Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Upgrade Help Any Point in Waiting Until Legion?

Hi Guys,
    I want to upgrade my current rig as parts of it are over 6 years old and my frame rates are bottoming out in raids. My current spec is

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjVV3F
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjVV3F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Titan EC-TTC-NC05TZ 46.6 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D ATX LGA1156 Motherboard
    Memory: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£149.89 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 700W ATX Power Supply
    Monitor: Dell U2311H 23.0" 60Hz Monitor
    Total: £257.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 12:19 BST+0100

I only really use my PC to play WoW and the usual – browsing/MS Office etc.
    Are there any new hardware releases in the next couple of months? If so I can wait until just before Legion launches as I am not doing a great deal in WoD.
    I was thinking to change my CPU, MB and RAM to end up with
    PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kYDYcc
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kYDYcc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Titan EC-TTC-NC05TZ 46.6 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£127.54 @ More Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£83.05 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£149.89 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 700W ATX Power Supply
    Monitor: Dell U2311H 23.0" 60Hz Monitor
    Total: £663.44
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 12:21 BST+0100

But I see that this MB is not compatible with my case, is there another MB that would be suitable, or do I need to get a new case too? Also let me know if there is anything else I should be changing.
    My budget is up to around £500. Essentially I want to have WoW run as smooth and as high quality on my rig with the budget I have.
    Thanks in advanced for the advice.

It's not incompatible with your case, you just can't use the USB 3 header with your case since it does not support that, most if not all Skylake motherboard will have that issue, if you don't care for USB 3 on your front panel you can ignore this, one of the downsides of using an old case.

If you power supply is 6 years old you might think about replacing it.

Also you could maybe save a bit of money by buying cheaper RAM, 3000 Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for Skylake, and if all you play is wow even the default speeds of 2133 should be fine.

Deleted
    Re-use your ssd/hdd and gpu and you are set:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.98 @ Novatech)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£109.21 @ More Computers)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£49.49 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.37 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.47 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £503.51
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 14:08 BST+0100

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is there a reason to replace the psu and cooler, or is it just good practice as they are old?

Quote Originally Posted by nickchar View Post
    Is there a reason to replace the psu and cooler, or is it just good practice as they are old?
    The cooler probably doesn't support the new motherboard. I don't know I've never heard of the cooler before and I can't seem to find any info on it.

PSU's degrade over time and since it powers all of the components, you don't want it to go bad and take some of them with it, it's not mandatory and you should be fine with your old one, just keep in mind that it will have lost some of it's capacities.

Cooler has moving parts, they wear out over time, it should be compatible, just need new paste if you want to keep it, however it does not seem like it is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    PSU's degrade over time and since it powers all of the components, you don't want it to go bad and take some of them with it, it's not mandatory and you should be fine with your old one, just keep in mind that it will have lost some of it's capacities.

Cooler has moving parts, they wear out over time, it should be compatible, just need new paste if you want to keep it, however it does not seem like it is very good.
    The cooler is not compatible with LGA 1151 which is what skylake - the cpu Kostatto suggested is. I agree with his suggestion aswell. Coolers do not having moving parts besides the fan which is normally replaceable or if they are a liquid cooler.

His PSU is a bit outdated i'd upgrade that being that if your PSU fails you risk damaging all your components.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    The cooler is not compatible with LGA 1151 which is what skylake - the cpu Kostatto suggested is. I agree with his suggestion aswell. Coolers do not having moving parts besides the fan which is normally replaceable or if they are a liquid cooler.

His PSU is a bit outdated i'd upgrade that being that if your PSU fails you risk damaging all your components.
    Supported Sockets
    AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+, LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, LGA775

copied straight from pc partpicker, Should be fine if he wants to keep it.

Supported Sockets
    AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+, LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, LGA775

copied straight from pc partpicker, Should be fine if he wants to keep it.
    For AMD K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1/FM2
    For Intel LGA 775/1155/1156/1366

Off of their site. ALSO K8 socket that's a thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nickchar View Post
    As others have said according to what iread from manufacturer cpu cooler is not compatible with new sockets. Besides that is not something much, looks mostly just atad better that the intel cooler from the non k ones. Its 25 quid anyway.

Psu, you must change it. Old shit get old and you don't want a old psu powering your pretty much new rig. The psu you have is not bad quality was but nothing really good either. Also something about those old psu's, is that they dont support low power states of newer cpu's. So if your pc goes into standby/hybernation you will have troubles getting it back on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    For AMD K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1/FM2
    For Intel LGA 775/1155/1156/1366

Off of their site. ALSO K8 socket that's a thing.
    There is no difference in the 115x sockets when it comes to coolers, my noctua also did not state it was for 1151 when it came out, works all the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

the useful bit
    "Cooling solutions for sockets LGA 1151, 1150, 1155 and 1156 are interchangeable as they have the same distance of 75 mm between each screw hole"

It's not incompatible with your case, you just can't use the USB 3 header with your case since it does not support that, most if not all Skylake motherboard will have that issue, if you don't care for USB 3 on your front panel you can ignore this, one of the downsides of using an old case.

If you power supply is 6 years old you might think about replacing it.

Also you could maybe save a bit of money by buying cheaper RAM, 3000 Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for Skylake, and if all you play is wow even the default speeds of 2133 should be fine.
    You can always get a USB3 to USB2 adapter - they're about $10, and while you won't be able to get USB3 speeds, you'll still be be able to use the USB port on the front panel.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

There is no difference in the 115x sockets when it comes to coolers, my noctua also did not state it was for 1151 when it came out, works all the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

the useful bit
    "Cooling solutions for sockets LGA 1151, 1150, 1155 and 1156 are interchangeable as they have the same distance of 75 mm between each screw hole"
    it's always better to be safe than sorry being that the mounting pressures between the sockets varys. IE the skylake line and bendgate lol

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will go with Kostattoo's suggested build to be on the safe side and not worry about anything blowing up or not being compatible. Cheers again.