Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    What do you mean with explain a bit more exactly? Sorry, somewhat confused on the question. I'll try though.

Anyways, based off of different definitions we realistically could of come from any other form on this planet. It is more likely though our ancestors were something with more similar qualities, which are apes. Since we would have similarities yet distinguishable differences. Well our close ancestors. Billions of years ago it could of been anything to be honest.

The sad part about evolution though is with all these claims of where we supposedly come from, can't tell us where we are going. There is hypothetical out there like darker skin and red eyes.... etc which sound plausible given evolution being accurate, but can't be used in certainty, though a lot of the things would be amazing if so.
    It's more likely that we share an ancestor with apes, not that we're descended from modern apes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

If I came from my mother why is my mother still around?

Anyways, based off of different definitions we realistically could of come from any other form on this planet. It is more likely though our ancestors were something with more similar qualities, which are apes. Since we would have similarities yet distinguishable differences. Well our close ancestors. Billions of years ago it could of been anything to be honest.

The sad part about evolution though is with all these claims of where we supposedly come from, can't tell us where we are going. There is hypothetical out there like darker skin and red eyes.... etc which sound plausible given evolution being accurate, but can't be used in certainty, though a lot of the things would be amazing if so.
    We don't "come from" any organisms living today. We share a common ancestry. There's a big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean with explain a bit more exactly? Sorry, somewhat confused on the question. I'll try though.

A lettuce is like a distant cousin, very distant, so we could not have come from a lettuce.

Both us and a lettuce came from the same thing, but a very long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    In his defense, though I don't like him, from what science claims I could of come from a piece of lettuce. The reason why things like gorillas are used is because it is the only other creature that has a similar bone structure etc... to man. Granted they once discovered a bird that had similarities also.
    None of what you've said is true.

We share a common ancestor with apes. At least 4 million years ago (though possibly as far back as 13 million years ago) - when neither humans or apes that we recognize today existed - there was a species whose descendants became what are now known as 'hominids'. This includes chimpanzees and bonobos (pan), orangutans (bongo), gorillas (gorilla), and of course, humans (homo).

This is not based solely on bone structure, but also from evolutionary fossil records, DNA similitude (97% similar or better), and a sufficiently developed brain so as to exhibit language or culture beyond the immediate family unit.

Our last common ancestor with birds (all of which are diapsid amniotes - aka archosaurs) would have existed over 300 million years ago, when sauropsids diverged from synapsids. Basically the point at which reptiles and mammals became distinct (although early synapsids such as dimetrodon still looked an awful lot like reptiles, and were still amniotes.) Essentially, our last common ancestor with birds pre-dates the dinosaurs.

And while it is true that if you look far back enough, we share a common ancestor with lettuce - we're talking about 1.6 billion years ago, and it was a single-celled organism. So that's just ludicrous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Our last common ancestor with birds (all of which are diapsid amniotes - aka archosaurs) would have existed over 300 million years ago, when sauropsids diverged from synapsids. Basically the point at which reptiles and mammals became distinct (although early synapsids such as dimetrodon still looked an awful lot like reptiles, and were still amniotes.) Essentially, our last common ancestor with birds pre-dates the dinosaurs.
    Dimetrodon wasn't reptilian / a dinosaur? You learn something new every day. Or at least that's the goal. Thanks for the edification!
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-06-01 at 09:19 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If you're an identical twin, should you be required to fight your twin to the death?

#LimbaughQuestions

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    We don't "come from" any organisms living today. We share a common ancestry. There's a big difference.
    I think you are mistaken by my comment. I didn't infer we came from Gorillas, yet Gorillas can be used to help pin point ancestors because of similarities. Hence it isn't unreasonable to claim we came from gorillas if we came from a similar ancestors that produced said creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are mistaken by my comment. I didn't infer we came from Gorillas, yet Gorillas can be used to help pin point ancestors because of similarities. Hence it isn't unreasonable to claim we came from gorillas if we came from a similar ancestors that produced said creatures.
    It is unreasonable if you understand the science behind it.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Should this be a surprise? Just under 1/2 the country feels this way, and most of that half tune into this idiot for "information" to decide how they view the world.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are mistaken by my comment. I didn't infer we came from Gorillas, yet Gorillas can be used to help pin point ancestors because of similarities.
    This is fair enough.

Hence it isn't unreasonable to claim we came from gorillas if we came from a similar ancestors that produced said creatures.
    ...but this kind of makes no sense.

I believe Rush Limbaugh may be the missing link between humans and those early primates

It's still completely inaccurate. Our common ancestor with Gorillas most likely looked more like a gorilla a than a human, but it was still not a gorilla. Even if someone isn't misinformed, to say we "came from" a modern animal is misleading at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Dimetrodon wasn't reptilian / a dinosaur?
    No, it wasn't. It was a synapsid. Dinosaurs, like all reptiles, were sauropsids.

While it wasn't a direct ancestor of mammals, it was in the same clade. In fact, we're synapsids too. Every extant mammal on Earth is a synapsid.

Dimetrodon is a famous example of what are sometimes referred to as 'proto-mammals'.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    According to scientists and athiests, she will evolve to you.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    It's still completely inaccurate. Our common ancestor with Gorillas most likely looked more like a gorilla a than a human, but it was still not a gorilla. Even if someone isn't misinformed, to say we "came from" a modern animal is misleading at best.
    How so is that? Your interpretation of what a creature may have been != what the creature was. Have you ever heard the idiom "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Oh shit Limbaugh is still around. Figured a heart attack would have done him in by now
    Or the drug abuse.

How so is that? Your interpretation of what a creature may have been != what the creature was. Have you ever heard the idiom "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
    But it's not a duck, anymore than the komodo dragon is a dinosaur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Or the drug abuse.
    The two don't have to be mutually exclusive

10+ Year Old Account
    Except, you're talking about gorillas as if they existed then. They didn't.

We share a common ancestor; its name was Nakalipithecus.
    We come from Nakalipithecus. So do gorillas. That's it. There's no debate here.