7+ Year Old Account

Coriolis members exploiting again? Banned?

Help me out with the details. It's safe to post here.

There is like 30 raiding guilds in RIFT. Why the hell would a guild need to exploit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    There's a bunch of stuff posted on Reddit and a topic or two on the official forums with reference to these happenings,i'm sure both have been heavily neutered by now so you better catch what's left while you can

On the one hand you have Trion releasing broken content as usual and on the other you have people taking advantage of it,the friendly mallard must be in tears by now.

i'll just get my popcorn ready for when the next inevitable public apology thread pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by justinhalfout View Post
    On the one hand you have Trion releasing broken content as usual and on the other you have people taking advantage of it,the friendly mallard must be in tears by now.
    Given everything I've been hearing about raids, Daglar's good advice mallard was murdered by Trion long ago. "Exploit" drama caused by broken fights leading to confusing on the part of raiders seems to be a pretty common thread in Rift over the past few years.

i'll just get my popcorn ready for when the next inevitable public apology thread pops up.
    I would go to the official forums but I know that there's probably no actual discussion on it because Trion would have banned anyone criticizing them (wouldn't be the first time). But I poked around the Reddit thread and will keep an eye on that and my hand on my popcorn in case things get more interesting : P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Given everything I've been hearing about raids, Daglar's good advice mallard was murdered by Trion long ago. "Exploit" drama caused by broken fights leading to confusing on the part of raiders seems to be a pretty common thread in Rift over the past few years.
    The mallard is oversimplified, but also not the only rule Trion has set. Exploit is very subjective. Every intelligent person understands you can't apply a massive, one-size-fits-all rulebook for what things count as exploits.

However, the precedent has been set countless times. If something seems questionable, you ask the raid developers to confirm.

In literally every case where Trion revoked a kill or banned individuals the actions in question were not discussed with developers, not brought to their attention until after the fact. In this specific example, several members of Coriolis had access to raid developers on Skype. None of them have the right to claim "well, we didn't have a way of contacting devs" or "devs ignored us." When Apoth's Jinoscoth kill got revoked, all they had to do before using that tactic was ask Anony if it was fine. He would have responded very swiftly, as was my experience with him during progression.

"Exploit", in the end becomes a very subjective matter. But the final authority on an acceptable strategy is the raid team. And Coriolis (along with every other guild branded exploiters) had ample opportunity to discuss their strategy with the developers. I simply don't buy any argument that feigns ignorance or thinking something is ok without contacting devs.

edit: Per the associated reddit thread, one of the members states he thought the strategy was 50/50, as in 50% acceptable, 50% chance it's not. And yet they still didn't ask the developers.

The only reason for not discussing a suspected exploit (especially when you acknowledge it as 50% chance of being disallowed) is to ensure you kill the boss using the strategy before it gets hotfixed. Aka blatant exploiting.

In literally every case where Trion revoked a kill or banned individuals the actions in question were not discussed with developers, not brought to their attention until after the fact. In this specific example, several members of Coriolis had access to raid developers on Skype. None of them have the right to claim "well, we didn't have a way of contacting devs" or "devs ignored us." When Apoth's Jinoscoth kill got revoked, all they had to do before using that tactic was ask Anony if it was fine. He would have responded very swiftly, as was my experience with him during progression.

[/B]
    When i was still raiding in Cori a year ago none of our 20 man roster would even want to partake in any beta testing, everyone thinks its a recipe for burnout, most of the raiders there login 6-8 hours on a weekend just to raid and nothing else.

If you watched our streams before, in the 3-4 hour we only have one 5 min break if were lucky, doing ready checks IS FORBIDDEN - after a wipe we mass res, we buff and we pull. Hikos made sure we make the most of our 6-8 hour raid a week to get things done.

Waiting for a dev to reply 1-3 am on a weekend is probably not the best use of their limited time to raid if they want that NA 1st. Calling off their raid for that day is already 50% of their raid hours. You cant even compare the situation to Apoth because even if they take a 2 hour break for a dev to reply they still have about what? 10 hours to raid? 40 hours for the whole week?

I havent talked to Hikos or anyone in cori about this, but this is what 1st came to my mind when i read about this.

EDIT: So i just heard that Trinity and Fires of Heaven called it quits before the cori ban. Topofrift says they only have 9 guilds doing their newest raid now its down to 7 ¯\(°_o)/¯ what are they doing lol
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-06-04 at 06:12 AM.

Apparently, its something to do with being able to break a boss or its adds so it doesn't use its auto attacks allowing you to bypass the Enrage timer. Not sure if thats true or not, its just what I heard about it in 65 chat, so take it with a grain of salt. It could be accurate or it could be completely wrong.

If it is something like this, which is very clearly unintended, then I don't see how anyone could ever be 50/50 on it. Its obviously an exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    doing ready checks IS FORBIDDEN
    I've been in guilds with some really stupid rules before now, but this one takes the crown. I am genuinely impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post

If it is something like this, which is very clearly unintended, then I don't see how anyone could ever be 50/50 on it. Its obviously an exploit.
    OH PLEASE! After the whole Mecha Crucia failure from the devs early last year, everything that looks like an exploit is 50/50 in my eyes! Its the NA 1st kill where in the middle of the encounter everyone took a power nap for 3 mins to skip a whole phase, and when it died it dropped no loot, obv exploit! Then Anoni said "OH its another way of doing the encounter, not ideal but totally fine!"

Ahovv would probably fill u in on his defense.

Another one i remember is the Akylios in the rehashed HK, do you really think the devs intend for everyone to do it with 2 cabs cooridating stuns on the clusterfuck of adds for the whole 15 mins? Im pretty sure Apotheosis did not even receive a go signal for that one, but it would be pretty embarrassing for the devs to revoke that kill 3 weeks after we discovered how they did it. Dealing with the adds in t1 gear is impossible and they killed it within the week or 2 that rehashed raid was released?

Threngar not doing any mechanics 50/50 of the time? How many times i pugged that raid with him not doing his mechanics. Exploit or not?

I could go on how many unintended exploits the whole rift community has been using on dungeons and raids. And your asking how can something in rift be 50/50 ¯\(°_o)/¯

Im pretty sure that ban was personal, if i was a Rift dev and this this arrogant streamer goes on and on and on and on about how shit I am on doing my job, and how shit my game is, Im definitely gonna ban the fuck of everyone in your guild, but thats me lol
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-06-04 at 08:12 PM.

Another one i remember is the Akylios in the rehashed HK, do you really think the devs intend for everyone to do it with 2 cabs cooridating stuns on the clusterfuck of adds for the whole 15 mins?
    I've done plenty of raid bosses where CCing adds has been the go-to stratergy, so the idea that they Devs left it in intentionally as an option sounds totally plausable. Thing is, theres a huge difference between stopping a boss from attacking and setting up a stun rotation. One is very obviously breaking the rules of the game, while the other is clever use of game mechanics.

If being able to CC them was unintentional, then thats on the Dev team. Using CC on them however isn't doing anything that the game rules don't allow.

I could go on how many unintended exploits the whole rift community has been using on dungeons and raids. And your asking how can something in rift be 50/50 ¯\(°_o)/¯
    I admit I'm not into raiding anymore, but I've done plenty of NTE's and not once have I seen anything in Rift that made me say "thats clearly not ment to work that way". Probably the closest I've seen is being able to walk around most of the trash mobs in Glacial Maw, but that happens in every open area dungeon in every MMO ever created. If theres a away to skip trash, people are going to take it.

7+ Year Old Account
    OH PLEASE! After the whole Mecha Crucia failure from the devs early last year, everything that looks like an exploit is 50/50 in my eyes! Its the NA 1st kill where in the middle of the encounter everyone took a power nap for 3 mins to skip a whole phase, and when it died it dropped no loot, obv exploit! Then Anoni said "OH its another way of doing the encounter, not ideal but totally fine!"

Ahovv would probably fill u in on his defense.

Another one i remember is the Akylios in the rehashed HK, do you really think the devs intend for everyone to do it with 2 cabs cooridating stuns on the clusterfuck of adds for the whole 15 mins? Im pretty sure Apotheosis did not even receive a go signal for that one, but it would be pretty embarrassing for the devs to revoke that kill 3 weeks after we discovered how they did it. Dealing with the adds in t1 gear is almost impossible and they killed it within the week or 2 that rehased raid was released?

Threngar not doing any mechanics 50/50 of the time? How many times i pugged that raid with him not doing his mechanics. Exploit or not?

I would humor the subject of mech crucia in full detail if you actually understood the fight. Anyone who actually understands how the phases of that encounter work (you know, the way they are intended to work) would know we did nothing wrong. It's essentially the same thing as delaying Warden Thrax for 20-30s until he casts Suppression, to ensure you have a lower dps check for Execution. Nobody bitched about Warden Thrax, and yet everyone bitched over Mech Crucia. That's about all I'll say on this matter, as the incident was primarily a circlejerk of people who failed to understand what we actually did on our kill. I wonder how many people realized we were literally two seconds from having a full raid wipe. I'll let you figure out why, if you're even knowledgeable enough on the matter to do so.

Anyway, the "50/50 vs 100% sure" is irrelevant. You guys had the intelligence to realize something might not be behaving correctly, and yet decided it would be a waste of time to ask before using the strategy. You know what? When we asked about our Crucia strategy, if we were told it was an exploit we wouldn't have done it. Is having to constantly ask about strategies an annoying process? Sure. But in literally every case where someone got a kill revoked for exploiting, they simply did not discuss the matter with the devs beforehand. Or even worse, they got told not to do it and did it anyway.

If you want to find something principled to bitch about, you would look for inconsistency from developers. You know, like when Apoth had their Izkinra enrage fixed while we bashed our heads against it being told we were simply failing the enrage. Or how about Trinity being told Panacea is ok on Binding of Maelforge but we were told something different? That's a legitimate complaint. Your situation is not.

I would humor the subject of mech crucia in full detail if you actually understood the fight. Anyone who actually understands how the phases of that encounter work (you know, the way they are intended to work) would know we did nothing wrong. It's essentially the same thing as delaying Warden Thrax for 20-30s until he casts Suppression, to ensure you have a lower dps check for Execution. Nobody bitched about Warden Thrax, and yet everyone bitched over Mech Crucia. That's about all I'll say on this matter, as the incident was primarily a circlejerk of people who failed to understand what we actually did on our kill. I wonder how many people realized we were literally two seconds from having a full raid wipe. I'll let you figure out why, if you're even knowledgeable enough on the matter to do so.
    I only played Rift in NT but I do know the concept of having control for better transitions. Pushing/slowing down dps/make a boss delay an ability. Mythic Mannoroth revolves around that strat, you have to delay a decurse or interrupt, stop or push dps so the boss abilities and transitions do not align. Even Mu'ru in Sunwell almost 10 years ago required us to stop dps for an EXTENDED amount of time to have an easy burn phase.

There are plenty of raid bosses both in wow and rift that revolve around that strategy, but come on, its almost 3 MINUTES of doing nothing and skip a whole phase where the raid had to do some special mechanic. EVERYONE NOT IN REKT thinks the dev you asked did not fully understand the extent of what you were going to do and what it would look like, but since they already said yes they had to stand behind what they told you. People are not stupid, it looked like it was not intended to be done that way. I still remember the thread and the only ones defending that strat were the devs and the people in raid. We do not know each other personally but you were pretty popular in crossevents, and im sure that if it was trinity who did that you would bitch all over that shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    We do not know each other personally but you were pretty popular in crossevents, and im sure that if it was trinity who did that you would bitch all over that shit.
    Nope. It was a strategy approved by devs, and anyone who asked them would have received an "OK." The thing is, nobody else understood the fight like I did. So nobody bothered to figure it out and ask if it was appropriate. That's a fact. Not a single other guild figured out how the phases worked until our kill video.

The times I've complained about Trinity are a result of their clear actions. Did you know a group of them sent mass e-mails to Trion employees in attempts to ban Vendetta members over our usage of Defend the Fallen reset on Binding of Maelforge? Even though it was an approved strategy? That's the type of shit only someone bitter enough like Deew would do. Or Deew being a gigantic fucking hypocrite. Back when Addiction killed Volan first, Deew was salty and just brushed the whole thing off as "lots of time spent." When Deew finally nabs some world firsts (the joke bosses of Tyrant's Forge like Pumpkin and Johan), he gets all excited and happy and proud of his guild. So these things matter when he does it, but don't matter when anyone else does it. He's a complete joke.

I don't recall ever calling their strategies an exploit. You may be confusing me with Plastic, who claimed their Abominus tactics were an exploit. When I moved to Vendetta, we ran the original strategy at first, solved it, and then used the same one Trinity was using to avoid ocular blast. It was simply how the phases were scripted; not an exploit. You just needed a sufficient amount of DPS.

edit: also, your claim of us "skipping a phase" just goes to show you don't understand Mech Crucia. We failed the phase, and the 99% hp debuff would have occurred just after our kill. This combined with her pulsing aoe damage would have resulted in an immediate raid wipe. We were literally two seconds from wiping. We failed the polarity phase. We didn't skip it. Your misunderstanding is quite clear.

Ok, whatevr Ahov

But i stand by what I said about the perma ban being personal. Everytime they stream, they voice their opinions about how shitty the developers of the game nowadays, chat discussing whos the skinniest dev, releasing raids full of bugs, and the only reason why they log on is to play with each other. Which was true for me that's why i quit the game in the 1st place, i tried to come back twice and even if I really really miss raiding and pvp with Hikos and the rest of them, it was just not worth it, the state of the game is really that bad. Id prefer to login once a month to casually play it or jump on TS.

On that Herecius (the exploited boss) kill video i watched on twitch, a minute before it died, trunks was going on about how he only login to play with the guild and the opportunity to complain how shit the game is. And after the kill they wer just all laughing about the boss and how shit the raid was. Im 99% sure thats what triggered the decision for a perma ban, it pushed a few buttons on ocho anony etc
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-06-05 at 05:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

On that Herecius (the exploited boss) kill video i watched on twitch, a minute before it died, trunks was going on about how he only login to play with the guild and the opportunity to complain how shit the game is. And after the kill they wer just all laughing about the boss and how shit the raid was. Im 99% sure thats what triggered the decision for a perma ban, it pushed a few buttons on ocho anony etc
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's on the same conspiratorial level as a certain guild claiming Vendetta had special forum moderator access to ban their accounts. Trion has done a lot of stupid shit over the years (read my old thread for a small sample), but they don't randomly toss out in-game bans for people they dislike.

There is a potential issue of filtering bias. For example, in Addiction we had a member who was permabanned for bypassing his forum ban on multiple accounts. However, when several members of a certain guild violated this rule and it was brought to Trion's attention, they ignored it until it occurred myriad times. I suspect this is because the guild in question became the primary testing guild, and they didn't want to lose feedback. The truth is unclear as full evidence never surfaced. So yes, perhaps they chose to handle the same issue in different, unfair ways.

But again, your best claim would be "well, other people exploited and were not banned." As long as that is the best claim, it's not one you can expect Trion to be sympathetic to.

Every top guild bitches about incompetent devs and horrible, bugged content. Coriolis was not special in that regard. So if you believe they targeted you specifically for that, you would be mistaken.

ya watever

Stumbled upon something Deew-cy! Figured since u love the drama il post it here =)

http://www.coriolisguild.enjin.com/f...cakey-deew-bff

OMG i havent played that game in almost a year, why am i suddenly intrigued by this now

EDIT: Hurry and read it before cup does what she does best
    Last edited by Yizu; 2016-06-05 at 05:47 PM.

EDIT: Hurry and read it before cup does what she does best
    On that note some people have had enough of Cup's "moderation" and started up a new subreddit ,there was a post on the official forums discussing it and directing there but it appears to have been taken down (surprise surprise ).

Anyway the new one can be found >>HERE<< I'm not trying to promote the subreddit,it contains material pertinent to this topic which could be of interest so thought it may be appreciated.

Anyway the new one can be found >>HERE<< I'm not trying to promote the subreddit,it contains material pertinent to this topic which could be of interest so thought it may be appreciated.
    Oh this is even juicier thx <3

So far seems like a lot of shitposting in that subreddit. Glanced through a few threads and didn't see anything of value. I'll lurk for a while but don't have high expectations for it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's on the same conspiratorial level as a certain guild claiming Vendetta had special forum moderator access to ban their accounts. Trion has done a lot of stupid shit over the years (read my old thread for a small sample), but they don't randomly toss out in-game bans for people they dislike.
    Except for me.

There is a potential issue of filtering bias. For example, in Addiction we had a member who was permabanned for bypassing his forum ban on multiple accounts.
    RIP me.

It's funny too, because I used the same email (like blahblah+new@gmail.com, that nice feature gmail has) and was using the same IP address, and using the exact same posting style, and went on for well over a year without being banned again on the forums. It was only once said guild complained that I was allowed to post on another account (because everyone knew it was me) that Trino decided to start "enforcing" that rule -- but when you pointed out blatant forum rule violations made by people or that other people were doing the same thing, they basically ignored it. The last like 5 accounts I made to bypass the ban didn't make a single post, I was simply sending messages to the devs since the official forums was the only way you were allowed to appeal a ban (even though a ban made it impossible to send PMs, forcing you to create a new account) and asked for an appeal even under extreme concession from myself, including apology. This was all met with meaningless smokey "maybes" from that female who was the CM at the time, and then I was permanently banned for reporting posts on an account that made 0 posts. I was reporting blatant trolling/flaming that was far worse than what got me banned originally. And then the forum CoC was updated to include punishments on ban evasion and how your in-game account could be permanently banned for violating forum rules.

In a couple of occasions, people who got permanent forum bans for doing far worse than what I did got them reverted, and people who received bans in-game got those reverted as well by simply apologizing for their behavior publicly, an option I was never given (not that what I did was actually bad, it impacted 0 people and basically nobody knew about it except Addiction). Walsingham (a previous member of the community team) was playing in Addiction after he left Trion and confirmed that I was banned because people at Trion didn't like me and that he could probably get them to unban me by calling in favors.

I don't recall ever calling their strategies an exploit. You may be confusing me with Plastic, who claimed their Abominus tactics were an exploit. When I moved to Vendetta, we ran the original strategy at first, solved it, and then used the same one Trinity was using to avoid ocular blast. It was simply how the phases were scripted; not an exploit. You just needed a sufficient amount of DPS.
    The DPS required to pin him to 5% before blast would be cast was completely trivial if you could actually kill Inyr. It was a bug in the fight that he would just stop using that ability completely when he was pinned and every other mechanic remained engaged, and a major design flaw. The minis who weren't ghosts should've enraged at that point, effectively forcing you to deal with them before you pin the boss, forcing you to deal with the only mechanic in that phase that could cause a raid wipe if even small mistakes were made.

But because it was months after our kill, Trion decided it was fine, so whatever. Everyone used that strat, every kill after that point was using that strat. Nobody ever killed it by doing the mechanic that was clearly intended (why else would the robots exist). If we had asked Anony/whoever during progression if we could do that (if we noticed it or tried to just burn the boss and lived long enough to see blast wouldn't be cast) I'm 100% confident they'd have patched the fight and said no. But Trion isn't going to leave a boss basically unkillable for all but 1 guild. Blizzard wouldn't do that either. I don't think any company has the balls these days to do such a thing.

I only played Rift in NT but I do know the concept of having control for better transitions. Pushing/slowing down dps/make a boss delay an ability. Mythic Mannoroth revolves around that strat, you have to delay a decurse or interrupt, stop or push dps so the boss abilities and transitions do not align. Even Mu'ru in Sunwell almost 10 years ago required us to stop dps for an EXTENDED amount of time to have an easy burn phase.
    WoW far worse in regards to ignoring mechanics on kills. Mannoroth's DPS timings are largely around not having Dooms go out with Wraths or with Imps/Storm so you don't have them immediately pop. You aren't really skipping a mechanic, you're doing the mechanic correctly by controlling DPS. You can, however, run an immune-heavy group and immune every single Doom Lord, which greatly simplifies the fight. :|

What happened on Crucia was that we were working on the boss and nobody fucking understood how the phase transitions worked. We had a few ideas and spent pulls testing them (because the boss was completely trivial until the laser wall phase and dealing with that debuff afterwards). We figured out that the phase would only change after a certain ability was cast and under a certain boss health %. We still did every single mechanic in the fight, it's just that because she'd spend more and more time before doing the ability that would precede a phase transition that we could insert more time before the lightning wall phase to give us a window to burn her to 0%. That DPS check was failed, they were supposed to skip that phase entirely and just kill the boss (and that's what we told the devs would happen, and they said it was okay, mainly because they didn't think it was possible to do enough DPS to kill her in that window). The DPS required in that window was higher than the DPS required to kill her and to kill the mini boss after Pumpkin, for example, so it wasn't like "oh lol mechanic is gone" it was like "we'll do this hard thing instead of that hard thing." Apotheosys did it just to try it out and managed to hit the DPS check and kill the boss. Vendetta/Rekt failed the DPS check and had a few seconds to kill her before her pulsing AoE wiped the raid. Most (all?) other guilds didn't have the DPS required to do that strategy, so it wasn't like a "just do this and you get a free kill."

Look at WoW. Invulns completely disable mechanics. It's why Blizzard has to design mechanics that penetrate invulns. Like Xhul's Black Hole mechanic. But at the same time, empowered chains can be completely cheesed if they target someone with an invuln (hunters/mages) which completely trivializes the fight during progression, especially at 715-717 as it was intended. The snapback damage is ENORMOUS and requires huge coordination and healing to deal with (everyone ran 2 heals on that fight because the only healing was the last 20% and snapback, which they just trivialized). Things like that were often considered exploits in Rift. Just using an ability completely disables that mechanic. Completely. It's gone. That's where the line differs between these two games.

The reason I still don't like the Abom pinning thing is because the DPS required to get him to 5% was a complete joke. You gave nothing up for it. Your tanks would take the damage from the council members anyway, so you didn't take more damage (less, in fact, because blast required you to group up which meant your whole raid was likely going to take a hit from some AoE). So doing something that cost you nothing, that was very easy (like hitting an invuln) completely disabled a mechanic, *the* mechanic. You just moved your Abom burn from the end of the fight to the beginning and it essentially trivialized that whole phase. We spent so many fucking pulls trying to time the shields and dealing with buggy shields not protecting people. If we didn't have to deal with that mechanic we'd have killed the boss the first fucking night we got to the last platform after they nerfed the drone damage. That's the kind of trivialization that really crosses that line. What happened on Crucia was only doable by 2 or 3 guilds, it wasn't easier, it didn't trivialize the fight, so I understand why Trion didn't care.

Things like using beacons to intercept a 1-shot mechanic, or druid pets to tank a boss that has an AoE cleave (which pets are immune to) that was difficult to deal with so you can run more DPS and overcome a very hard DPS check. Things like standing out of LoS so that a mechanic doesn't trigger, things like purging a pillar so a mechanic gets disabled. Those are minor things that trivialize fights. Those are exploits. And those are common in WoW, which is sad.
    Last edited by BiggestNoob; 2016-06-18 at 10:26 PM.