you could just literally talk to them, whenever, cause there is no concept of "time".

You must be new to these parts. Or incredibly rich, in an undetectable irony. Tho i am guessing, yer just a fisherman.
    Young people, or nobody thinks they are immortal. And for that parenting argument, people mostly care about themselves and immediate offspring. They arent really concerned much about what happens in hundreds of years.

jay 2.0

at least its a decent topic though ayy

Quote Originally Posted by Brexityes View Post
    Would artificial evolution be required for a species that is immortal?

It makes me wonder.
    Yes, though in theory through "natural selection" we could end up with biological immortality but highly unlikely.

You think immortality would cure shortsightedness? Most people can barely plan out a full day as is. If anything, many would just procrastinate indefinitely. I'd also wager that the vast majority of people who are unconcerned about environmental issues aren't that way solely because they don't believe they will be around when things get bad.

No, no it wouldn't.

The immortal-ness that young people feel does not equal them thinking they will live forever. It's a feeling of "nothing can hurt me", not "I will live until the end of time". Knowing that you will literally live forever would pretty much certainly make you plan for the future better, but thinking you'll be fine by eating a dozen hot wings and binge drinking every day of your young life does not mean it will make you plan for environmental changes for 100 years from now. Of course, with people today they'd be more concerned on what bathroom people can use, or what person Kylie Jenner is dating.
    Last edited by Feel The Power; 2016-05-31 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    The immortal-ness that young people feel does not equal them thinking they will live forever. It's a feeling of "nothing can hurt me", not "I will live until the end of time". Knowing that you will literally live forever would pretty much certainly make you plan for the future better, but thinking you'll be fine by eating a dozen hot wings and binge drinking every day of your young life does not mean it will make you plan for environmental changes for 100 years from now. Of course, with people today they'd be more concerned on what bathroom people can use, or what person Kylie Jenner is dating.
    Im pretty sure, if you knew youre gonna live indefintely from now, you are more interested if 200y from now world is shitty place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    You ever talked to a person that is young, about the concept of their age? They don't understand the very idea of that getting older = closer to death.

So i tend to disagree.

And whilst it sounds great on paper, people are selfish shortsighted buttheads, most of 'em. So, no, i don't think the "majority", would plan ahead, if ANY of the political landscapes that we have had in the past, inlcuding the present state of things, are anything to go by.

You ever talked to a person that is young, about the concept of their age? They don't understand the very idea of that getting older = closer to death.
    Back this up, sounds total bullshit.

Deleted
    Back this up, sounds total bullshit.
    It's perfect logic, indisputable, just like yours m8, hahahahaha

10+ Year Old Account

Immortality would cause more problems than solutions: (Even more) over population, (even more) polution, (even more) depletion of natural resources, etc etc etc..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    I don't think that humans are able to handle immortality mentally. There might be exceptions to the rule, but overall, it would be a bad idea. I would surely trade my ability to reproduce for the ability to a perfect rejuvenation of my body on the cellular / DNA basis, especially when coupled with great regeneration abilties (don't have to be as extreme as in the case of Wolverine). But I am not sure if I would not want to deliberately end my life at some point.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-05-31 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    99,9% of human population would not be able to handle immortality mentally.
    This, where would you store all the experience, all the memories?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    This, where would you store all the experience, all the memories?
    After a while, you would go mad.

Old people say all their days blend into one so it seems like years flew by in just a week. I think immortality would make this even worse, a century would fly by in what seems a week. Heck it might be even relative so that an 80 year old man now would feel he lived as long as an immortal.

Assuming immortals died of accidents in a couple hundred years of living. Getting hit by a car, falling off a cliff, etc.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

1. Or people who trash it more because we're around longer to fix it.

2. We'd be less careful. We're immortal.

3. Value of life would decrease because more people are coming in, less people are going out. Life would be infinite.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15+ Year Old Account
    If everyone was immortal it would send the World into despair, beginning with food shortages due to too many people and countries going to war for "living space" when there countries become too overcrowded just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Old people say all their days blend into one so it seems like years flew by in just a week. I think immortality would make this even worse, a century would fly by in what seems a week. Heck it might be even relative so that an 80 year old man now would feel he lived as long as an immortal.

Assuming immortals died of accidents in a couple hundred years of living. Getting hit by a car, falling off a cliff, etc.
    Apparently the reason for this is because when you're 1, 1 year is 100% of your life, by 10, that's 10%. At my age, 1 year is ~4% of my life. My parents, 1 year is 1.81%. My grandparents, 1.16%. And this affect means you experience more time. I think Veritisium/minutephysics does a really good video on it.

So think when you're 1000 years old. 1 single year would 0.1% of your life.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day