View Poll Results: Do you agree with Elon?

Voters
238. This poll is closed
  • I need more info

63 26.47%
  • No, he's wrong

105 44.12%
  • He's party right

48 20.17%
  • Elon is correct

22 9.24%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    The basic idea is much, much older than that.
    It's always hard to define exactly what is an idea; and much that is obvious to us now wasn't at that time - which means that we add interpretations; especially when the stories are allegories.
    Plato's cave is more that many don't see the true world, only a dim glimpse or shadow of it - not that we see something completely different from reality.
    Cartesius is that what we see has nothing to do with reality; and that some external agent is doing that.

There are probably many others with ideas, that we could interpret as something similar as simulation - the question is whether it was intended as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    To anyone that said no... Can you definitively prove we live in base reality?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I saw the matrix too
    Yeah, "Too bad they never made any sequels".

Deleted
    Poll needs another option; Musk is mentally retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    My god can everyone please stop repeating everything that comes out of his mouth? It's like a shitty meme at this point.
    Puupi likes Elon.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    Nostradamus predicted base reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    No, he is wrong.

Technology will likely be pretty far advanced in 30-40 years though.
    How do you know we aren't actually 50 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    What's needed is to prove that we're living in a simulated universe. Since the principle of the simulation theory is that a simulated universe is indistinguishable from reality, it is unfalsifiable and worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So that's why he believes we are living in a simulation. In fact he said there is only a one out of a billion chance that we are living in "base reality". "Base reality" meaning the real world or simulation level 0.

Do you buy into Elon's theory?
    http://i.imgur.com/3BRwkZm.png

My problem with this argument is that the simulations we deliberately create try very hard to minimize suffering for their users. No such design considerations exist in the real world, which makes the comparison seem much less valid. There's a huge difference between "simulated world that we design because it makes us happier than reality" and "simulated world with no rules or design constraints, created...just to prove it can be done I guess?". I imagine the latter would be far less likely to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    My problem with this argument is that the simulations we deliberately create try very hard to minimize suffering for their users. No such design considerations exist in the real world, which makes the comparison seem much less valid. There's a huge difference between "simulated world that we design because it makes us happier than reality" and "simulated world with no rules or design constraints, created...just to prove it can be done I guess?". I imagine the latter would be far less likely to exist.
    guess we play different games then... this life could be a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Can you prove we're not in base reality? See what I did there?

It's pointless conjecture.
    That's actually my point. It's not really possible to say one way or the other. So in essence it is pointless, making "need more info" the only correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    "Elon's theory"

Yeah right. Stop treating him like he's a new Steve Jobs. Neither invented anything.
    Yeah I find this type of treatment annoying as well. He might be a smart guy, that's for sure. But whenever I read articles about "Elon thought this thing first", I'm like... nope. He might agree with these theories and such, but he hardly invented them. I don't believe anyone has true "ownership" over an idea either.

Hell I've had conversations on MMO-C with people about such theories, we're just not famous enough for people to write an article about our ideas.

It is always good to read bad philosophy so one can laugh at something between reads.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Hah yeah right and the ocean is made of orange juice.
    Is this real life? Is this just Fanta sea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang, we're a pretty boring simulation if that's true.

Either the op is bad at summarizing or Elon Musk is incredibly bad at logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Slythan View Post
    Either the op is bad at summarizing or Elon Musk is incredibly bad at logic.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...oop-simulation
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0c3752dccceb2

The latter is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He says look at computer games. First we had pong, 2 paddles and a dot that simulated a tennis game. Today what 30-40 years later we have multiplayer games that simulate whole worlds pretty accurately and with hundreds of other players sharing the game, think WoW or GTA 5. And the sophistication of these simulations are growing all the time. What kind of simulations will we have in 40 years time? He says simulations by then will indistinguishable from reality.

So that's why he believes we are living in a simulation. In fact he said there is only a one out of a billion chance that we are living in "base reality". "Base reality" meaning the real world or simulation level 0.

Do you buy into Elon's theory?
    It's not really a useful theory when he has no evidence for this besides intuition. No one would've proposed this 50 years ago.

Lots of questions would come up. Mostly "Why?" and "Why can't we get out of it, then?" and just about any answer to those delves into conspiracy theory territory, with some malevolent, fictional force keeping us all against our will.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Dang, we're a pretty boring simulation if that's true.
    5/10, the graphics are great but pay 2 win is everywhere and the ending is garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only interesting thing about the theory is if it were to provide ways in which to prove or disprove it. I wont deny people the fun of arguing over it, but we already have religion with unfalsifiable claims, i dont see the value of adding more. If we live in a simulation so perfect that its indistinguishable from reality, theres no point in treating it different than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    5/10, the graphics are great but pay 2 win is everywhere and the ending is garbage.
    ISIS: the worst villains since MCU.