Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Jokes aside, aren't lightsabers supposed to have an adjustment knob to control the length of the blade?
    If they do, they never talk about it in the movies.

As far as blaster bolts go, they're not really lasers. More like bolts of Plasma. Which kinda puts a damper on that cool scene in TFA where Kylo Ren stops a Blaster projectile in it's tracks. As Plasma would cool down the longer it's been fired and thus would be reduced to nothing when the projectile finally resumes it's course.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphalitz View Post
    When I say fearful, it’s more in the sense that they don’t want to imagine these things could possibly exist in space somewhere or could exist. Just thinking about sci-fi troubles them and as a result, avoid these type of movies all together.

I’m serious though. I’ve heard of people being scared to even go into space if they had the chance but never like afraid of imagining.
    Sorry, that just sounds ludicrous to me. The first part, I mean. The second part, yeah, sure I've heard of people who wouldn't want to go into space(hell, I don't want to go into space either), that's not rare. But I've never fucking heard of that stopping any of them from watching sci-fi movies. Likewise, I've heard of people who are afraid to swim in the ocean, but it doesn't stop them from watching Jaws, or The Abyss, or any other "deep sea" movie. There are PLENTY of people are afraid to go to war but that doesn't mean they don't still consider Platoon and Full Metal Jacket masterpieces. Lots of people are worried about crime/criminals, but it doesn't prevent them from watching Breaking Bad, Scarface, Reservoir Dogs, and so on...

Not at all. I'd actually love it if some of the things we see in science fiction became reality. Space exploration would be pretty awesome.

Also: remember that one Star Trek TNG episode where they found the capsule in space that had humans from centuries ago frozen in it? One of the people in it was pretty much completely eaten up with cancer, and they were like "no problem, we can zap that away and regenerate the vital organs, just need a few seconds"
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-06-08 at 02:04 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds like they are just scared of being scared in general.

I know several people, normally girls, who refuse to watch anything too scary, especially horror. Since there's a lot of overlap with sci-fi and horror, particularly after the success of the Alien series, they won't watch those except under limited circumstances.

In my opinion, most sci-fi is extremely hopeful about the possibilities progress can or will bring about, the implications to civilizations anywhere in the universe for its discovery, uses our native sense of curiosity to explore the world around us, including bringing scenarios and stories to people that may otherwise never have seen or even imagined them.

For example, there are many, many more people in the developing world than developed world and most of them are concerned with just hand-to-mouth living and looking after their families with what little they can see in front of them. The rare movies they see there can have a huge impact on them, bring dreams and offering possibilities to improve their lot, often very early in life when it makes the most difference.

It is not lightly said that sci-fi in books, TV and movies, is one of the biggest inspirations for many people to take up Science/STEM related education and careers. Star Trek, in particular, is very well known for that effect everywhere in the world.

If we're going to be distracted by the consumption of ever more content, I would rather it be something that could inspire or improve people's lives ...

So I’m asking if any of you have the same thoughts as the people I’ve met?
    No, because that is irrational. Though I wonder if these people you speak to also avoid horror films and documentaries?

Reality tv is cancer and lies.

And not watching a sci fi flick has no bearing on it coming true or not. Sticking your head in the ground is silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Sticking your head in the ground is silly.
    Well... The thing is, being completely aware of what the world is and what we are, and then seeing all the possibilities, even within the limits of the laws of physics, it can be quite "soulcrushing" to realize how pointless this all is, and how little we actually get to experience and how insignificant we end up being. So, I mean, sometimes one wonders if it wouldn't be better to take the blue pill. Ignorance is bliss and all that. Having said that, it does obviously depend on the person as to how little they're happy to settle with, and thus be much less depressed about how little they actually have in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, even if knowing everything I know of the world and myself depresses the hell out of me and makes everything seem like it's completely pointless, I'd still probably go with the knowledge rather than be blissfully ignorant.

On topic this means that perhaps one might want to avoid sci-fi to not see all the amazing stuff that actually might be possible, because it's not, nor will it ever be for them.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-06-13 at 04:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird, I actually tend to avoid everything but sci-fi movies.

No, but I wish we could return to more interesting plot lines (ala 2001 or Contact).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Recently I’ve met a few people who avoid science-fiction movies/shows because they are fearful of that becoming a reality. Like they don’t want to even imagine what could possibly be out there in space.
    That's a strange observation to make... Personally, imagining what could be out there is incredibly appealing to me, but hey..different strokes.

Well, yes, as I yet have to see an SF-movie that doesn't look like some retarded brand of fantasy or simply too goofy,

Nope some of the best movies is scifi, event horizon and the alien movies, or alien and aliens. But there is tons of shitty b scifi's to.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you close your eyes, and wish hard enough, maybe it will go away! lol

What a ridiculous concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by sci-fi you mean the geeky star wars/trek stuff, then yes, I tend to avoid those kind of movies just because I have zero interest in them. Not because I am afraid of them, but just because they're absolutely boring to me.

I do like Avatar and Alien for example though.

I've never heard anyone avoiding sci-fi because they fear it becoming reality. Most people I know that refuse to see movies like star wars and others, say that they feel it's too unrealistic and distant from their own lives in some cases, other cases the explanation is that sci-fi is stupid. In the latter case, the person is often a fan of romantic comedies and reality TV.
    Mother pus bucket!

the only sci-fi technology that scares me is teleporters. They're destroying you, and making an exact copy of you at the other end. YOU are dead. Your clone then assumes your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Let those people pack up and go join an Amish community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    the only sci-fi technology that scares me is teleporters. They're destroying you, and making an exact copy of you at the other end. YOU are dead. Your clone then assumes your life.
    Those are specifically Star Trek teleporters.

In science, there is in fact a quite well-theorized method to span space-time by creating a hole through it, in which case real teleportation would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Get the best of both worlds and watch Running Man

Fucking Running Man.

YEAAUGH, I AM BEN RICHARDS. I AM FROM BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIA YEAUUUGH
    Are you Arnold? Are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently I’ve met a few people who avoid science-fiction movies/shows because they are fearful of that becoming a reality. Like they don’t want to even imagine what could possibly be out there in space. Personally, I love science-fiction and can’t get enough of it and I think as a human, we should all have some sort of curiosity as to what is beyond the stars. I just find it strange when people say they try to avoid it and stick to realistic things.

So I’m asking if any of you have the same thoughts as the people I’ve met?
    People who really fear them becoming reality are the same people who should not read fiction, Sci-fi has always had some truth in the future but never it becomes the full dystopian society some write about, it is an interesting branch of fiction of what 'could be' especially if you can understand the layers in it by connecting it to the time it was written in.

No fiction is realistic, none if people stick to shows like CSI for realism all they are getting is a completely mispainted picture of how crime fighting actually works for example.