Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Gut instinct says no but I don't know what is rumor and what is fact about them.

Deleted
    No.

They should however be no 1 on the "places to smash to bolivian" list

I don't thank many countries have the justification to be on the Human Rights Council. But I guess we have to have one so we can have a group of people sitting around talking about what to do about people abusing human rights. When really.. if you think about it.. the only way to enforce human rights for most is to take it from a few. But we are talking about the UN here. So all it really will be is a money drop, a published paper, and no fucks given a few months later. Such a useless organization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Of course, that excludes the USA.
    Uh . . . go us . . .?

*waves flag*
    Putin khuliyo

Saudi arabia could be the leader of the UN for all I care. We need to get out of the UN ASAP. Its global communism and totally un-American. Get out of the UN and kick them out of the USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are the head of the human rights council
    And no lol they should not even be considered for that but they bribed countries for votes. Britain got caught out I think it was $22 mil in bribes iirc

edit: Of course it is great to shut down any pro UN argument but the reality is the fact that it is absolutely appalling they are given this title and are given sway to any course of discussion involving human rights. This is why I simply disregard anything the UN says that does not conform to my confirmation bias
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can and should be, because if the whole council is a circle jerk of similar opinions there isn't going to be any chance of things improving. There are things in the international setting that come down to differences among cultures, look at how some view firearms ownership in the US or our stance on the death penalty (not to mention a host of other matters).

Like it or not, Islam is widely practiced and that has an impact on people in quite a few countries.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Saudi Arabia is a member of the UN Human Rights Council and has also headed a number of U.N. Committees on Human Rights during the past year.

As citizens of United Nations member states, do you think they should be on the council? Why or why not?
    No, they should not. It is not the first, last, or least ways in which the existence and influence of the OIC within the UN basically undermines and discredits any once-intended purpose to the body. Could disband the UN tomorrow and I wouldn't blink.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. And we should not be trading with them and considering them allies.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I too am keen to see the downfall of America as a world power.
    Then I can understand why you would not want Trump to be elected.

Yes they should, because it just further proves that the un is worthless and a waste of our time and money

- - - Updated - - -

As useless as the UN is the fact they have Britain on the council means pretty much anyone is qualified

- - - Updated - - -

I too am keen to see the downfall of America as a world power.

The us could literally conquer the world, enslave everyone if we wanted. Some wimpy group of globalists isn't doing anything but costing us money?

Deleted
    Should you use a pack of wolves instead of your shepherd-dog?

Same kind of question.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The us could literally conquer the world, enslave everyone if we wanted. Some wimpy group of globalists isn't doing anything but costing us money?
    And how would the US pay for it?
    You couldn't even defeat the Vietcong and you want to win a guerilla war on a global scale?
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-06-03 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

Like it or not, Islam is widely practiced and that has an impact on people in quite a few countries.
    You mean the delightfully Orwellian unelected monarchies that threaten their citizens with murder, imprisonment, torture, loss of citizenship? That they care what is considered Islamically or culturally acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Should you use a pack of wolves instead of your shepherd-dog?

Same kind of question.

And how would the US pay for it?
    You couldn't even defeat the Vietcong and you want to win a guerilla war on a global scale?
    We didn't fight Vietnam as conquerors

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha You could literally bankrupt your country trying you mean.
    we havnt went bankrupt yet

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    There is also Cuba; in some regards, it is worse than both.
    Cuba isnt comparable with saudi arabia... Cubans are poor people in a poor country with limited speech cut off from the western world. It closer to best korea but without work camps or nukes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

It should be noted that most countries do not even meet the requirements of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Europe actively violates the fundemental freedom of religion. The US has issues of racial discrimination.

If one was to use the Universal Declaration as a bench mark no single country would ever sit on the Human Rights Council.

Also remember the concept of the Human Rights Council was actively supported by the US when the EU proposed it.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, and their place should be in front of everyone else, explaining themselves.

All jokes aside, I think any UN member state that wants a seat on it should be afforded one. But if Saudi Arabia wants to be there, they should'n act all outraged if the others tell them how shit their human rights record is.

15+ Year Old Account
    The devil's advocate position is that the role of the UN is not to push all member nations to compete to be the most progressive nations in the membership, and that all voices are important, even national views we, in other countries, might disagree with.

That said, I also feel that the UN should have a policy of establishing standards through treaty documents like the ICESCR and ICCPR, and requiring that member states abide by all principles identified in those treaties, and if any don't, they're excluded from membership in UN panels entirely. At least to a certain number of the treaties, minus perhaps some of the optional ones; let's say any of the light blue/blue countries as listed by the UN here, on having ratified at least 10 of the extant 18 such treaties;
    A reasonable approach.

http://indicators.ohchr.org/

Of course, that excludes the USA.
    What the fuck?! The US has less treaties ratified than saudi arabia?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    We didn't fight Vietnam as conquerors
    Yeah, I know, you always see yourself as liberators.

Just let me do some math.
    There is about 300 million yankees and ther are 7,4 billion people on the planet overall.
    That means each american has to deal with 23 people. And no, they won't line up in front of your gun.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-06-03 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Yeah, I know, you always see yourself as liberators.

Just let me do some math.
    There is about 300 million yankees and ther are 7,4 billion people on the planet overall.
    That means each american has to deal with 23 people. And no, they won't line up in front of your gun.
    The worlds navy is smaller than our navy, we win.