Blue Angels crash kills pilot, Thunderbirds crash pilot unharmed

Sad news from Blue Angels practice outside Nashville, TN yesterday.

A U.S. pilot who was part of the Navy's Blue Angels demonstration team died Thursday after his F/A-18 aircraft crashed in Smyrna, Tenn., southeast of Nashville, according to military and local officials. The Blue Angels had been preparing to hold an air show this weekend.

The jet went down in an open field not far from an apartment complex, local officials said during a news conference Thursday afternoon. The crash occurred some two miles from the runway.
    The Blue Angels crash occurred just hours after another plane in America's elite flying teams went down, as an Air Force Thunderbird crashed near Colorado Springs after performing in an air show commemorating graduation day at the Air Force Academy – a ceremony at which President Obama delivered the commencement address.

In that incident, Major Alex Turner was able to fly his aircraft to an unpopulated area before ejecting. He was unhurt – and even managed to make it back to the airport in time for an impromptu handshake and chat with President Obama on the tarmac, before the president boarded Air Force One.
    From NPR: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...near-nashville

The last Blue Angels crash was in 2007, according to CNN, with the last incident for the Thunderbirds being in 2003. The cause of this crash will probably be under investigation for quite some time.

They already cancelled the Nashville show, but I wonder how it'll affect the rest of the Blue Angel shows this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I honestly think they need to stop having air shows. So many crashes have happened because of them, that I just don't understand why they are still done. These are multimillion dollar aircrafts, so why keep risking them, as well as pilots lives.
    I think it's mostly to generate interest and maybe get a few people to go to the recruiter's office because "that looks so cool; I wanna do that!" I can see that working on some of the impressionable teenagers just getting out of high school.

I live near Nashville and one of my best friends lives in Smyrna, not far from the crash. A lot of the local chatter we're hearing (that is admittedly unconfirmed at the moment) is that the pilot refused an order from his squad commander to punch out so he could try and direct the failing craft away from any civilian buildings, primarily some of the nearby apartment complexes.

10+ Year Old Account
    of course the thunderbirds are unharmed.. they are the thunderbirds!!!!
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

The Thunderbird pilot is from my town and the news would not shut up about it, didn't even hear about the Blue Angel pilot until i looked on facebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    of course the thunderbirds are unharmed.. they are the thunderbirds!!!!
    Thunderbirds are go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    The Thunderbird pilot is from my town and the news would not shut up about it, didn't even hear about the Blue Angel pilot until i looked on facebook.
    oh no not the blue angel! anything but that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Thunderbirds are go!
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

I honestly think they need to stop having air shows. So many crashes have happened because of them, that I just don't understand why they are still done. These are multimillion dollar aircrafts, so why keep risking them, as well as pilots lives.
    Oh yea, define "so many"?

10+ Year Old Account
    The pilots aren't forced and know the risks. All the pilots are daredevils who love nothing more than to push the planea to their limits and display amazing feats of human skill and engineering. People love to watch skilled people do skilled things and see the amazing machines in action. Air shows can also be educational because you get to see a lot of the planes up close and interact with the pilots.

A crash is no reason to stop the shows, especially when they are extremely rare.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Oh yea, define "so many"?
    There's been quite a few popping up in the news lately. Last year there was that really bad one in england that killed about 20 spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by Osoroshii View Post
    I live near Nashville and one of my best friends lives in Smyrna, not far from the crash. A lot of the local chatter we're hearing (that is admittedly unconfirmed at the moment) is that the pilot refused an order from his squad commander to punch out so he could try and direct the failing craft away from any civilian buildings, primarily some of the nearby apartment complexes.
    Those were my exact thoughts as I read this story.

I go to the Abbotsford air show every year with my dad who has his private pilot's licence. I don't care much for the demonstrations but I like seeing the insides of the cockpits. I do like the guy they have in a stunt plane that falls apart as he flies.

I think the reason that they have the airforce demonstration is to boost recruitment. There is always a Canadian military tent there. I don't know what deal we have with the US air force but they are usually the main attraction.