TeamViewer Compromised

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on MMO-C:

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...y_are_denying/

You can check your incoming connection log in the TeamViewer install folder.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    I like TeamViewer cause it's simple and works. But otherwise I have VNC setup for my personal computers. I stick TeamViewer on PCs I've fixed cause there's a good chance I gotta fix it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I like TeamViewer cause it's simple and works. But otherwise I have VNC setup for my personal computers. I stick TeamViewer on PCs I've fixed cause there's a good chance I gotta fix it again.
    That's... great? Almost entirely unrelated to the topic, but cool for you.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    That's... great? Almost entirely unrelated to the topic, but cool for you.
    I mention this cause I kinda expect TeamViewer to get hacked. You know how many people would love to hack into your machine through VNC type service? My router tells me that people are looking for unencrypted VNC setups so they can compromise your machine. That's why I don't personally use TeamViewer, and just leave it on other peoples computers. So long as you're not running it 24/7 like an idiot, you should be fine.

Ever get a phone call with someone telling you that your PC is broken or infected? Usually with an Indian accent? They want access to your PC, and will take credit card and bank info. I've had someone actually lose thousands in their savings account due to this. I got as far as someone on the phone asking me to WindowsKey+R, and I was doing this on my Mint 17 machine just to see what would happen. Nothing cause that command doesn't work in Mint. It's fun to tell the scammer I use Linux.

My point is don't use services like TeamViewer, cause this is bound to happen. Take the time to setup a proper VNC. TeamViewer is quick and dirty, which is why I give it to other people. If anyone needs my help, they can start it up for me to have a quick look. VNC requires port forwarding and knowing your IP, which is not something I expect a lot of people to be able to do.

Mine was hacked. I don't have the same password for every website, so there goes Team Viewer's assertion that its only people using the same passwords on multiple sites. I got an email this morning, so I decided to check. My account was used to access 50+ computers. I sent in a ticket, changed my password to something really complex and long.

What world do we live in where Reddit is the de-facto source for news? Where a Reddit link is given as a source?

I fear for the dumbing down of the millennial generation.

I'm not saying the story is false. I'm just merely pointing out, that by using Reddit as a source, you discredit your more intelligent readers that have to look for legitimate sources elsewhere.

As far as I can tell, this only happened for people who used the "unattended access" setup, which I almost never do. I've used TeamViewer to help friends/family members with computer issues, but I always go for the setup where I tell them to download it, read the ID and password that allows me to connect, and uninstall it when I'm done. I never leave the unattended "get in from anywhere at any time with a password" stuff turned on (mainly because of security concerns).

That said, if TeamViewer did indeed get compromised, and they're denying it/blaming it on users, that's very shitty of them. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Ever get a phone call with someone telling you that your PC is broken or infected? Usually with an Indian accent? They want access to your PC, and will take credit card and bank info. I've had someone actually lose thousands in their savings account due to this. I got as far as someone on the phone asking me to WindowsKey+R, and I was doing this on my Mint 17 machine just to see what would happen. Nothing cause that command doesn't work in Mint. It's fun to tell the scammer I use Linux.
    A bit off topic here, but I REALLY hope those guys call me one day so I can fuck with them. I'd seriously give them the 1+ hour "how do I do a double left click? I don't know much about them computer things" call from hell. I always thought it'd be fun to set up a Windows 95 box with nothing on it and let them go to town on that, just so they could scratch their heads trying to figure out why "Computer Management" isn't there (seems like they usually start with that so they can try to scare you with errors/warnings in Event Viewer).

Assuming they could even get any kind of modern remote access software to run on Windows 95, which just occurred to me.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-06-04 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    As far as I can tell, this only happened for people who used the "unattended access" setup, which I almost never do. I've used TeamViewer to help friends/family members with computer issues, but I always go for the setup where I tell them to download it, read the ID and password that allows me to connect, and uninstall it when I'm done. I never leave the unattended "get in from anywhere at any time with a password" stuff turned on (mainly because of security concerns).

That said, if TeamViewer did indeed get compromised, and they're denying it/blaming it on users, that's very shitty of them. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit off topic here, but I REALLY hope those guys call me one day so I can fuck with them. I'd seriously give them the 1+ hour "how do I do a double left click? I don't know much about them computer things" call from hell. I always thought it'd be fun to set up a Windows 95 box with nothing on it and let them go to town on that, just so they could scratch their heads trying to figure out why "Computer Management" isn't there (seems like they usually start with that so they can try to scare you with errors/warnings in Event Viewer).

Assuming they could even get any kind of modern remote access software to run on Windows 95, which just occurred to me.
    I never use unattended access.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has been happening for almost a month now. A friend of mine was one of the early victims,. He caught it while it was happening and managed to shut down all the purchases as soon as they happened, and remotely removed TeamViewer from his computer while he was at work.