Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Couple desperate for help to deradicalize son involved with white supremacists

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ists-1.3611806

A Toronto couple are desperate to get help for their son, who they say has been radicalized by white supremacist groups, but have been told there's little that can be done.

The family, whose identity CBC News has agreed to conceal, describe their son as a "relatively high functioning" young man on the autism scale. They say he has become involved with extremist groups in the Greater Toronto Area and elsewhere in Canada and the U.S. and has grown increasingly withdrawn in recent years.

"He is continuing to fall further away into a direction and into a place where he will become more radicalized and violent," the man's father told Radio-Canada.

But the family say they feel stuck. Their ordeal began about 10 years ago when their son, whom they describe as "highly intelligent," started spending hours on end interacting with white supremacist groups online. Over the years, his behaviour began to change; he grew socially isolated and began spewing hateful rhetoric, the family say.

It's a transformation that Prince George, B.C.-based Daniel Gallant has lived first-hand. A former neo-Nazi, Gallant now combines his experience in white supremacist circles with his counselling psychology background to help young people make their exit from extremist groups.

The Toronto parents said they took their concerns to local police, but were told little can be done unless their son posed an imminent threat to others or himself.

"It seemed like all they wanted to do was to create a file to use for him in the event that it ever becomes a criminal matter," the mother said.

"We spill our guts to them saying we need help.… As a family we're talking about getting some support for our son, and all [they] care about is records."

Former CSIS analyst Phil Gurski has been helping to train law enforcement agencies to better equip them to help before radicalized youth take a criminal turn.

This is seriously disturbing. Right here in Canada too.
    I hope they can raise awareness so our Politicians act!
    We can't just wait for him to go on a killing spree and then try to stop him.

If anyone needs to be locked up its the parents for trying to create Thought Crime.

Nothing illegal about being a racist. The idea of arresting or 're-educating' people because you dont like their thoughts is fucking disgusting even more than any racist.

Just because someone doesnt like certain races doesnt mean they are going to commit actual crimes. The parents are fucking idiots. The cops are fucking idiots also for wanting to even build a 'file'. Thats just fuckin creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

That’s exactly what they’re going to do, because that’s the law. What you’re suggesting is thought censoring, telling this young man what/how he should think. Are the things he’s saying “good”? No, but as long as he’s not physically harming anyone, then nothing legally can be done.

His parents could try therapy, but if he doesn’t want to go, can’t force a horse to drink.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    The idea of arresting or 're-educating' people because you dont like their thoughts is fucking disgusting even more than any racist.
    This sums my thoughts up perfectly.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account

You act like Violent White Canadian Extremists are often committing acts of violence.

Given this is a tennis thread I take it that the parents are in truth regressive leftists that no longer can tell their son to feel guilty for being a white male because he outgrew their mental abuse.

Its funny how people want to criminalize the people complaining about illegal aliens yet look the other way when actual legitimate immigration laws are broken.

If anyone needs to be locked up its the parents for trying to create Thought Crime.

Nothing illegal about being a racist. The idea of arresting or 're-educating' people because you dont like their thoughts is fucking disgusting even more than any racist.

Just because someone doesnt like certain races doesnt mean they are going to commit actual crimes. The parents are fucking idiots. The cops are fucking idiots also for wanting to even build a 'file'. Thats just fuckin creepy.
    LOL no it's fucking not. It's better to be safe than sorry. Before he hurts others or himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

So I read through the whole article and couldn't find anything about what he actually said/did. Why is this even a story?

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like he was a wierd kid that didnt have friends and found some. thats generalized story atleast.

sad but you cant blame him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    So I read through the whole article and couldn't find anything about what he actually said/did. Why is this even a story?
    because media

15+ Year Old Account
    If every white supremacist went a on a killing spree there would be a lot more murders every year. Sucks for them but you can't fix stupid.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

7+ Year Old Account

Jesus fucking christ. Being a racist prick on itself, is not illegal in our society. However as a parent I would worry how my son would develop in a society that has a a diverse population. In addition your argument is so wrong, if a kid misbehaves then its wrong of the parent not try to correct him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    LOL no it's fucking not. It's better to be safe than sorry. Before he hurts others or himself.
    You’re delusional. Being a racist doesn’t automatically mean he’s going to hurt someone or himself, and last time I checked, it’s not illegal to be racist, just frowned upon.

As I mentioned above, what Tennis, and you, are talking about, is Thought Censorship.

“You will think what we want you to think.”

Tell me honestly that you think that’s a good idea.
    Last edited by Zethras; 2016-06-02 at 04:35 AM.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    You’re delusional. Being a racist doesn’t automatically mean he’s going to hurt someone or himself, and last time I checked, it’s not illegal to be racist, just frowned upon.

As I mentioned above, what Tennis, and you, are talking about, is Thought Censorship.
    No, but it has the potential to. Nowhere did I say, it was illegal to be racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account

Really? So we should just wait? Wait for tragedy to strike? Does that sound like a good idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? So we should just wait? Wait for tragedy to strike? Does that sound like a good idea?
    Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. He might just end up being a super introverted loner who intentionally cuts himself off from people. Those aren’t the types that go out and buy a gun with the intent of blowing a crowd of people away because of their skin colour.

7+ Year Old Account
    This seems like a fake story, to justify

"For now, the federal government has earmarked $35 million in the budget to create a counter-radicalization co-ordinator next year, promising an additional $10 million for the initiative each subsequent year."

There are no real facts, and the parents say " he began talking to white supremacist groups and spewing hate" with what proof and no history of violence , is the article suggesting that he may become violent because of his autism?

So the average rate of hate crime is going down by about 1 person in 100,000 a year, with the 2013 average being 3.3 incidents per 100,000, which you have to remember less than 40% of those were violent.

Looking at the data this is a pointless fluff article/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but it has the potential to. Nowhere did I say, it was illegal to be racist.
    So are a multitude of other reasons for someone to start hurting others, most of them mental illnesses.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    So are a multitude of other reasons for someone to start hurting others, most of them mental illnesses.
    Well this guy has been given refered with specific terms thar are usually asignated to autistic people, so he might have a mental illnes. Group that with a hate filled ideology and you got a potential criminal waiting to be released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Because everything needs legislation

- - - Updated - - -

That's the idea of free will. You can try to get someone help, but if they reject the help you are powerless to help them. Zethras is 100% correct that this is a tought crime kind of issue... You guys need to read 1984...

Kid's autistic, that's why you monitor they're interests/what they're reading on the internet. >.> Because they'll fixate on an interest/belief system and it will become very hard to get them to lose interest in whatever it is they're fixated on.

As someone else mentioned, he probably found acceptance/friendship with that group of people which is why he is drawn to them. The solution is to try to substitute his interests/friends for new ones, not going to be an easy task though...