Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Good gaming monitor

Hey all! I am looking to buy a good gaming monitor and I thought I'd ask here as many of you seem to know well about that kind of stuff. I looked around on the Internet but I would also like to know what some of you think! I would like to spend between $300 and $500 and I would like a screen being at least 27" (and that gives some good graphics/image, of course). So what could I get that would be good? What do you think and suggest? Thanks in advance for the advice!! ^^

Edit: I have looked around and found the Asus VH278HE 27" (1920x1080, 144Hz 2ms) and the Acer XG270HU 27" (2560x1440, 144Hz 1ms) being both really interesting. What do you think I should pick? Thanks again a lot!!!!
    Last edited by Takkio; 2016-06-01 at 10:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkio View Post
    Hey all! I am looking to buy a good gaming monitor and I thought I'd ask here as many of you seem to know well about that kind of stuff. I looked around on the Internet but I would also like to know what some of you think! I would like to spend between $300 and $500 and I would like a screen being at least 27" (and that gives some good graphics/image, of course). So what could I get that would be good? What do you think and suggest? Thanks in advance for the advice!! ^^
    If those are your only wishes the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H will be good enough, at 25".

For a higher price you could get the Dell Ultrasharp U2715H, which is 27".

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of image quality this thing will outperform the Dells
    I'm in a hurry now but I can give some other options later.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-06-01 at 12:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll throw this monitor out there even if its not exactly what you're looking for but we have two of them in the house here and I really enjoy mine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009728

Pixel density is very impressive and clear at 1440p on a 25" screen. No bad viewing angles at all and you can OC it 75mhz. Only bad part about it is its stand and no vesa mounts. People complain about its speakers as well but who really buys a monitor for that anyway. :P

Got ours off Acer's ebay store for $180 refurbished (mine was brand new still though, lol).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

To be honest if you are after a GAMING monitor. You have to get a 144hz screen (assuming you play FPS games). Once you go 144hz playing FPS games you cannot play fps on 60hz anymore.

If you play moba's / rpg / mmo's then it really doesnt matter. Go with any IPS panel screen with decent reviews and it'll be fine you wont notice much difference

I personally have been using an Asus VG248QE 24" monitor for the past 3 years. Great gaming monitor.

LINK $250

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noobj View Post
    To be honest if you are after a GAMING monitor. You have to get a 144hz screen (assuming you play FPS games). Once you go 144hz playing FPS games you cannot play fps on 60hz anymore.

If you play moba's / rpg / mmo's then it really doesnt matter. Go with any IPS panel screen with decent reviews and it'll be fine you wont notice much difference
    Best for "gaming" would be a 1ms Plasma or CRT. You have to go with higher refresh rates at LCD because LCD has motion blur at 60Hz. That's not the case with low-persistence displays.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on the specs of your computer. Can you run most games at 1440p? Then you should go for a 1440p monitor. If you can't, then can you run games at 1080p over 60 fps? Then you might want to consider getting a 144hz monitor. If you can run games at 1440p and well over 60 then you'll want a 1440p 144hz monitor but that might be outside of your price range.

And of course there's 4k but that is almost assuredly outside of your price range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats wrong with 120hz monitors? I wonder if a 75+hz 2k monitor with less than 4 ms for under 350 is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Whats wrong with 120hz monitors? I wonder if a 75+hz 2k monitor with less than 4 ms for under 350 is possible.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them, it's just that most 2k monitors I see are either 60hz or 144hz. If you can find a 120hz monitor and it's cheaper than a 144hz monitor then I'd get it, because 144 is overkill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    120Hz causes judder at 3D playback with 3:2 pull-down and was virtually discontinued in favor of 144Hz which doesn't have this problem.

144/2 = 72. 72 frames for each eye means that you can do playback of 24Hz content displaying 3 frames in a row without screwing up the movement of things.

Yes both 120Hz and 144Hz were born because of 3D. But with 120Hz you get 60Hz for each eye, which isn't a integer multiplier of 24 and therefore you can't do the playback properly.

For people playing games without 3D? No noticeable difference whatsoever. 120Hz or 144Hz sample-and-hold LCDs will feel almost the same.

Choose Philips, I have this one more than 12 years, no one missed pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Best for "gaming" would be a 1ms Plasma or CRT. You have to go with higher refresh rates at LCD because LCD has motion blur at 60Hz. That's not the case with low-persistence displays.
    Not everyone plays twitch shooters or racers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Not everyone plays twitch shooters or racers.
    Plasmas also have better image quality than any LCD tech but well whatever.

If we focus on monitors, I'd still say to grab a decent VA over TN/IPS due to better image quality. 5x better contrast isn't something that you can ignore and it's ridiculously noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really feeling like writing everything all over again about this TNxIPSxVA discussion so you guys can read about it in this thread.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have been looking at a lot of monitors and two of them I find seem really nice : the Asus VH278HE 27" (1920x1080, 144Hz 2ms) and the Acer XGX270HU 27" (2560x144, 144Hz 1ms). Which one do you think would be the better? I love both and they seem to be the same price, but I find that the Acer one looks nice with its higher resolution and 1ms response time. What do you think? Thanks again =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkio View Post
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have been looking at a lot of monitors and two of them I find seem really nice : the Asus VH278HE 27" (1920x1080, 144Hz 2ms) and the Acer XGX270HU 27" (2560x144, 144Hz 1ms). Which one do you think would be the better? I love both and they seem to be the same price, but I find that the Acer one looks nice with its higher resolution and 1ms response time. What do you think? Thanks again =D
    They're probably both terrible. Let me see which one is less bad.

Asus:

Atrociously bad color reproduction. Laughable contrast as expected from TN and IPS. Gamma curve is also ridiculous, this is what you see from <$100 monitors.

The deviance in comparison to other monitors, as you can see it's the second worst of the chart. You want your deltaE to be <2.

PWM so it flickers. You might notice it.

At this point I should just give up on this monitor, it gets exponentially more bluish when you decrease the luminance levels and this is simply bad.

And the viewing angles, as expected from TN, aren't anything good either. But you should be fine as long as you don't go below your monitor's level since that's the place where you'll see a lot of color shifting.

Now the Acer one:

That's not good but it's less bad than the previous monitor.

It isn't good. But isn't the worst either.

Contrast ratio is bad as expected. But it's consistently bad across the board without much variation.

Hey look, finally something good! No PWM which means no flicker.

The joys of LCD, insane motion blur at 144Hz.

Same thing here at viewing angles.

If I absolutely had to choose between the two I'd probably go with the Acer.
    You can find the full reviews at Tftcentral.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius
    If I absolutely had to choose between the two I'd probably go with the Acer.
    You can find the full reviews at Tftcentral.
    Oh well thanks for the analysis hehe... Didn't think it would be that bad. What would you suggest instead?

In terms of image quality this thing will outperform the Dells
    I'm in a hurry now but I can give some other options later.
    Would this Samsung WQHD 32" you linked be better than those two? And can you give some other options as well? Thanks

Artorius, what would you suggest is the best 1440p g-sync monitor? Not sure if I'm going with an ultra wide anymore. 27 inch, 1440p, and g-sync I'll be happy. I don't have a limited budget.

Plasmas also have better image quality than any LCD tech but well whatever.

If we focus on monitors, I'd still say to grab a decent VA over TN/IPS due to better image quality. 5x better contrast isn't something that you can ignore and it's ridiculously noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really feeling like writing everything all over again about this TNxIPSxVA discussion so you guys can read about it in this thread.
    If they even make plasma monitors you'd still have to deal with their quite significant drawbacks.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Artorius, what would you suggest is the best 1440p g-sync monitor? Not sure if I'm going with an ultra wide anymore. 27 inch, 1440p, and g-sync I'll be happy. I don't have a limited budget.
    I'll be interested to see if Artorius suggests the newer IPS version of the ASUS ROG Swift...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water