View Poll Results: Do you agree with Elon?

Voters
238. This poll is closed
  • I need more info

63 26.47%
  • No, he's wrong

105 44.12%
  • He's party right

48 20.17%
  • Elon is correct

22 9.24%
Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Elon Musk says were living in a simulation, here's his argument

He says look at computer games. First we had pong, 2 paddles and a dot that simulated a tennis game. Today what 30-40 years later we have multiplayer games that simulate whole worlds pretty accurately and with hundreds of other players sharing the game, think WoW or GTA 5. And the sophistication of these simulations are growing all the time. What kind of simulations will we have in 40 years time? He says simulations by then will indistinguishable from reality.

So that's why he believes we are living in a simulation. In fact he said there is only a one out of a billion chance that we are living in "base reality". "Base reality" meaning the real world or simulation level 0.

Do you buy into Elon's theory?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of whether he is correct, his reasoning is wrong. Just because (if) we will be able to create simulations indistinguishable from reality, doesn't mean that the reality is also a simulation. Who simulates our reality? Who simulates the reality in which our reality is simulated? Is there the end to this chain? If there is none, then does talking about simulation even make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Hah yeah right and the ocean is made of orange juice.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

"Elon's theory"

Yeah right. Stop treating him like he's a new Steve Jobs. Neither invented anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is not a new theory...

Is the Universe a Simulation? Scientists Debate
    http://www.space.com/32543-universe-...ov-debate.html

Alan Watts talked about it, but it has become more popular among physicists/cosmologists, namely Max Tegmark.

Personally, I think it is an interesting idea one could entertain if one got really high on weed.

So, it's interesting, and that's pretty much my stance.
    I think philosophers have talked about this for hundreds of years, but they would've said "a dream" or "a magical Chinese box" instead of simulation.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

i explained this theory to a 60+yr old the other day and they thought i was crazy. i dont believe it true, but i also dont believe its not true. it is very much a possibility and for religious people to bawk at it, well i find that highly amusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is not a new theory...

Is the Universe a Simulation? Scientists Debate
    http://www.space.com/32543-universe-...ov-debate.html

Alan Watts talked about it, but it has become more popular among physicists/cosmologists, namely Max Tegmark.

Personally, I think it is an interesting idea one could entertain if one got really high on weed.

So, it's interesting, and that's pretty much my stance.
    Absolutely interesting, as is considering ways to test the theory. Reminds me of Plato's allegory of the cave, of course. Beyond that, though, doesn't really change anything for us. Our reality is our reality and we have to live with it regardless of what it is made of.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Matrix confirmed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Matrix confirmed?
    If we get out do we get to experience an orgyrave in a cave?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think philosophers have talked about this for hundreds of years
    The feigned ignorance of your Hubcap character is always amusing. I do sometimes wonder what you really think though.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

I think philosophers have talked about this for hundreds of years, but they would've said "a dream" or "a magical Chinese box" instead of simulation.
    The most known is Cartesius/Descartes "with his idea of a demon feeding your eyes impressions (from 1641).

The leap from being able to simulate something to having a complete universe indistinguishable from the real deal is very large; and I don't see anything supporting this - I also note that it is now 1 in a billion that we are in the real world, the previous number I saw was 1/3 or 2/3.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a simulation is indistinguishable from reality, who's to say it isn't reality?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This is usually called Omega Point theory. It comes in several flavors, one of which is that the universe collapses and can process activities so well that reality continues on as a process in a singularity while a new universe expands from the collapse.

It's a neat idea, but not particularly useful. It fails for the same reason the Fermi Paradox does. Failure is erratic and the chance for catastrophic obliteration increases faster than progress toward surpassing it does.

As to his theory that simulation will get too close to reality and be indistinguishable, the guy needs to take some art history classes. We've crossed that road several times, and each time we hit that perfection and move drastically away from it after being freed from the back breaking task of seeking perfection.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The most known is Cartesius/Descartes "with his idea of a demon feeding your eyes impressions (from 1641)
    The basic idea is much, much older than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    He says look at computer games. First we had pong, 2 paddles and a dot that simulated a tennis game. Today what 30-40 years later we have multiplayer games that simulate whole worlds pretty accurately and with hundreds of other players sharing the game, think WoW or GTA 5. And the sophistication of these simulations are growing all the time. What kind of simulations will we have in 40 years time? He says simulations by then will indistinguishable from reality.

So that's why he believes we are living in a simulation. In fact he said there is only a one out of a billion chance that we are living in "base reality". "Base reality" meaning the real world or simulation level 0.

Do you buy into Elon's theory?
    It's not "his theory". That idea has been around for a long time.
    OT: No.

I think it might be possible. Lets say their are being who are of a higher intelligence than we are. They want to create a computer simulation of living ecosystem on a planet in a universe and they want it to behave like its alive. Maybe they want to simulate it so that living things evolve and think they are alive. It would be like a paleontology and anthropology experiment for them. Maybe beings who are at a higher intelligence than them are simulating their world in a computer heh heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better yet, what if the Universe is a living organism?

Each solar system could be looked at like it was an atom. Planets could be like electrons, and the star a nucleus.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    I saw the matrix too

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you heard another Elon Musk's Theory? E = MC^2. Matter = Energy and thus we are living in a simulation.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Didnt we already live in an alternate time line thanks to the Berenstain Bears?