Upgrading for WoW graphics performance Legion

Hi

Want to upgrade for better graphics in Legion but everywhere I read conflicting information regarding how wow uses Cpu and Gpu these days.

My current system was awesome in MoP but has dropped off since WoD.

Intel i5-4670
    Evo hyper 212
    Asus z87k mobo
    Asus gtx 760
    8gb Crucial ddr3 1600 ram
    Corsair 600watt psu
    Seagate barracuda 1tb hd
    Windows 8.1 (classic she'll installed....)

What I'm wondering is. Is wow still a "processor game" or is it now more reliant on GPU?

If I wanted to get best bang for my buck, is a move to a 970/1070 a better bet than a processor upgrade?

I've googled lots on this and seem to get only conflicting opinions.

Cheers

R

760 is more than enough GPU for WoW what problems are you having? Im running an evga sc 760 and a 2500k and i never see below 60 FPS on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    760 is more than enough GPU for WoW what problems are you having? Im running an evga sc 760 and a 2500k and i never see below 60 FPS on high.
    Yeah, 60 fps on High is about what I get, sometimes more. However, I'd like to run on ultra (as I did on MoP) and also potentially take advantage of the next tier or graphics they are adding beyond ultra which adds much greater view distance.

I can afford to upgrade right now but as I mentioned, info on wether cpu or gpu are he best upgrades for wow seem conflicting.

Cheers

It's hard to say at this point since the Legion client hasn't been optimized yet and is running in debug mode sending a ton more data back to Blizzard than the live client does. But WOW hits the CPU more than the GPU since it does so many calculations of every other player and such so 4 or more cores at the highest possible speed is always best since you have a pretty good GPU already. But to just give you an idea I currently have a i7-6700k OC'd to 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR4, and a GTX 970 and had to dial it down to High Settings with some custom options because Val'sharah was giving me some large FPS drops.

Honestly I would wait until pre-patch (expected around 7/19) and see how the game runs for you you before deciding on upgrades.

Your PC is more than enough. It runs just fine on an AMD X4 955, so you'll have no problem on a CPU that's twice as powerful.

The 760 is about 25% more than the recommended card. Upgrade later if you want, but you don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Your PC is more than enough. It runs just fine on an AMD X4 955, so you'll have no problem on a CPU that's twice as powerful.

The 760 is about 25% more than the recommended card. Upgrade later if you want, but you don't need to.
    Thanks. Yeah wow runs fine, even if it does sometimes make my GPU a bit noisey.

I should have been more specific in my OP in stating that I wanted to run on ultra+ in legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merilwen View Post

Honestly I would wait until pre-patch (expected around 7/19) and see how the game runs for you you before deciding on upgrades.
    Thanks. That seems a good idea. I'll probably hold off on upgrades for now.

Cheers

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    Yeah, 60 fps on High is about what I get, sometimes more. However, I'd like to run on ultra (as I did on MoP) and also potentially take advantage of the next tier or graphics they are adding beyond ultra which adds much greater view distance.

I can afford to upgrade right now but as I mentioned, info on wether cpu or gpu are he best upgrades for wow seem conflicting.

Cheers
    The RAM is enough and fine, the hdd is fine, the mobo and cpu are also fine. If you wait until the end of June, then AMD will release the new 480 (or 490, can't remember) if you get 2 and put them into crossfire, they'll be faster than the 1080, and only cost..........200$ each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Currently, I am my boss. And despite my complaints to HR, I simply will not stop sexually harassing myself.

Complete waste of money to upgrade just for WoW. If FPS meters didnt exist you literally couldnt tell a difference in WoW between a 760 and 1080's in SLI.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Not entirely if you have settings on ultra and view distance maxed.

@OP, what resolution are you playing the game at? If it's above 1920x1080, then you definitely could use a better GPU.

Wait for third party vendor versions of the 1070 and 1080 to come out and figure out how much graphical power you need.

If WoW is your main game, a 1070 is likely more than enough, if you also want to play more intense games graphically, especially above 1080p, then a 1080 might suit you.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If WoW is your main game, a 1070 is likely more than enough, if you also want to play more intense games graphically, especially above 1080p, then a 1080 might suit you.
    I agree with this but its a large investment. the 1070 I believe is better than the most recent titan even. It's almost a future proof thing for at least a couple years for any other games you might want to play. If the price difference isn't too much of an issue, grab the 1070 over the 970, there's a large difference.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No reason to buy 900 series cards except for impatience/absolute NEED IT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE MY GPU IS BROKEN AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY GAMES AT ALL, which is basically still impatience...

So really, don't buy a 900 series card unless you're just impatient. You'll be disappointed though, when you see what you could have gotten by waiting mere days.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    No reason to buy 900 series cards except for impatience/absolute NEED IT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE MY GPU IS BROKEN AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY GAMES AT ALL
    Yeah, that was me back in Jan when my 670 fried and I was forced to get a 970. At least I got a free copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider out of the deal :P