Cool Looking for some advice on a new gpu

Current computer specs:
    cpu-Intel i7 4770k 3.5ghz
    motherboard: Msi military class 4 H81m-e33
    Memory- standard 8gb memory DDR3
    Powersupply- 650watt
    Graphics- try not to laugh Lol- Old Radeon 5770 1gb

I realize my card is very outdated. When I bought this system it just came with very lower end card then what I have in it now.
    I know I have a lot of options. I'm going out Friday to find an upgrade. I got about 225.00 budget.

Just wanted some advice from the experts.

I have been able to pull of decent gameplay for most games... watchdogs still freaks out at times .. but overall cant complain.

If anyone can help I would be grateful :P

Deleted
    I will guess 225 is usd? There is new gpu's coming out but you don't have the budget for those getting released soon... so looking what is available now:

MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G LE @ 260usd after rebates if you can stretch your budget a little bit.

If not then within the budget Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB @ 200usd after rebates again.

Whats the exact model of you power supply?
    Btw, that cpu you got there is still very solid performance but paired with that mobo.... I mean you got a unlocked cpu with a low end not Z mobo. That would be a Z87/Z97 mobo that should have been paired with.

Wait another month when prices fall on everything.

thanks for the quick reply- I'm probably gonna go with the asus radeon r9 380x 4gb...

as far as the motherboard yeah I need to upgrade that... and the memory add a ssd... I'm just trying to do 1 thing at a time haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Wait another month when prices fall on everything.
    That might not actually happen due to: Nvidia current ones, since they are not in production might be hard to find. Since they will last till stock runs out which is what is already happening for a few months now since they just released new gen. So waiting might be worse. Amd is stubborn and might leave them there till they are close releasing something new or they could lower prices for a while to stay in game. But if you see the 280X i linked its already 60$ or so cheaper than it used to be. I'd say its a gamble that not worth it.

@OP give us the psu model so we know its a good one and that can run the system safely (with new gpu). Watts don't mean much if its a crap quality. Might say 600w rated and actually be 450w.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-05-31 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    That might not actually happen due to: Nvidia current ones, since they are not in production might be hard to find. Since they will last till stock runs out which is what is already happening for a few months now since they just released new gen. So waiting might be worse. Amd is stubborn and might leave them there till they are close releasing something new or they could lower prices for a while to stay in game. But if you see the 280X i linked its already 60$ or so cheaper than it used to be. I'd say its a gamble that not worth it.

@OP give us the psu model so we know its a good one and that can run the system safely (with new gpu). Watts don't mean much if its a crap quality. Might say 600w rated and actually be 450w.
    I'm not that savy with computers I'm still learning.. all I know its suppose to be a 650watt.. is there a way to look it up online?

Deleted
    open the pc case and check the psu label on the side.

Nspire? Never heard of them. I highly doubt they'd be putting out the actual 650w, I can't even see if they have any sort of efficiency rating (e.g. 80+Bronze/Gold etc).

I would definitely invest in a new PSU, you don't want some old junk killing your hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    I would definitely invest in a new PSU, you don't want some old junk killing your hardware.
    This. x 1000. Speaking from experience here

The 970 is a damn solid purchase for that budget, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    This. x 1000. Speaking from experience here

The 970 is a damn solid purchase for that budget, btw.
    Can't disagree with that. Also, should you wait a little for the 1070 and 1080s to release, you might get a sick deal from people who want to upgrade to the 1070/1080 and are going to sell their current GTX970 or even 980(with a bit of a budget stretch), assuming buying a used card isn't a problem for you. If it isn't, I would however stay away from cards that were used for some time already and/or heavily overclocked.

Get a new PSU as soon as possible. I'd say that's a ticking time bomb right there. You really don't want that PSU shitting all over your new shiny hardware.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2016-05-31 at 06:09 PM.

In a month there will be enough supply and amd will launch their new gpus. Nvidia will have to drop prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Nvidia will have to drop prices.
    That doesn't always happen, unfortunately. AMD's trend lately is to match NVidia, not undercut them as much as they used to.

Deleted
    Can't tell for sure cause its really an "unknown" to me psu branch, but it seems like a 450w, double 18A on +12v rail with a split. So in reality is not 4x 18A but 2x 18A = 36A total on 12v which is 432watts. (it supposed to able to give on each of its 4 12v rails 18amps, doesn't mean it can produce that on each one at the same time).

edit: Even so it will be fine with a gtx970 wattage wise, the R9 380X though will be cutting a little close, around 400w+ for full system).
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-05-31 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't tell for sure cause its really an "unknown" to me psu branch, but it seems like a 450w, double 18A on +12v rail with a split. So in reality is not 4x 18A but 2x 18A = 36A total on 12v which is 432watts. (it supposed to able to give on each of its 4 12v rails 18amps, doesn't mean it can produce that on each one at the same time).

edit: Even so it will be fine with a gtx970 wattage wise, the R9 380X though will be cutting a little close, around 400w+ for full system).
    Agreed, although keeping it below 550W (factoring in PSU deterioration, capacitor aging, etc) is risky, isn't it?
    The working theory seems to be 5-10% degradation in output year-on-year (after year 3). Personally I've never found it to be THAT high, at all. But it's still there to an extent. Especially if the PSU is going to be under heavy load.

To give you an idea, I currently have a Seasonic 850W. It's complete and total overkill, and for my next build this month I'm speccing much lower. 750W probably (note: no SLI).
    Last edited by aktorsyl; 2016-05-31 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aktor View Post
    That doesn't always happen, unfortunately. AMD's trend lately is to match NVidia, not undercut them as much as they used to.
    The 480 card is right in between the 970 and 980. The chart that was circulating seems pretty accurate. The 4gb and 8gb variant fits perfectly in the ops price range. They start at 199. They showed a CF setup keeping pace with a 1080. For 400 usd thats pretty good for their bottom card. This is even better for AMD since nvidia is putting all of their eggs in the 1080 for marketing since it makes them the most money to sell those cards. If the op is willing to wait a month is the question.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2016-06-01 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lastwolf82 View Post
    thanks for the quick reply- I'm probably gonna go with the asus radeon r9 380x 4gb...

as far as the motherboard yeah I need to upgrade that... and the memory add a ssd... I'm just trying to do 1 thing at a time haha
    I would wait for the 480 if that's the case. It will be right in your price range and is going to perform like a 970, with better DX12 support.